PDA

View Full Version : “That looks fabulous on you…”

Claire Cook
06-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Several of you have recently posted compliments you have received from other women. A great feeling indeed .. although with my bony legs and knobby knees, they are unlikely. But yesterday I received a comment that I just had to share.

First, a little background. As I’ve hinted in a few recent posts, I’ve been having withdrawal from not enough about and about time, so the best way to deal with that is to go shopping. :battingeyelashes: So yesterday the girls took off to the Vero Outlet Center. After a few utilitarian stops we hit Chico’s, where Sue buys most of her clothes. As soon as we walked in my eye went to some striking orange print maxi dresses, but since I normally don’t wear (or buy) dresses, I started looking at other things. One of the SA’s came up and asked me about size, since they have their own sizes. After a brief discussion: “You’re probably a 0 on top, and maybe a 1 on the bottom.” After picking out some tops and bottoms to try, another SA asked if she could start a dressing room for me. “Oh yes, thanks.” After trying on a number of things I found two tops that I really liked, and took them to the counter. “Shall I hold these for you?” “Yes, we’ll probably find something else. You can keep ours together.”

So I look at other things, and finally came back to those dresses. And then again. The SA: “You’re tall enough that these should work for you. Would you like to try them on?” (Did she have to ask??) So I took the 0 and the 1 and tried them on … the 0 was too tight on top but the 1 felt really good. I went out of the dressing room and used the full-length mirror on the hallway, when a lady going into one of the rooms looked at me and said “That looks fabulous on you!” That took me totally aback, and I looked at her. “No really, that is a terrific print and just looks great.” Wow … I thanked her and then realized that other woman in the store picked on up that and gave me what I thought were approving looks. I’ve never spent more than $50 for any women’s clothes, and even with the 30% discount this was over that … but (you know this feeling, right?) I just HAD to have that dress. At checkout: “Do you have a Chico’s account?” “No, we’ll use my wife’s.” (No reaction.) As we were leaving the SA asked Sue: “Did she go for the zero or the one?”

You can just imagine how I felt, and I thanked the lady again for her comment .. and the encouragement. Now I’ll know to do the same for other women who are trying things on, and I’ll remember to do that more often when I see women wearing clothes that really look good. It really makes a girl’s day!

Marcelle
06-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Hi Claire,

Sounds like a great day and a great compliment. You know . . . we have to see pictures of that dress now :)

Hugs

Isha

alwayshave
06-17-2015, 06:05 AM
Claire, great story and I'm glad you received a well deserved compliment.

deebra
06-17-2015, 06:52 AM
Claire I can relate to those compliments and how good and accepted it made you feel, so happy for you. Your post said the lady complimented you, other women approved, when you were leaving the SA referred to you as she; they all accepted you as a male wearing female clothing and they were all O.K. with it, hope they all receive a special blessing for that wonderful way to look at another person. A little confused, I know all people are different but for them to accept you so well and others don't ????, compared with how "different" others and young people dress today and are accepted. I was in a PayLess trying on pumps and received positive compliments from some elderly ladies and the very helpful SA so I know how you felt, I bought the pumps and walked the mall, received some intense looks and giggles. The elderly ladies in my case came from a different period and one would think their acceptance would be negative but it wasn't, the younger females in the mall got off on giggles and ???? As Forrest Gump said, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.

kimdl93
06-17-2015, 06:58 AM
For fun!

Sarasometimes
06-17-2015, 07:00 AM
I have noticed that women much more often than men give unsolicited compliments to others. I have added this behavior to when I'm en male with great feedback and it make the giver feel good too!.

Claire Cook
06-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Thanks all for the sweet comments!

Your post said the lady complimented you, other women approved, when you were leaving the SA referred to you as she; they all accepted you as a male wearing female clothing and they were all O.K. with it, hope they all receive a special blessing for that wonderful way to look at another person. A little confused, I know all people are different but for them to accept you so well and others don't ????,

Hi Deebra,

You make a great point. When I came to realize that "passing" meant being accepted as "me" -- whether perceived as a male comfortable in women's clothes or as female, that was a big step for me. here in Florida most of the ladies I interact with are "more senior", and they always have treated me politely. they seem to take the realization that I am a guy in stride, and yes, people with these reactions should be blessed! I really don't understand why others don't maybe a matter of courtesy?

I have noticed that women much more often than men give unsolicited compliments to others. I have added this behavior to when I'm en male with great feedback and it make the giver feel good too!.

Sara, this is great advice for all of us!

StephanieCLT
06-17-2015, 08:59 AM
I love the comment at the end that I almost missed, "Did SHE go for the 0 or the 1?" :)

Jean 103
06-17-2015, 09:09 AM
As Deebra said being accepted is a great feeling. I have received comments on just about everything from young to old, about jewelry, hair,eyes,nails, shoes and more. I always thank them as it is all about being accepted. Sounds like you had a great day and were accepted for just being yourself.
Love Jean

Tracii G
06-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Great story and I'm happy you had a positive experience.
Chico's is a great store I shop there a lot and the SA's are the best.

suzanne
06-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Good for you! Did that feel great or what? Are you now a customer for life? I sure would be. Even if the prices are a bit out of your range, it's probably worth saving a bit longer to get the quality, fit and especially service.

Kandi Robbins
06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
For me, the interaction between other women shopping and/or the SAs really make a particular shopping experience memorable. I have certain items of clothing that make me remember a complement or the help of a particular SA, so I know you will always think about that customer's complement when you wear that dress. Great story!

Kristy 56
06-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Claire good for you ! Cost of dress $$$$. Compliments received priceless ! The Vero a Beach outlets are a little too close to home for me,but so happy that you had such a wonderful time :)

Ally 2112
06-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Always great to hear a positive story when shopping .Thanks for sharing Claire!:)

BLUE ORCHID
06-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi Claire, That sounds like it really made your day.:hugs:

Claire Cook
06-18-2015, 05:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Yes, that REALLY made my day -- I think I'm still on the high. The kind of affirmation I wish we could all have!

Great story and I'm happy you had a positive experience.
Chico's is a great store I shop there a lot and the SA's are the best.

Good for you! Did that feel great or what? Are you now a customer for life? I sure would be. Even if the prices are a bit out of your range, it's probably worth saving a bit longer to get the quality, fit and especially service.

My wife has shopped Chico's for years, and now -- yes .. I've started. I really like the feel of their stuff. And yes, Tracii, the SA's could not be nicer. At least Sue gets the sales coupons ... :battingeyelashes:

Collette Z
06-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Several of you have recently posted compliments you have received from other women. A great feeling indeed .. although with my bony legs and knobby knees, they are unlikely. But yesterday I received a comment that I just had to share.

First, a little background. As I’ve hinted in a few recent posts, I’ve been having withdrawal from not enough about and about time, so the best way to deal with that is to go shopping. :battingeyelashes: So yesterday the girls took off to the Vero Outlet Center. After a few utilitarian stops we hit Chico’s, where Sue buys most of her clothes. As soon as we walked in my eye went to some striking orange print maxi dresses, but since I normally don’t wear (or buy) dresses, I started looking at other things. One of the SA’s came up and asked me about size, since they have their own sizes. After a brief discussion: “You’re probably a 0 on top, and maybe a 1 on the bottom.” After picking out some tops and bottoms to try, another SA asked if she could start a dressing room for me. “Oh yes, thanks.” After trying on a number of things I found two tops that I really liked, and took them to the counter. “Shall I hold these for you?” “Yes, we’ll probably find something else. You can keep ours together.”

So I look at other things, and finally came back to those dresses. And then again. The SA: “You’re tall enough that these should work for you. Would you like to try them on?” (Did she have to ask??) So I took the 0 and the 1 and tried them on … the 0 was too tight on top but the 1 felt really good. I went out of the dressing room and used the full-length mirror on the hallway, when a lady going into one of the rooms looked at me and said “That looks fabulous on you!” That took me totally aback, and I looked at her. “No really, that is a terrific print and just looks great.” Wow … I thanked her and then realized that other woman in the store picked on up that and gave me what I thought were approving looks. I’ve never spent more than $50 for any women’s clothes, and even with the 30% discount this was over that … but (you know this feeling, right?) I just HAD to have that dress. At checkout: “Do you have a Chico’s account?” “No, we’ll use my wife’s.” (No reaction.) As we were leaving the SA asked Sue: “Did she go for the zero or the one?”

You can just imagine how I felt, and I thanked the lady again for her comment .. and the encouragement. Now I’ll know to do the same for other women who are trying things on, and I’ll remember to do that more often when I see women wearing clothes that really look good. It really makes a girl’s day!

SA? I don't know that one. Help a girl out.

Claire Cook
06-19-2015, 04:13 AM
SA? I don't know that one. Help a girl out.

Sales Assistant .... I think ...

Claire Cook
06-19-2015, 06:12 AM
I think it's Sales ​​Associate....