PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming that last dressing hurdle

Marcelle
06-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Hi all,

As I move closer and closer to presenting more often and public in line with my GID of the day, I have come to the realization that the "kid ain't fooling anyone". Specifically, people will always see a guy when they look at me. So with that in mind, I decided it was finally time to hurdle that last fence which kept me from dressing casually and comfortably when I was out an about during the warm weather. Particularly my "guy arms". Now I hold no illusion I am Arnie S, but years of weights have produced very guy arms and I have gone to great lengths to hide them. Long sleeve tops, sweaters and what not. Now for the most part there is no issue with sweaters or long sleeves but, on really warm days I can heat up like boiler and wearing long sleeves is downright uncomfortable. So I decided to just bite the bullet and go public with a short sleeve top.

So yesterday I had a day off and decided to run errands in casual jeans girl mode. My wife had bought a top which she did not like but I loved but dared not wear without a sweater. So yesterday, I just wore it and went out . . . okay, I admit I did have my sweater security blanket on hand should others point and stare but it did have a practical use as public buses can be quite chilly depending on how high the AC is :). So I wore the sweater initially on the bus as it was cold but once I exited downtown, I removed the sweater and just went about my business. Now, I caught people staring but for the most part it was a non-event and I just went about my day. To be honest, if felt nice to no longer hide that part of me and if people saw a guy at the point . . . oh well . . . I still felt like a woman and more importantly, I was finally comfortable.

Now before anyone chimes in with body art and farmer's tan comments . . . check got it. However, I have seen plenty of gals sporting some fairly manly body art which makes mine look downright feminine and women can have farmer's as well . . . it is still a work in progress but getting better. So below are some pics I snapped before heading out. It is finally nice to be liberated from sweaters . . . next item will be a sleeveless sun dress. :)

Hugs

Isha

Bridget Ann Gilbert
06-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Hi Isha,

Love the look and am happy to see your growing confidence. Don't make too much fuss about your "manly" arms. You have a great role model in Caitlyn Jenner. She still has very well sculpted arms from all of her years of working out. You both look very attractive.

Hugs,
Bridget

jennygirl65
06-25-2015, 08:09 AM
You look great. That is exactly how I like to dress when I go out. Keep it up.

jasminetv2
06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Heck with the "guy" arms, I'm checking out those back pockets in your jeans

Teresa
06-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Isha,
When dressing becomes more normal , you realise how many more choices you have in ways of covering up or exposing your body as guys the choice is more limited and lets face it more boring !
I look at my little collection and realise there's work to do to to get different looks, I don't have tatts but as you pointed out a while ago I have the problem with raised veins on my arms which GGs don't get so much, as long as I keep them hair free and avoid the farmer's tan they will have to do !
I just wonder if some of the looks you get are people simply trying to read your tatts, they do attract the eye !
Why worry too much, you feel OK about being out and being Isha , I would think you're finding the more confident you get the less people appear to make an issue over it !

Nadine Spirit
06-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Funny enough, I have been thinking of a thread you started awhile ago about this very subject. I have bern going without covering my arms this summer and have been SO enjoying it. I figured the same thing you have. People are seeing me as a guy alreqdy, so who am I fooling by wearing longer sleeves? No one! I'm just warm.

Good for you Isha. You look great!

Heidi Stevens
06-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Congrats on conquering that bump! Now you've got a whole new area open to you as far as wardrobe. Hey, I know it gets hot in Canada at least 3 or 4 days a year, so you can't wear parkas all the time!:D
I know several women who would trade for your arms in a minute. Enjoy your new freedom!

Krisi
06-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Isha, I've never seen you "live", but in your photos you always look pretty feminine to me.

This is a nice outfit and look for a "normal" female running errands and shopping.

UNDERDRESSER
06-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Guy arms ...huh. You should come walk round my workplace. We have more than a few GG climbers, their arms could put yours to shame!

Katey888
06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Isha, you look great! :)

As you correctly observe, there are many more women working out nowadays, and not just aerobics either - soooo... you just look like a bit of a fit girl. :)

Nice bum too.. :D (no homo... ;))

Katey x

docrobbysherry
06-25-2015, 09:58 AM
I think its great that u don't mind seeing a man in a dress in your mirror. Obsessing about seeing a woman in there can be frustrating to some of us.

I happen to be one of those closet dressers with that obsession. And, it is my belief that if u really want to see a woman is your mirror and pix, u can. In my case it requires every trick in the book to appear to be a young female. But, to me its all worth it. I found your discomfort at wearing a warm sweater to be kind of funny. Consider the discomfort, perspiration, and flat out pain I bear happily to create a female illusion.

I honestly wish I didn't mind appearing as a men in a dress. It would make my dressing and life out dressed simpler and less stressful. But, it wouldn't be near as much fun or as exciting!

Bria
06-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Isha, there a lot of women that have upper arms that are not small, it depends on age and fat distribution to some extent. Not saying that yours are fat, just thinking size. I know the farmer tan problem. last weekend I was outside at the race track and forgot to get some sun on the upper arms, so last night when I went to the local girls nite out in a sleeveless dress I used a little foundation to blend from the white upper arm to the tan lower arm. It looked better to me, but I don't know what others saw.

I'd bet that when people looked at you they saw a nice bum with tennis player arms and didn't look further, we still are our own worst critic!!

Hugs, Bria

Hell on Heels
06-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Hell-o Isha,
You've always been cool to me!
Taking on the world will be much easier in short sleeves!
Much Love,
Kristyn

AngelaYVR
06-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Good for you to accept the right to bare arms! I think it is a very common concern among a lot of us but once you overcome the worry then it feels absolutely natural (and you open up more clothing choices!) For me, I'm pretty sure my height gets noticed before my arms anyway and there is nothing on the market to hide that!

CynthiaD
06-25-2015, 01:56 PM
I have big arms too, but so do a lot of women, so I've never worried about it.

Alice Torn
06-25-2015, 02:09 PM
You look presentable as a fit lady in casual dress. I am afraid with my size, i will be looked on as a basketball forward, or a foot ball tight end, no matter how my arms look.

AllieSF
06-25-2015, 02:19 PM
You look fine in the pictures. That fear is on the inside and once you lose it you will feel much better. I never wore sleeveless tops or dresses for that same reason and also because of age I get those sagging arm and chest wrinkles. It took a while but I am over that and even use some tank top style dresses and tops. I let my personality and outfits overcome what others might see as a negative, plus I don't care that much anymore. If I feel good I have more fun, so out of sight out of mind in a way. I just don't look for those details of me that I do not really like and as a result I have a lot of fun.

Donnagirl
06-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Isha,

I'm a little surprised by your reticence... With your confidence I'd have thought you would have been out and about in a bikini, crop top or 'boob tube' by now!!!

But seriously what's the concern??? And where did you get that bum??? (Professional jealousy / curiosity only - no other reason to ask!!!) :o:eek:

Roli F
06-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Isha you look fine, Very smart.

I was out most of Yesterday in Manchester in a sleeveless Knee length dress in the sun

had a good day shopping new heels and a Bra for £4 bargain

and went to the Manchester Concord TG meeting afterwards

BeckyZ
06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
You underestimate yourself. Especially with that beautiful smile.

Samantha2015
06-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Isha you look fine. I'm like you though, I gotta have my sleeves !!!
I really like the elbow length style.

S. Lisa Smith
06-25-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm like Samantha (except not as pretty), I like to hide my arms. That being said, you look like an ordinary woman to me.

Pat
06-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I was SO happy at the title of your post because I was psyched to read that there's a last dressing hurdle. "Surely I have to be getting close," I thought...

Now before anyone chimes in with body art and farmer's tan comments . . . check got it. However, I have seen plenty of gals sporting some fairly manly body art which makes mine look downright feminine and women can have farmer's as well . . .

Well, a skull with a knife through it that's emblazoned "Death From Above" will probably take some serious sang froid to pull off, but these days I imagine it can be done. ;)

Bobby Burns says:
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!"

You look perfectly fine to me. Congratulations. Now it's time to put on the camisole top...

Victoria Demeanor
06-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi Isha,
You look fantastic, and I absolutely love that top. The tat is fine and these days quite mild by most standards. Really looks non gender to me. Well I know your up there in Canada, but here in the states we have a constitutional right to bare arms..... I'm pretty sure this is what they mean by that.:idontknow:
You really do look great and in my opinion very feminine.

Maxi
06-25-2015, 07:47 PM
There is no way I could hide the manly arms or shoulders. I just have fun with it. When I talk there is no hiding the fact I'm male. I have gotten more compliments, and had more people stop and talk to me regardless.
But hey, you look great.

justmetoo
06-25-2015, 08:23 PM
I agree with those who said your arms (the tattoo, the muscles, and even the farmer's tan) are not so unheard of (unseen of?) on women. Sure, you're not skinny model thin, but very few women are. I also agree with your attitude that you might as well be comfortable. Congratulations on another hurdle hurdled!

(Heidi - I chuckled)

Sometimes Steffi
06-25-2015, 08:56 PM
I've used sheer tops like these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281582078454?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=580593609729&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) under my dresses. They're too sheer for me to where without a dress covering it, but they add just enough cover to make me comfortable.

I've recently started getting more dresses, and I often bare my arms (like you), with the main issue being my arm hair which I'm afraid to shave due to expected negative comments from my wife.

Genny B
06-25-2015, 09:09 PM
I don't see any issues with the pictures Isha! We can be our worst enemy. The tan is what I would worry about more. I like to ride motorcycles and always with gloves so my arms are very tanned from my tank tops allowing sun directly to most my arms but my hands are so white. I was taught a wide wrist band covering the area of the change really hides the issue! Maybe something similar can be done for the arms?

Genny B

flatlander_48
06-25-2015, 09:28 PM
I used a little foundation to blend from the white upper arm to the tan lower arm.

A number of the cosmetic manufacturers do Body Makeup products. It appears to be something like a creme foundation and you rub it on like skin lotion.

DeeAnn

TrishaTX
06-25-2015, 09:34 PM
You look great...I only wish I looked that good.

LeslieSD
06-25-2015, 11:39 PM
That's cool. Enjoy the feeling of liberation.

Marcelle
06-27-2015, 05:47 AM
HI all,

Thanks much for your kind comments. I wore another sleeveless top again this week while out (taking some leave time). I have planned my working debut outfit which will include a sleeveless dress.

. . . Hey, I know it gets hot in Canada at least 3 or 4 days a year, so you can't wear parkas all the time!:D

Hi Heidi,

It's not that bad it is at least one or two weeks a year :heehee:

Guy arms ...huh. You should come walk round my workplace. We have more than a few GG climbers, their arms could put yours to shame!

I hear you. A few weeks back a woman came to the gym and when she stripped off her running jacket, well let's just say there were a few guys who felt a bit small around her. :)

. . . And where did you get that bum??? (Professional jealousy / curiosity only - no other reason to ask!!!) :o:eek:

Hi Donna,

LOL . . . funny thing, it comes from my father's side of the family as all the men on his side tend to have "junk in the trunk". I remember when I was first in the military an out with some mates (we were bar hopping), I was wearing jeans and one guy walking behind me said . . . "Marcel, you got an a$$ like a chick" . . . I was a bit put off by the comment but who what of thought it would be a blessing later on in life :battingeyelashes:. Now my mother's side of the family the men have no butt whatsoever . . . crack and back as my younger sister says :)

.... Well, a skull with a knife through it that's emblazoned "Death From Above" will probably take some serious sang froid to pull off, but these days I imagine it can be done. ;)

Hi Jennie,

Which is exactly what I would have had covering my forearm if I had not taken time to reflect during a drunken haze when I was 18 sitting in a tattoo parlor in Amsterdam . . . I even had the transfer on the arm . . . but decided not to go with it. I waited until much later in life to get a tattoo.

Hugs all,

Isha

Claire Cook
06-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi Isha,

So now you have to visit Florida and really show off those sexy arms! (Not to mention the tush...) :battingeyelashes: Hey, get ready for summer.

Hugs,

Claire

vallerie lacy
06-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Love the look.

BethanyCross
06-27-2015, 01:45 PM
I think you look more like a somewhat masculine woman than a guy. I would be careful with that sleeveless sundress, however. I love sundresses too, but with my guy shoulders, it just does not work!