PDA

View Full Version : I been looking for a Therapist...

Natasha V
07-01-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm having a difficult time feeling comfortable being questioned by a male therapist, why am I being so picky? Should I be looking for therapist or counselor or what?

nvlady
07-01-2015, 06:04 PM
You won't get much good out of talking to a therapist that you aren't comfortable talking to.
If you aren't comfortable talking to a male therapist, then you MUST find a female one.

Jorja
07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Talking to a therapist can be like talking to your mother or father about sex. If you are not comfortable talking to them find someone you can talk with. Just remember, they are not there to judge but to help you through the difficult parts.

Lori Kurtz
07-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Good response from Jorja ... and here's my add-on. A well-trained counselor is not likely to be shocked by anything you reveal. People need help with all kinds of troublesome problems, so counselors have already heard just about everything--probably way beyond anything you would have to say.

Jennifer0874
07-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Totally agree that you need to be comfortable with your therapist or you will get nothing out of it. My therapist is female and I don't think I would be comfortable with a male therapist.

Tristessa
07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Research strongly supports what everyone is saying here - therapy is next to useless if you don't have a strong relationship with your therapist. Shop around until you find someone you like. Some therapists will even offer a free initial consultation so you can get a feel for how you would work together - doesn't hurt to ask.

Natasha V
07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Thank you all... I am finding a bit of difficulty finding someone near me.

tifftg
07-02-2015, 02:08 PM
You may want to check the Psychology Today website. They show therapists and their specialties. Finding someone who deals with gender issues is one of the categories. I remember when I first met with my therapist I went as Jane Doe for the first couple sessions. She specialized in TG issues and I was in drab. It took a while but I am so glad I invested the time and money. Good luck.

pamela7
07-02-2015, 02:39 PM
skype or other distance media now allows you to have a therapist anywhere in the world, by voice or by video or by text. I'd recommend using something avoiding face-to-face contact initially, as there's no reason why the therapist cannot help you at distance.

Natasha V
07-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Thank you Pamela.

Sarasometimes
07-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I could never talk about this to a male therapist but fortunately most therapists are female. You should be able to make such a request. Good Luck the effort to find a good match is worth the time and $$$.

Stephj
07-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I am also thinking of going to a therapist looking for a female as I have always been more comfortable talking to women

Sarah Doepner
07-06-2015, 11:21 AM
our local Pride Center has a listing of professional counselors with experince in the world of gender. You may want to see if there is a group near you that has gone through that process. It would make your sorting a much smaller task.

Natasha V
07-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the replys.