PDA

View Full Version : Outted or not?

charlenemichaels
07-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Outted or not? (this happen to me back in the 90s)

One time between jobs, my former company had provided a placement agency that mentored former workers in their careers.

Having some downtime, I took full advantage of that service.

My first meeting at the agency was with an old high school alum so i felt assured the company was good. He interviewed me and set up a session with a retired fellow named John, one of their more experienced mentors.

John was a good fit, strong and to the point. My resume was the focus of this meeting and he read my paper completely.

He sent me off to do some job placement reseacrch prosepctive companies while he digested my career goals.

He called me back and reviewed, one on one, what his impression of my paper and comments for improving it for the job search.

He expected me to take notes and absorb like a student since his musings were mine to keep.

He covered the typical stuff about grammar, word usage and appeal of the document.

My paper had been professionally done a couple years before so i never needed to change its format.

Then he slowed down and said what his first reaction to my resume was from a HR manager view.

He said:"<My real name> is a pretty girl." I was stunned and he repeated that phrase.

Waves of nervousness swept over me as i looked up at him.

I was silent. OMG what just happened. Did my H.S. bud out me to him? My mind raced as my top lip was full of perspiration.

"An employer will take note that yoor resume sounds and reads attractively." "This will surley result in an interview."

Oh i get what he meant now. "Even though i'm a guy my resume will garner the attention and open a door for me?"

"Yes" he replied.

WOW was i relieved. Quite scary looking back.

I had enough of the mentoring and got a new job within a few weeks.

It was nice being called 'a pretty girl' even when he meant it in another context. :heehee:

Hugs,
~Char

CarlaWestin
07-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Interesting strategy. Did you employ it? I've learned over the years to keep my resume to one page. Keep it legible so the interviewer can read it without squinting. And always include integrity items such as acquired licenses and security clearances. But, I'm securely employed for my final approach to retirement so none of that matters anymore. I would love to interview for a job as Carla just for the fun of it. "Hmm? You have quite an impressive resume, Miss <um> Carla?" Carla leans to one side, sexey stilleto heeled legs crossed, displaying ample bosom. "Yes. I think I'm a good fit here."

Judith96a
07-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Slightly off-topic but...
Carla, back when I was young and stupid I very nearly DID appear for a job interview en-femme! Chickened out / saw sense at 11th hour and very neatly missed the interview!

Barbara Black
07-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Not really off topic, but I'm glad you saw the light just before the train hit you. LOL. But is there still a question whether it might have turned out okay anyway? I would always wonder myself....

Teresa
07-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Char,
Not an outing story but one about applying for a job after thirty years of being self employed .
When asked for a CV and references I replied sorry I don't have any but I can't have done a bad job as I didn't get the sack ! Needless to say I never received a reply !

Suzie Petersen
07-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Good answer Teresa :)