PDA

View Full Version : To Pierce or Not To Pierce?

Jenna1561
02-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I know, I know, this has been gone over a gajillion times before, but one more time isn't going to hurt and it will surely help me.

I am still in the closet - no one really knows about Jenna, though I imagine some suspect something, particularly and hopefully my wife - but that's another thread.

I really, really want to get my ears pierced (neither are atm), but don't want to draw a lot of attention to my male self while at work. How long would I have to keep the studs in the ears before I could remove them for a 10-hour workday?

I have read somewhere that there are clear invisible studs that can't readily be seen. But I think these would actually draw more attention than simple silver studs.

What do you think? And I promise not to raise this topic again.

Love,
Jenna

KimberlyS
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Jenna, I got my ears pierce about 6 months ago. Other than family members , I have not had anything negative said. IMHO, I got the same attention any GG would have gotten if she got her ears pierced.

Just be ready for the Why question. I told most people "because I wanted to" and end of discussion. Another question from many was "BOTH EARS"? reponse: Why just one. or I need to be balanced.

Do not make a big deal out of it and they will not. In fact many did not even notice until someone else said something.

KimberlyS -CD
a guy in a dress

Julie York
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I've been through all this so I know what you mean. I did one first and got very little reaction other than from close family and closer friends who are usually rather surprised at the eccentricity but not upset. They just think they have the right to be rude as they know you. No-one else cares.

After a ,month I had the other done but kept the 'old' ear open with a small piece of fishing wire the same diameter as a stud wire. It just looks like a black mark on your ear but it IS necessary until you get home or it will close and it is a sod to get the stud back in.

It does require a bit of bravado but mainly for yourself rather than as a front to other people.

When people asked me why, I (honestly ) said..."It was cheaper than buying a Harley....and less permanent than a tattoo." And being around late 40s they all seemed to get that notion. Looking them in the eye with a "yeah what!" expression maybe helped.

good luck.

TGMarla
02-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I swear, one of these days I'm going to just get a T-shirt that says, "Julie York is right."

Keely
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I would love to get mine done but I don't think I have the guts just yet.

Keely

brandi1
02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I have had my ears pierced for 2 years now and have a lot more maching jewlrey and i love long earrings and you cant get them in clipons

jessbcuzz
02-08-2006, 07:35 AM
The clear plastic things are all right. I had to use them when I was in the army. I've had my ears (both of them) done since 93. When I'm dressing, I wear small hoops that I got from Spencer's. If you wear hoops like that, after time, no one will notice.

GypsyKaren
02-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi Jenna

I had to keep mine in for 6 weeks before I could take them out. I know how you feel, I had been wanting to get mine done for years, and I can tell you it's great!

GypsyKaren

alisoncdnj
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Jenna,

Go for it. I had my ears done right before the new year.:angel: Several people at work commented. One even wanted to know if I now sit down too pee. If only they knew. My children wanted to know where my pocketbook and pumps were. They don't know yet about my CDing.

They do make a clear sleeve that the earring goes through. I cannot wear earrings at work (not permitted):mad: so I just take them out in the morning and return them in the evening when I get home. The post slides through the sleeve real easy.

Everybody wanted to know why I did it. I just told them because I can. If they really pressed me I just told them I was going through a mid-life crisis. Someday there will be no excuses;)

Next Laser hair removal and electrolysis. I say go for it...Good luck I know you'll love it.

geegee2
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
go for girl, Ive had mine dond since in my teens and no one has even noticed. But now some notice when I change from just ball posts to diamond(not real) and when they ask I just say cause I like it.,nough said on that love kisses hugs GeeGee2

Miriannah
02-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Getting your ears pierced in this day & age really isn't a big deal. I see plenty of guys with one, or both ears pierced, and think nothing different of them. Mine aren't pierced yet, but they will be soon, once my laziness (the only thing stopping me) subsides. ;)

Lindahexi
02-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Go for it Jenna, once they are done I know you will love them. Only my brother has ever commented on mine, I have a diamond and gold stud in each ear, they are about a 1/4" diameter. When asked about them I say I had them done because I like them, no bluffing, no lies. Had to keep them in for 8 weeks before removal, and had no problems whatsoever; now I just leave them in all the time.

trannie T
03-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Today it's no big deal to have both ears pierced. A plain gold or silver stud won't draw too much attention.

Clare
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
All the excuses I would have used have been mentioned. Getting your ears pierced these days is nothing special - lots do it. Agonising over having your ears pierced is one of those 'why did I wait so long' type decisions. Once you've had the piericings, most people won't notice or care, so you'll wonder why you worried so much.

As for me? I have two piercings in each ear and I have worn two sets (four) gold hoops in my ears at the same time - looks great! Thinking right now about a third set of ear piercings and a third set of hoops!

sky0629
03-17-2006, 10:56 PM
have both of mine done, and enjoy every minute of it. lot of good idea's here for a cover up. i say go for it pierce, pierce, pierce, pierce :D

EllenCD
03-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Go for it Jenna. Once you do you will wonder why you didn't do it a lot sooner. I have two piercings in each ear. One set of diamond posts are in all the time and tear drop or pear shape "dangles" to suit the occasion in the other. Don't let any negative comments bother you. There your ears and you have a Constitutional right to look pretty. :doll:

Janelle Young
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Jenna

I got my left ear pierced about four and a half years ago. This was at a work place that did not allow earrings on men. So I had to wear a bandage over the ear ring to hide it when I was at the plant. (major soda manufacture) When my parents saw it for the first time they said , so you got an ear ring, it was no big deal. I have had a pretty thick hoop and ball in that ear for the past 3 years and no one has said a thing about it. Just this past week I got the other one pierced. 'They' say you need to leave the first earring in for 6 weeks. I say you could take it out a lot sooner than that for a while and you would still be able to get it back in again.

My thoughts are this. Get one ear pierced first, then at some point (only you will know when) get the other one done.

debbinpink
03-18-2006, 12:45 AM
I had mt ears pierced before I went on a three week en fem vacation. When I got back, I took some of the plastic loops they hang on panties in the store and used a lighter to burn a small ball on one end. Then I smeared neosporin on them and put them in my ears, you bend the back down and they stay in very well. smear some neosporin over the little ball in front and Viola, they are invisible. I am a asphalt plant manager, a very macho type job. I have been back to work for a month now and no one has noticed my pierced ears and the guys I work with would not fail to jump me about it if they did. I take them out in the evening and smear them with neosporin and put them back in. I now find that I have to keep them in to cover the holes in my ears. The holes are more visible than the plastic tabs. Go for it, I love wearing earrings now, clip ons hurt I have a bunch that I will never wear again.
Debbie

TracyDeluxe
03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Jenna, I did it a long time ago, and had the same thoughts (living as a man at the time). The excuse I was going to use (no one ever did ask me about it) was that I had one done and found out that was the one that signified one was gay, so I had the other one done, to correct the mistake.

And that was 25 years ago, I doubt anyone would even notice today.

Jenn2716
03-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Both of my ears have been done now for about 18 months. I only had a few people ask me a couple of times "why" and I just said that I always wanted to, but that my Dad wouldn't let me when I was a teenager. Seriously, after 2 weeks, everybody will just get used to seeing you with sutds in.

At this point, I can alternate studs and hoops at work and nobody blinks an eye. And I am not one bit "femme" at the office.

Toni
03-18-2006, 02:29 AM
I must admit I was worried about what people would say when I had my ears pierced at 63yrs (9 months ago) but I only ever had one enquiry and that was from my grandson (Aged 5). I told him I just wanted to and he accepted it and has never mentioned it again.

Gail Stauffer
03-18-2006, 02:39 AM
i had mine done a year ago!! no one has said much to me either, to those who haven't had their's done it doesn't hurt, just go do it, it's so common these days , if someone asks, tell them it was a dare, or something you did just cause you wanted too!!

Sally24
03-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I've thought about it but decided not to. I shop for estate and antique clip/screw-ons and have found the modern fake hoop earings for when I want a really big dangle type earing. Besides, my mothers earings are all clip-ons and I know my sister is not going to want them!

Adele
03-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I got my left ear pierced twice about 14 years ago and it didn't provoke any reaction really. All I said was "because I wanted to".

I'd like to get my right pierced however my wife has expressed that she would rather I didn't. As she means everything to me and she has been so understanding about my dressing I know I should respect her wishes.

Having said that I might ask her again.....

hjt101
03-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I've thought about it but decided not to. I shop for estate and antique clip/screw-ons and have found the modern fake hoop earings for when I want a really big dangle type earing. Besides, my mothers earings are all clip-ons and I know my sister is not going to want them!

On the bright side, you can still wear clipons even if you had them pierced. But it doesn't work the other way around.

HaleyPink2000
03-26-2006, 03:33 PM
My question is after you get them done does it hurt like the clip on ones do> I hate the feeling the clips give you after a while of wearing them. It sucks. But if the post type ear rings don't hurt when using them wowow. I would know my next step, pierced ears.

Julie Avery
03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Haley, no, once a peirced ear heals up it really doesn't feel like anything at all. Certainly no discomfort. Unless you're wearing a big hoop earring and get it caught on something ;)

Jennaie
03-26-2006, 03:43 PM
"I don't know, I just felt like doing it", " I did both ears because the price was the same and figured I would have a choice later",

It is a least 6 weeks beore you can take them out and you need to wear earrings daily for at least a few hours for the next 6 months if you don't want the holes to close up on you.

Marci
03-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Hey Jenna,

Like Ms Clare said...nobody really cares...people are very, very SELF centered. Oh, they might give a glance or make a comment to someone standing nearby. Nevertheless, they are really so damn wrapped up in themselves that all your fears will be for naught.

Pierced ears are another way to femme, Girl!

Marci 0.02

Krystenw
03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I've hand mine pierced for years. They don't like ladies wearing earrings where I work. I forgot to take some out one day and my secretary made some silly remark about how nice they looked. I guess I was pretty lucky. I did mine just before I went on vacation and only wore the studs for 5 or 6 days before I was able to change them without any problem.
Krysten