PDA

View Full Version : Provincetown, MA

natalie_cheryl
07-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Well first off im a native New Englander and even though ive spent a TON of time down the cape, ive never really spent much time in Provincetown. i know its very LGBT friendly and all but im just not very familiar with that area. so i decided to talk to my wife about what i wanted to do for my up coming B-day :eek: well i had come up with a plan of the day (P.O.D) i told her that i would like to get up early (something we never do) and head to P-town for the day and go to the beach and just kind of cruise around a little bit if she was feeling up to it. as she will be about 6 months prego.

Heres the catch though i told her i wanted to go as Natalie. she seemed to actually be ok with it she smirked about it and i could tell she wanted to say something else. i guess she probably needs some time to process the idea. so for now that is the plan. I CANT WAIT!! Heres to hoping things dont change!

so who knows the area well are there any kind of quiet beaches where its not to busy with people and we could pick shells as we walk?

Sarah-RT
07-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm going to answer your question with another question Natalie, I've seen other threads on here about Provincetown being LGBT friendly, is there a reason for this? Is it just a sparsely populated area or is it more liberal than other areas of the states?

As for your planned trip, best of luck, enjoy yourself and have a wonderful birthday!

Sarah x

natalie_cheryl
07-07-2015, 09:52 AM
its a small community thatas far as i know has always had a bohemian twist on a typical new england town. very liberal for sure and just a neat cross section of people

rachael.davis
07-07-2015, 10:07 AM
It's been the gay riviera for years, and years very T friendly

Pat
07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Provincetown is an awesome place to go trans. Every year the girlfriend and I go there for a week in August and I have to pack two bags to get all my outfits in. ;) That said, there's not much beach there -- there's a little section near the middle of town but it rapidly runs into private property. For beach, you're better going to "The Dunes" area which is a state park.

When you're in Ptown itself, most of the coolness is on Commercial street and absolutely everything is TG friendly. If you're there in the evening check out the Governor Bradford bar/restaurant -- they often have tg-o-centric events. There are generally several shows running at the Crown & Anchor as well as the Post Office theater (upstairs over a reasonably OK restaurant.) there's another multiple auditorium theater whose name I can't remember and a local church which also runs shows at night. You don't have to be too worried about scouting out entertainment, there will people people going around town handing out cards for the different shows. Probably half of them have drag entertainers.

Ptowners talk about East end and West end of Commercial street. If you stand in front of the town hall the East End is on your left and the West End is on your right. The East End goes from shops to restaurants to art galleries and eventually residential area. The West End goes from shops & restaurants to hotels and eventually to residential areas. Though there's not a clear line of demarcation -- you'll stumble upon bars and restaurants almost everywhere.

If you need a touch-up there's the West End Salon that I can tell you first-hand loves TG clients. They have the usual services, mani/pedi, waxing, makeup, they can style your wig if you want -- really perks it up. They're very friendly and will work with you if you're having a special event or trying to achieve a particular look.

I think you'll have a great time. ;)

One last bit of advice: wear flats. You'll be walking everywhere and even if you have your heel-walking figured out, the pavement is not all that great.

Jenn A116
07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Just a bit about the logistics of visiting P-Town based on living just across the bay for ~65 years.
Don't underestimate the driving time to get there. In the summer it will be nearly 90 minutes from the time you cross the canal. Be very careful about your speed on the "outer cape" which is basically where the road goes from divided highway to two lanes. The towns out there are pretty vigilant about enforcing speed limits.
Crossing the bridge on the way to P-Town can involve a couple of mile backup in the summer, especially on a weekend. Coming back you can expect similar.
We regularly parked at the McMillian Wharf parking lot, which is very convenient to all the shops and restaurants along Commercial street.
As noted above, bring flats if you're going to walk around downtown. Lots of cobblestones and uneven pavement.

Have fun!

Jaylyn
07-07-2015, 03:11 PM
After reading about P town sounds like a good place to visit.

natalie_cheryl
07-07-2015, 03:32 PM
ive been there a couple of times so i have the lay of tha land so to speak (i know about the cobble stone streets lol) thank you jennie that was exactly the kind of info i was hoping for. have you been to a place called herring cove? ive been doing some beach research on trip advisor it looks like exatly what im looking for! queit secluded beach with decent facilities. it also seems to be at least half nude (as in the left side is as much or as little as you like and the right side is keep your bathing suit on over the bathing suit area, not that i would pass up a chance to be natalie on a beach over being naked not really my thing not that i have any issue with it.

Sometimes Steffi
07-07-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm a native Bostonian and have been to P-town many times (always in drab).

The first time I was there in 1973, it was a Portuguese fisherman town. I wasn't comfortable going to the bars in full male mode.

The next time I went back (late 1980s) it was very gay. M-M PDAs were very common.

The next time I went back (mid 1990s) it was still very gay, but leaning Lesbian. F-F PDAs were very common. I was jut glad that my that my teenage daughter didn't pick up on it because I wasn't ready to have to gay talk yet.

The two beaches around P-Town were pretty crowded, but there was a beach on the eastern shore of Wellfleet near the Marconi wireless tower that was deserted, and I think "clothing optional". However, there was a big un-climbable cliff to the beach at Marconi tower, so I don't know where the access point really was.

Have fun.

Wendy me
07-08-2015, 08:13 AM
i have a place in wellfleet and visit p-town getting ink and peirceings out for dinner and drinks by all means go dress and have fun ... hint those dark side streets are were its at i carry a little something that goes bang because i go by my slefe ... never a problme.... go have fun..........

Pat
07-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Fearful people often create dangerous situations for themselves. I've been on all the dark side streets the full length of Commercial and Bradford streets and on all the docks. I've encountered the occasional weird situation but never a dangerous one. Provincetown is completely dependent on tourism, so I'd say it's about as safe as any other resort. It's well patrolled by cops who are as friendly as the situation warrants, which means if you don't start trouble, there won't be trouble.

natalie_cheryl
07-08-2015, 02:44 PM
while i often carry in male mode its usually because i travel into some shady areas during work. ive spent a ton of time on cape cod and never thought i needed that with me. plus i really am planning to just go to the beach and have lunch some where and walk around a bit.

heatherdress
07-09-2015, 11:21 PM
If you want to enjoy P-town as Natalie, please spend a night there. Daytime P-town beaches are great but no different than other Cape beaches - usually a lot of people. But the nights are buzzing with music, clubs, restaurants, pubs - all great places to be at.

natalie_cheryl
07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I would LOVE to hang out there at night maybe another time but I don't think I'll be able to make that happen :(

Pat
07-10-2015, 10:59 AM
But it's your birthday... :battingeyelashes:

Rogina B
07-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Like Jennie...You will never have any problems in P Town unless you cause it..Friendly to all...And,like others have said,you need to enjoy the nightlife this time...Only live once..

Marcelle
07-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Hi Natalie,

Happy upcoming birthday and enjoy your trip as Natalie.

Cheers

Isha

AnnieMac
07-11-2015, 05:34 AM
M-M PDAs ? whassat?

Pat
07-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Either Grindr running on a Blackberry or "Male-to-male public display of affection" ;)

Sometimes Steffi
07-11-2015, 09:26 PM
M-M PDAs ? whassat?

Male-to-Male Public Displays of Affection

Typically kissing, hand holding, hugging ... No biggie unless you have an observant and curious child.

Dad, those two men are kissing. Shhh.

mechamoose
07-11-2015, 09:46 PM
P-Town is the queerest place in Massachusetts. Period, full stop. Cambridge is probably b#2.

It has B&B's specifically expecting gay boarders, gift shops with the clientele in mind, drag shows most nights, wonderful restaurants, and the beaches in the area are amazing, even outside of the National Wilderness Area that is just back up the horn a bit.

Even in the off season, it is a great place to visit!

<3

- MM

Jocee
07-31-2015, 12:33 PM
I've gone out to Race Point on numerous occasions. I also stay at the Brass Key which has as fantastic pool (and there is bar there for cocktails). I've never had any issues. If your spending the night, I would totally recommend staying there. Enjoy!

Katie01
07-31-2015, 01:32 PM
I love CDing in private. I haven't invested in wigs and have only minimal makeup. Would it be awkward to be dressed but only lipstick for makeup? I've been to Provincetown and found it fun and welcoming.

Pat
07-31-2015, 02:29 PM
You'd be fine. Every year when I go to Ptown I see people in all states of presentation, from the full-on, eat-your-heart-out t-gurls to guys with just big earrings a little eye makeup. (Once it gets less than that I have less confidence that I'm seeing someone doing gender-fluid -- there are many gay guys who will wear makeup while otherwise presenting male.) During the day I'm usually presenting mixed myself.

Katie01
07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks Jennie! I was thinking a sundress with shaved legs and lipstick. Hope to go at the end of summer. First time out in daytime. Yikes!

natalie_cheryl
07-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Well maybe I'll bump into you Katie that's around when I was planning to go lol

Katie01
07-31-2015, 02:56 PM
If you think it's me tell me you think my dress is pretty and I'll be a friend for life! :)))

LaSirenaBella
08-01-2015, 06:29 PM
In short, it's one of the best places to be if you're trans. It takes a bit to get there, but you could not find a friendlier place except maybe Ogunquit, ME.

I go there every two or so years for Fantasia Fair, which happens every October. The town rolls out the red carpet for us. You'll be fine.

flatlander_48
08-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Ogunquit has a long history as an artist's colony. Perhaps that's why it has the feeling it does. Provincetown seems to have more of a business aspect about it...

DeeAnn

mechamoose
08-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Ogunquit up in Maine does have that kind of feel. Kind of generic, though... which is what I think you were implying (and for which you are correct)

Province-town is Fag central. Ogunquit is a nice tourist town.

Which place can you walk around hand-in-hand with your MOTSS friend?

Ogunquit is cool, P-Town built around stores/Inns/B&B's/restaurants aimed at LGBT folks (and as an xxBT, I can testify to this)

- MM

Tashee
08-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Many great times in P Town. haven't been back in 10 years! Why? Anyway I will return. I absolutely loved the T Dances the spontaneous party in mid day was soooooo enjoyable. A must go especially of your looking for a location that embraces you for who you are & an awesome place to meet other like minded people. I have met others there in the late 80's early 90's and we are still friends.
Now Ogunquit is cool but not many places in Maine besides Old Portland are friendly to out of state people especially out of state men in skirts who look better than the woman in town. OK that isn't an insult to people from Maine or ladies from Maine! (Dry Humor) Honestly most people from Maine loathe tourist' and people from Massachusetts! Maybe its the MA driving? Have fun In P Town! I'll make it next year for sure!

Chrissy1966
08-02-2015, 01:44 PM
I've been to P-Town several times but not since coming out CD to my wife. It was torture watching everyone being out and having so much fun, while I sat there with my drunk buddies pretending to be just one of the guys. Yawn. Maybe next summer, we'll go down the cape, just the two of us and get silly.

mechamoose
08-02-2015, 01:58 PM
It was torture watching everyone being out and having so much fun

Yah. hard going into queer space with a partner at your side. So much eye candy, so little that you can DO. All these pretty males all over the place, and I can't jump them. I'm with my (het-ish) girl.

grrr...

- MM