PDA

View Full Version : Question about Denier of tights

Mistress Frillee
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Which is it?

The higher the denier number, the thicker the tights?

so denier 20 would be sheer, denier 70 would be for winter, is this right?

Shelly Preston
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Mistress Frillee

Yes your are correct 70 denier is hard to see through

10 or 15 is sheer

I hope this helps in some way

Deanna2
02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I wear 40 or 70 denier tights/pantyhose under drab work trousers so they wont show. The lower denier, like 15, is very sheer and is quite obvious when you pull your trousers up to sit down. In the summer time I wear 40 or 70 denier trouser socks.

jenny_centaur
02-07-2006, 07:33 PM
15 denier are "sheer", 70 denier are "opaque". I've not come across 20 denier but I imagine they are slightly less than sheer.

I like sheer, but they usually have a 'panty' reinforcement at the top, which is no good with a short skirt.

Overall I prefer 40 denier (or semi opaque). They don't normally have the reinforcement. If you can get them I thoroughly recommend Marks & Spencer 40 denier 'Ultra Glossy", which are silky smooth, quite transparent, and ultra sexy. They are £5 a pair, but they last for ages if you're both careful and lucky.

I once found some 15 denier without the panty but they didn't last 5 mnutes. I made the most of them while they lasted though:

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/6269/mypinkskirt.jpg

Gothgrrl
02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
For reasonably priced, quality sheer-to-waists you can't beat Aristoc ultra-shine 10 denier, I think. Surprisingly hard to snag too, although I'm usually wearing them under fishnets or fencenets ;)

Ibuki_Warpetal
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
To be precise, denier thickness is a measurement of the individual threads and relates to pretty much any kind of clothing, but is more prominently used in lycra and spandex based clothing and hosiery in general.

One thing to note is that while den may increase from say 15 to 70, lycra content decreases as cottons and similar less tensile (more rigid) threads increase.
As den goes up, stretching goes down. Higher dens are less forgiving but much sturdier.

I did some research recently and it seems one can find anything up to 140 denier which is more specialized for physical therapy and certain medical uses.

Emma Chase
02-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I have to agree with Gothgrrl

You can not beat Aristoc hose. I have a selection from 7 denier right up to 90 denier from them, all a great feel and look.

Not sure if 90 is still around , I bought them in the UK before I moved. Knows 70 nis still a huge hit and less expesive than Walfords!

Emma :)