PDA

View Full Version : Bras with Bling

Wenda
02-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I have to share an interesting :D experience. Tonight I was at a business improvement district meeting. A visiting speaker was repeating himself when the business owner to my left, who owns a VERY nice specialty lingerie shop, whispered to the business on my right, We should invite Wenda to Bras With Bling.
I confirmed that I had heard correctly, then asked the lingerie lady if I should wear my breastforms. She chuckled and said absolutely.
I asked her later what constituted a Bra With Bling. She said she would let me know. Apparently it is a fund raiser.
It just sounds too opportune to pass up. Suggestions.... Similar experiences.....:angel: :bs: :bs:

Billijo49504
02-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Heck, go for it!!! And then report back so we know what it's about. BJ

KatieZ
02-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Noun: bling

Ostentatious jewelry; more loosely applied to clothing and lifestyle, or a set of modern values that encompass playing hard, looking good and having the best of everything.

Synonyms

bling-bling

Wenda
02-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Complication: I was at a marketing meeting today, and a person from corporate affairs was listing the community things we will be sponsoring, and rather timidly announced a corporate table at Bras With Bling .... !!! What!!! Apparently it is a fundraiser for breast cancer. Bras are worn over clothing, maybe auctioned to raise money. I would do a lot of things to support breast cancer research, but, a career limiting move might be over the top. I need to check with the girls. Might be a great opportunity to be out, dressed. If the bras are auctioned, I might resurrect some ideas I had about fabricating stainless steel bras. HMMM...

Genifer Teal
02-09-2006, 12:51 AM
a career limiting move might be over the top

Quite literally, a bra might be over your top. :-) I just couldn't resist the pun.

Hugs, Genifer

Wenda
02-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Quite literally, a bra might be over your top. :-) I just couldn't resist the pun.

Hugs, Genifer
Thats good! I suspect that some people do wear their bras Over Their Tops, ie, outside their shirts. That has some potential as well...

Billie Jean
02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Women are not the only people who get breast cancer. many men get it also. You could represent them with the gesture of wearing a bra for the men who not only have suffered with breast cancer, but also have died from it. Many men have died from it due to the lack of education on the subject and do not regularly perfom self exams. Our medical community in the world today does not educate the public about this or even testicular cancer the way they should. By wearing a Bra With Bling you could help to educate the public in your area, and perform a great community service. I am an LPN and I feel that the public should be better informed. The most horrible death is long suffering from a disease the might have been avoided.

Billie Jean:thumbsup:

TGMarla
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd proceed carefully here. Dressing completely might make a mockery of the event to some. Not dressing and wearing a bra might come off the same way. It's hard to be sure, not knowing more of the atmosphere of the event. Others may well do the same, in which case you'd be fine. I'm just advising caution. Your career peers will be there, and afterwards, you'll be carrying the occasion with you at work for a while.

Jenny Beth
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
I agree with Marla, functions that raise money for breast cancer research are not the place to dress and even though women wear bras over their tops for you to do so would almost certainly offend some. These are highly charged and emotional events as many participants are dealing with cancer or have lost a loved one to it. Lately these events have just about all the women wearing pink, pink everything from T shirts to hats, slacks and skirts. If you wanted to show your support I doubt anyone would care if you bought and wore one of the T shirts they sell to raise money.

Wenda
02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I met with the lingerie store owner after work today. She and a very creative photo business have donated a $300 prize package. She offered to fit me for a bra for the event, but, like some of the respondants, I want to be sure of the atmosphere that organizers and attendants may expect. The owner suggested we do our own version of the event in our community in October, breast cancer month. My gf and I may go to check it out.

Wenda
02-26-2006, 03:19 PM
well, the creativity continues. My GF is trying to get Friday off, doing her own bra with bling. I hosted a group last weekend and somehow the topic came up. The ladies I was speaking with were very encouraging, and spoke highly of the event organizer, a survivor of cancer of not only the breasts, but subsequently the lymphatic system. This gets more and more complex.
I have my gf encouraging me to develop the ultimate bra with bling, but not too sure about breast forms, since many cancer survivors wear them. On the other hand, I have several GGs encouraging me to wear my metal bra and forms.
I am going to do two bras, one a fabric bra with various bling aspects that my GF and I shopped for last night. Also, I am re-working my shiny aluminum bra, in the form of an opening plant bud, with leaves unfolding about the breasts. Trying to represent strength and defense. Is that getting too literal.
Billie Jean also raises a good point. Men are not immune to breast cancer. Does anyone have reliable stas on how may men contract breast cancer, and how many die from it annually.

trannie T
02-26-2006, 07:29 PM
What an opportunity! To go out in public wearing a bra and to have all present not only see it but to admire it and comment on it. Can't wait to hear how it went. You go girl! ! ! !

Shelby
02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
It sounds like this began as an opportunity to just wear a bra and now has turned into a good cause for awareness and support for breast cancer. I think your idea of the flower petal bra and the aluminum bra are great ideas and I can't see how anyone could be offended. I mean your showing your support for research - you have a legite reason. Good luck and be sure to share some pics only after you've got a patent or some design protection on them if needed.

Billie Jean
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't know the exact figure of how many men die with breast cancer, but it is in the thousands each year. Researchers say the numbers may be higher than thought because by the time these men find out about their cancer it has moved all over the lymph system to other parts of the body. I would like to suggest that anybody who reads this thread to inform at least 10 male friends and encourage them to also. The self exam is done the same way women do it, pick a day of the month and examine yourself on the same day of each month. Thank you Wenda for doing this to help get the word out. Maybe the ribbon that represents breast cancer should be both pink and blue. Everyone please help with spreading the word to reduce spreading breast cancer in all humans. lol Billie Jean

Victoria-Marie
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I don't know the exact figure of how many men die with breast cancer, but it is in the thousands each year.

From http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/statistics.asp#1 :

It is estimated that 40,410 women and 460 men will die
from breast cancer in the United States this year.

Wenda
02-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I have been working on the metal bra. It is going to be quite blingy. Had an email from another femme friend today, a kindred spirit, who said she would have made one for me. She is very flashy, wears bright colours. I think I am safer in a bling of my own construction. If this all works out, and I dont loose my job, and if I get pics, I will share.

Wenda
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
YYYipppeee!!! What a night! :D I finished my aluminum bra on Thursday night, silver twist chain straps and back, front closure. I glued glitter trim around it and 'gems' on the 'leaves' that hold up the breasts. As soon as I took off my coat, it was a hot topic. Got my picture taken with, probably 20 different ladies, and one guy. His was a black DD covered with pins. He won best male bra, several ladies said I had been robbed. I said it was the French judge. (figure skating, Salt Lake) I could have cared less. In the Parade, the radio personality said I seemed just a bit too comfortable as Princess Zena.
The lingerie store owner had a work of art, dozens of rose buds sewn on. I complimented her on the bra and her awesome breasts. I asked her how I could have know her all this time and not really have known what a magnificent set she had. She laughed, said she finds it less hassle to keep them under cover.
My gf couldn't get off work, so waited up till 11:30. I took the metal bra off and my 38C that I wore under my black turtleneck and the metal bra, and we played cards. I wore my forms all night, and we had a great snuggle this morning. She likes me to press my breasts against her back when we snuggle.
I am supposed to get lots of pics. Oh, no fear on the corporate side. Three ladies from Corporate Affairs were there, got me in between two with interesting bras for the internal corporate newsletter.
All that, and we raised $25,000 for breast cancer programs in the province. About as good as it gets!:D :D :D

Wenda
03-07-2006, 12:32 AM
The lingerie shop owner sent me some pics. The pink bra is made up of pink breast cancer ribbons. The pics show a handful of the ladies I met admiring my little bit of handiwork. The fellow in the black bra with pins all over it is the guy that beat me out for best mens bra. In the last pic, you see that I had lost one of the aluminum leaves from the bra. I had a number of questions, could probably have taken orders. Maybe a chance for a new sub-career.
As I posted earlier, it was a great evening, where we raised $25k for breast cancer awareness.
I was wearing my #5 teardrops from SiliconeWorks, with a 38C slightly padded bra under the black turtleneck (which is a ladys turtleneck). I kept them on for the card game with my gf (without armour or bra), and for the night.
It was just a sweet and special night and weekend all round.