PDA

View Full Version : 1951 is a long time ago.....

Ineke Vashon
07-13-2015, 07:42 AM
I’m 81 and a late CD bloomer. I walk into a Macy’s or Nordstrom and I wonder what these sweet young SA’s see coming at them. I know they are trained to make a sale. But: ”Is that old geezer really going to put on a dress?” I’ve not had the guts yet. I’ve been told that 81 is really not that old. Isn’t it? Well, the first time I sneakily put on a dress was during a time when steam locomotives still crossed the land, airliners had propellers and wide seats in coach, Harry Truman was president, McArthur was fired, homosexuals could be jailed, cross dressing was a disease, disk jockey Alan Freed coined the term rock ‘n’ roll, average cost of a new house $9,000. Gallon of gas 19 cents (nineteen cents!!!!) and the Korean war was on. And in that year I became legally an adult and put on my first dress.

It took until three years ago before I acknowledged my CD ‘hobby’ on this forum. A lot of water over the dam. And, after all this, all the above is still not a valid excuse. Consider it an aging rant. No, a lament. The good news is, today I bought another skort. Tan. And I don’t feel like 81, in spite of a turkey wobble large enough that real turkeys follow me around everywhere clamoring to know where I got that fabulous make-over.

End of lament. :violin:

Ineke
ps: reposted from the Lounge, per request

Barbara Black
07-13-2015, 07:56 AM
LOL. Love your humor, and your outlook. I'm a late bloomer also, but not born until after your first dress. Hang (or wobble) in there!!

Ronah
07-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Hang on in there and carry on and enjoy. Old geezers do wear dresses and sometimes beat the youngsters as you may note in a recent thread of mine. Age to me is just a meaningless number on a birth certificate and feel that there must be a mistake as I do not feel "old", perhaps just a little bit slower but life is enjoyable. May we both have many more years of dressing.

Certainly not a lament but a cheer

Katey888
07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Quite a sweet lament really, Ineke... :hugs:

Of course most of us would love to be a bit (or a lot) younger - but there's nothing really that beats experience, is there...? :)

At least we don't run the risk of being jailed anymore... mostly... unless you party with Adriana... ;)

Katey x

UNDERDRESSER
07-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Lovely post Ineke.

I am starting to get on a bit in years as well, but you've got a few years on me. I do look much younger than my age though, and I feel I have starting to seem even younger lately since I started going out in public, and to work, in skirts.

The age clues are starting to pile up, no turkey wattle yet, ( hastily runs to check himself in mirror ) but no-one is going to mistake me for a cute young girl, ( or even female as I make no adjustments to my upper half ) but I get complimented on my legs, and I feel I get more respect as a man because I have the cojones to go out in public in a skirt. ( not everyone no, but most I think ) Certainly no-one yet has given me any grief yet.

Keep it up Ineke, maybe try a skirt some time?

Angie G
07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Hay Ineke I'm A bit behind you I'm 67 and back in my day we could get candy for a penny. when I started driving gas was 35 cents candy bars coust 5 cents.My 89 firebrd cost me $1300.:hugs:
Angie

Shiny
07-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I grew up in a large metro area suburb and a neighbor down the street, a guy who lived alone was an engineer who was building his own new car from the ground up. Quite a friendly and actually, brilliant guy. But, one day when I was only 4 or 5 years old I'd take down metal hangars for him to use as welding rods and panel fills. His garage door was open one day, his car-in-progress was there but he wasn't. I knocked on the door and moments later the door opened. I saw a large figure there, fully made up, blonde wig, dangle earrings, lots of perfume, busty, curvy, a black rayon house dress with little rosebuds and leaves pattern, ankle strap heels and vintage seamed stockings, oh, and a blonde mink wrap! Blew my mind!

But those were the days to be sure, a June Cleaver original. I've never forgot that vision and it had nothing to do with my picking up a similar condition. But I always fantasize about all that great clothing the guy must have been able to amass because those were the vintage days----it was 1962!

Alice Torn
07-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this history lesson, Ineke! I would have loved to be around when steam locomotives still moved the freight, and people!! I was born in 1954, and diesel was normal. I first met another crossdreser,in 1989, while working on my car, a neighbor who rented a room, i used to rent, happened to aproach, and we said hi, and talked about the weather. I rented that same room, and later, i would be all dolled up, too.

Teresa
07-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Ineke,
All I can say is how time flies, thanks for sharing your memories !
I'm a little confused when you mention 1951 so I assume that's when you started Cding otherwise it makes you the same age as me , a young 64 or an old 21 !!!

Ineke Vashon
07-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Teresa, can't have you confused:eek:. I was born in 1933, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :g2:.

Ineke,
ps: couldn't find a dinosaur, so this happy giraffe will have to do.

Beverley Sims
07-15-2015, 07:49 AM
1951, just seems a long time ago to some.

The schoolgirls that eye us off in the mall these days were born after 2000.

Any one from the 1900s is ancient.

Time and age are relative. :)

Krisi
07-15-2015, 09:05 AM
I remember the steam locomotives and the airplanes with propellers. My father used to take my brothers and me to the train station to watch the trains come in just to give my mother an hour or two of peace and quiet.

When he wasn't home, my mother would give us each a nickel to walk to the five and ten store to sit at the counter and get a soda fountain drink. I didn't start dressing until my early teens though.

lily1974
07-15-2015, 09:32 AM
This is funny. I was actually thinking the other day when I joined "am I getting to old to dress anymore"? Specially after seeing Katey or the local barista. Time, sun and metal working has not been kind to my body. I dont have the turkey waddle yet but wrinkles seem to spawn out of no where. (Anyone know a good wrinkle cream?) Anyways good writeup. I miss penny candies. :(

Patrica Gil
07-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Being a lady is enjoyable, your not getting intoxicated, or out of control, so whats the problem? The best thing about the 50's, pantygirdles with a nice pair of thigh high nylons. Oh so feminine!

docrobbysherry
07-15-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm in my 70's, Ineke. And, remember some of the things from back in the day, too.

However, I grew up with no gender issues and Sherry is only 17. So, she dresses accordingly!:battingeyelashes:

Leslie Langford
07-15-2015, 01:08 PM
I love your post and outlook on life, Ineke. Very few signs of "geezerhood" there...and I'm thinking that with your attitude, you and Betty White could be BFF's ;) :heehee:

Your self-deprecating humor about the turkey wattle was priceless, and might I add that a further advantage to having one (aside from attracting all those turkey "groupies" :eek: :doh:) is that it works wonderfully well in hiding that pesky Adam's apple...:D

Ineke Vashon
07-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Leslie - Thanks for your compliment. I immediately ran for the mirror and, by golly, you are right. It does hide the Adam's apple:D.

Sherry - So glad you mentioned your age. I'd hate to be arrested for buying you a drink :hwac:. Cute pic,

Ineke

Krisi
07-16-2015, 08:27 AM
You are never too old to dress like a woman but you will get too old to dress like a "hot chick" or teenager (unless you wear a rubber suit like Sherry above).

Just like a GG, you will need to alter your wardrobe to suit your body. Generally, that means longer skirts and higher necklines.

Tina B.
07-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Girl you have a few years on me, but not that many, I remember Truman was still president when I started dressing too, but I didn't wait to become an adult, I was 6 or 7 at the time. But even at that young age, I learned about the closet real fast. The 50's was not a time to come out at any age.
But it's good to know if I last another 10 years I'll still be able to dress even if I do wobble, I got a pair of five inch heels for the first time this year, and I do wobble q bit already.
Old habits keep me in the closet, but still dressing after 66 years of dressing, and no plans to slow down now!