PDA

View Full Version : Dressing to fit in or stand out?

JenniferYager
07-14-2015, 04:14 AM
This last weekend I went out with one of my friends here to a nearby restaurant. She wore a somewhat short skirt and (very) red hair, while I wore a black and white print dress, wedges and a wig that matched my natural hair color. We chatted about how so very different we are in terms of clothing choices. For her, she likes standing out and getting attention, while I always try to blend in. I joked that there could be more people like me, but if they are really good, you would never know!

Do you dress up to blend in or to stand out?

SandraB
07-14-2015, 04:23 AM
Most definitely dress with intention to blend as best I can. Were I much younger and with a figure that could carry it off however, I might tend more toward stand out!

Donnagirl
07-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Jennifer,

It depends on the situation...

Out shopping with the wife on a Saturday morning - blend
Out at a huge LBGTI party - stand out and be noticed
Driving interstate - blend
Hosting a BBQ at my place - blend, then get too drunk and change... Oops!!!:doh::eek:

Claire Cook
07-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Donna, You've said it for me ... except that being a hostess is still on the bucket list... :daydreaming:

Angela Marie
07-14-2015, 05:34 AM
I tend to favor leggings, tights, or whatever shows off my legs. At 61 that might be asking too much lol. I have recently begun purchasing clothes that have a more professional look.

Kate Simmons
07-14-2015, 05:43 AM
I basically dress the way I want. If it blends in, all fine and good. If not, oh well. I dress for myself not anyone else.:)

Marcelle
07-14-2015, 05:48 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I prefer to blend in an wear what would be appropriate for the occasion. Now that would not stop me from wearing a bright colored dress to work (which may attract attention) on occasion but generally it is to blend.

Cheers

Isha

Krisi
07-14-2015, 06:00 AM
I dress appropriately for my age and the time of day and place. I am trying to look like a typical female doing whatever it is I am doing at the time. I dress to blend in, not to stand out. If I were a young hot chick instead of an old crossdresser, I might dress to stand out.

CarlaWestin
07-14-2015, 06:09 AM
As primarily a fantasy dresser, I like my outfits to lean a little to the outrageous. Occasionally, I'll make a real conscious effort to tone it down and truly emulate a female image but, flashy and buxom is just more fun!

alwayshave
07-14-2015, 06:14 AM
I tend to wear more formal dresses though subdued. So while my dress is not outrageous, it may attract attention because it is too formal for say, a bar. But, I like hyper feminine dresses.

Tabitha_Lynn
07-14-2015, 07:26 AM
As was stated in several of the previous posts, I tend to dress more to blend. Like those above, too, if I had the body and were a few years younger it would swing more the other direction.

NicoleScott
07-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Neither. I don't dress with a purpose to stand out or blend in. I dress to please the guy looking into the mirror. That's the purpose. The unintended consequence is that I stand out.

Princess Chantal
07-14-2015, 07:44 AM
I just don't care what others are going to wear. If the appearance puts a smile on my face and am comfortable with it then I am ready to enjoy the outing. Sometimes how I dress inspires friends (tg or not) to dress with the same mindset.
Anyhoo most often than not, I will attract attention in either a blend-in look or a stand out look. Seeing tg and cd people out and about is not common enough to not draw attention. So may as well enjoy what I am wearing and what I am doing! Pleasing others is no concern of mine.

Karen RHT
07-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Considering the vast majority of women in this region wear some form of pant during their everyday activities outside their home, I would no doubt "stand out" as I prefer to wear skirts or dresses while enjoying the same activities. I also prefer to wear stockings, which would draw further attention as most women here prefer the bare legs look, especially this time of year. I'm not criticizing them or their choices, just noting that my differing choices would make me "stand out."

Karen

cheryl reeves
07-14-2015, 10:49 AM
when i dresss,its dresses,with or without pantyhose depending on the time of day. if i want to wear pants or shorts then its male mode with a little underdressing. my problem is i love dresses and skirts and have the legs to pull it offf.

jessica33
07-14-2015, 11:05 AM
My favor type of clothes is office outfit and this would make me standout these days with so many in casual wear .

Ceera
07-14-2015, 11:11 AM
I dress to look nice and to look appropriate to the venue. I'm generally looking to blend in, but not to be invisible. I do tend to wear skirts more often than a lot of younger GG's do these days, but that is because I feel a skirt is more flattering to my body shape. I want to be seen as 'one of the girls', yet be one of the ones that someone looks at and thinks, "Hummm. She looks nice."

Stephanie47
07-14-2015, 11:14 AM
My wardrobe definitely is to blend. As a senior I only wear dresses and the dresses are appropriate for any woman in her forties or later. None are considered granny dresses. Even with spinal collapse caused by natural aging I'm still six foot. I'm 195 +/- morning weight, although my figure is 42-38-40. The height and general male size is a definite giveaway. "Back in the day" I was 38-32-36, but, six foot two. My height was an attention getter with the girls, but, now....well five foot seven would be great. When I do go out for an evening stroll I like the peace of mind to just go unnoticed.

AbigailJordan
07-14-2015, 12:03 PM
A little of both.. As I have only recently come out publicly where I live, I'm trying not to be too OTT with outfits at the moment.. jumpsuits are a favourite.. or tailored trousers with a nice top etc.. but if I'm heading out to spend time with friends or have a night out, then it's most definitely stand out time and I didn't buy 27 bodycon dresses for nothing!!! :)

Heidi Stevens
07-14-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm in your camp, Jennifer. Just because I dress like the other females doesn't mean you can't look classy. I try to buy a level or two up in quality and make sure it's in the theme of where I'm going. Nicer jeans and tops, tailored skirts, etc. make you look nice but not out of place.

Debra Russell
07-14-2015, 12:19 PM
I just want to look like the rest of em..:D.......Debra

Adriana Moretti
07-14-2015, 12:30 PM
it depends on where I am going.....if its into the vanilla world its to blend.....and if its like a cd/tg event thats known to be a bit wild you may find me in a tutu and heeled combat boots cause it is just pain fun

Allisa
07-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Definitely blend in for the venue and keep it stylish for the attention in a nonchalant way, why ask for trouble? there are some out there that do not accept our lifestyle and may act upon it. That is to say I don't live in fear but use common sense in my outings.

reb.femme
07-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Definitely a blender by desire, if only it were a genuine possibility :sad:.

The many years of testosterone have shaped my features and stature to that of the average male, capable of being spotted from a mile with ease. Trying to lose weight (18lbs so far) to drop a dress size as a first goal, as I come off of my meds. Hopefully, I won't have my man pod as another clue to my real gender. :daydreaming:

Rebecca

MssHyde
07-14-2015, 04:41 PM
I dress both ways. I do like to be seen where Im excepted, but want to blend in where Im not excepted..

Abby Kae
07-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I think it all comes down to mood. Sometimes I want to be the center of attention and sometimes I want to be left alone to go about my day.

Tracii G
07-14-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm a blender.

BLUE ORCHID
07-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Hi Jenn, I most always dress to blend in,.:daydreaming:

Robin414
07-14-2015, 08:17 PM
I try to blend in, my first time out in over 20 yrs I kinda over did it for hanging out in a park and wow did I nearly crap my panties when some park maintenance guy in his city truck started stalking me 😨

Jamie Christopher
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM
I too tend to dress to blend in I guess; I do want to look feminine, but not stand out; just another one of the girls....

Jamie

kimdl93
07-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I have given this this some though...variants of this question do come up from time to time. I certainly don't dress to stand out, but I do try to choose clothes that are flattering.

AngelaYVR
07-14-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't actually go out of my way to stand out (really), it is just that the clothes I choose to wear do stand out. On my little adventures, I want to wear things that used to be common to see on women but aren't so much any more. I want to look stylish and elegant, sadly this contrasts quite strongly with a lot of the fashions you see women wearing these days.
I will add that this is not just a CD thing, I do the same thing in boy mode.

DanaR
07-15-2015, 12:13 AM
I like to blend in.

franlee
07-15-2015, 01:05 AM
I dress appropriately for my age and the time of day and place. I am trying to look like a typical female doing whatever it is I am doing at the time. I dress to blend in, not to stand out. If I were a young hot chick instead of an old crossdresser, I might dress to stand out.
I feel the very same. I also think of the few CDer's I have come across in my own life. They were at the best eccentric and more accurately ridiculous in appearance. They all seem to want to dress like a Hooker or some Starlet that was at least 80plus years old but dressed like they were 25. I want to go out and just enjoy being me, not make any statements or open myself up to question. I find it offensive when I see another CD putting a bad light on crossdressers. But that is why we all have the right to personal expression, agree or not.

grace7777
07-15-2015, 02:12 AM
I dress to blend in, but I also like to look nice.

prene
07-15-2015, 02:21 AM
I initially dressed to just look and feel feminine.
Now that I feel feminine I dress to blend in.
I love it when I blend in and feel great

Candice June Lee
07-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Mostly i like to blend in. Yet, on occasion go out and scream woman with my clothes.

Kandi Robbins
07-15-2015, 06:04 PM
I dress in the style I am most comfortable, usually like a business woman. My objective is to blend it (knowing I am not passing), but I do not wish to stand out. My experiences so far have been great, people generally react pleasantly to a warm smile. I will select an outfit that would be typical (although probably dressier) for the place I am going.

Brandi01
07-15-2015, 06:32 PM
I dress to blend as well.

Sandie70
07-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Definitely.... BLEND!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WfSZzi4_Y&feature=player_detailpage

Alice Torn
07-15-2015, 07:01 PM
I have only ben out about 12 or 15 times, in ten years. Always wore dresses or skirts. No matter what i wear, i cannot blend in when standing up, at six feet ten in 4" heels. I get asked about my height often, when in drab! Add womens clothes and a wig? All eyes on me!

Rachael Leigh
07-15-2015, 10:34 PM
For me blending is best, I really don't want the attention just to look as normal as possible. I've never been able to dress to the nines in public but it would be fun if I had some place to go.