PDA

View Full Version : Humor?

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 02:37 PM
I know I am new. And please don't mistake me, I think this site and this group of women are lifesavers, I can't imagine being more comfortable. The amount of support and genuine caring and good will is a staggering accomplishment.

That said - I'm very quick with humor since I find it lightens the day and makes life more bearable. Nothing like a great laugh poking fun at onesself. I suppose that just is or is not in someone's makeup. But, I'm not seeing a big amount of humor or poking fun at ourselves here. Are things really all that serious? If I couldn't chuckle at myself and what I get up to on a daily basis I'd be mad.

Tabitha_Lynn
07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
I suppose that just is or is not in someone's makeup.

There's a lot of humor in my makeup sometimes. Especially if I cant get it right. I need lots mor practice.

I couldnt resist. I love humor and can laugh at myself with the best of y'all

Li'l Miss
07-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm with you. I do stand-up on cruise ships and am trying real hard to restrain myself. But, like you, I am very grateful that we have this site and the wonderful people who administer it.

Alice Torn
07-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Good point. I think the pressures in life are almost too much to endure, these days, and that is one reason some of us do this thing. I wish i was more humorous. Sometimes i can be a real joker, or comedian, but it is rarely. I suffer depression for life, and a very toxic family of origin, i am forced to deal with, at age 61. never had a mate. Some of us have chemical make ups in our brains, which make it hard to be humorous, or hard to be serious. We are a mixture of heredity, and experiences, and what we eat and drink. I wish we could all be more balanced. men and women.

AngelaYVR
07-21-2015, 03:10 PM
The fun stuff is in the other forums. This one is for the most deadly serious discussions. How could you even think of bringing up such a lighthearted topic? You are inviting mod wrath of gargantuan scale!

reb.femme
07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi Belle Cri,

I like to look at things from the lighter side of life too and I think a review of many of my answers on here will reflect that. I try to approach a subject with a mature response but if the subject matter appears too heavy and provokes a lot of fire, I tend not to get involved.

And to sign off...If I need a really good argument, I can always upset my wife :heehee:.

Rebecca

Carole
07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
I recently saw my dentist, who also runs a dressing service as a sideline; she calls it ' Trans And Dental Medication'

You did want humour didn't you????

pamela7
07-21-2015, 03:24 PM
remember that the butte of our jokes tend to be our own asses here!

Jorja
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Belle, if you have read any of my posts, you will find humor mixed in with seriousness. We have to remember, this is a written forum. Sometimes humor doesn't come across in written answers. People feel rejected, made fun of, or just plain hurt. You need to feel out the thread and feel when to inject your humor. That makes it clear as mud, huh?

Krisi
07-21-2015, 03:34 PM
It's difficult to put humor into these discussions because someone out there is sure to take it the wrong way. Members are from all over the world and all over the place as far as their crossdressing. Now if you want to post a joke, that will usually work but again, someone may take offense.

I've heard some Bruce Jenner jokes but like I said ................................

Meghan4now
07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Belle,

I poke that hornets nest almost daily. I do try not to be mean in my humor, and if I sense that it is inappropriate, I'll refrain. Tell ya what, move that mouse pointer over to the left and click me. Ohhh that's nice. A little more to the left....... a little up. Mmmmmh

Now look up find latest posts, I probably add humor to 60% of my posts. Check the one where I commented on Jamie's new outfit. She wasn't in it and it reminded me of a scene from "Brother Where Art Thou". You'll find that kind of humor around here. Maybe not as an originating thread, but as little side comments keeping things from getting to heavy. Look for my "cure" for shoe shopping addiction.

There are plenty of others here with a sense of humor, like Violet Gray, and Jorja. Just got to look for them. And throw out your own. Just make sure to balance it with some kind and costructive comments as well.

suchacutie
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Humor is a complicated process. Text messages tend to minimize the nuances of words, and are forced to be understood in the context of the the reader, and not necessarily in the context of the writer. The chance of being misunderstood in non-humerus situations is very large. Humor expands that possibility for misinterpretation greatly. Hence many of us have learned to be very careful with our language, lest we inadvertently offend. Sadly, humor is often an unintended casualty of that restraint.

Kate Simmons
07-21-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't take myself that seriously Hon and have a lot of fun with it. :battingeyelashes::)

Ineke Vashon
07-21-2015, 04:07 PM
No matter what you say or write, someone will find it objectionable. If I didn't have my humor I wouldn't be alive.

Now, did you hear about the lady who went on vacation in Hawaii? She sent her psychiatrist this post card:

"Having a wonderful time. Why?

Ineke

Hell on Heels
07-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Hell-o Belle,
I get where your coming from, poking fun at ourselves (not one another)
can sometimes make a day go a little better.
There are a few threads now and then that fall along these lines.
How's about starting a new one?
You could title it "Belle's Bloopers"
Tell us a funny story, and I'm sure you'll find out how many comedians hang out here!
Much Love,
Kristyn

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Ok ok, lol, I won't flog it to death. Good to know, I was a bit concerned that we'd all be dourly sitting in a convent sewing circle glaring at each other for supposed mirth.

I think Angela's post is an absolute scream - "Gentlemen - there will be no fighting in the war room!" Gotta love Dr. Stangelove, to really, really date myself lol.

BLUE ORCHID
07-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Hi Belle, See line #2 in my signature.:devil:

I'm probably the most un PC person that you will ever meet.
I'm an equal opportunity offender, I pick on everyone ! :daydreaming:

CynthiaD
07-21-2015, 04:29 PM
I think there's plenty of humor here. However this forum is the only place where I would joke about crossdressing. I want others to understand that I don't do this to be funny or to be the butt of other people's jokes.

Kandi Robbins
07-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Belle,

As you read more and more threads, you will certainly find humor in many of them. I know I always try to take a good jab at either myself or a friend here when posting. Please bring on the laughs! We can all use them. Life is hard enough as it is, we all need a good laugh.

Kandi

Katey888
07-21-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm just counting back now and making sure we have our Seriousness Quota filled here... let's see - nope! All too facetious by far... Have to delete an amusing phrase somewhere... let's see...

You are inviting mod wrath of gargantuan scale!

:tongueout

Well that's funny.... ;) like we get upset often and dispense wrath... :angel:

Give it time - we can have an absolute ball sometimes, but it's a fine balance between having a chuckle at ourselves - which I also accept we have to do and can do, more at the CD end of things - and trying to help with and support some of the really heartfelt and heartbreaking stories we sometimes get from folk here, often more at the TG/TS end of things where things can be rarely humorous and normally very poignant... :thinking:

Oh - there I go getting all serious again... If you fancy a scary laugh, take a look over at crossdresserswives.com - that'll have you in stitches... or stitched up, more like.. :lol:

And finish with a joke...

Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Fish...

:D

Katey x

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Perfect. I heard it was watches.

Ok, how do you keep an existentialist busy?

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Humor aside (for a fleeting moment) - I run a couple of sites (fishing and very boyish stuff), moderate others, and so I really do understand that it is an unpaid labor of love that is an utter political pain in the ass. And I really do have all the sympathy in the world because the only worse job than a moderator is a home room teacher in 3rd grade.

I also appreciate the seriousness and the pain, and my humor is edgy but not mean. It is always meant to be incisive by self deprecation, illuminating, and helpful. Humor was the one thing that kept my black dogs at bay - anyone who has been there will understand the reference. Often I think a gentle, loving, and even somewhat edgy tease can pierce what I call 'gerbling' - when one's mind runs circles endlessly on the same wheel time after time after time to exhaustion with no resolution.

I dislike making 'fun' of people, unless it is myself first, because I find myself hilarious in my idiocies. So, to be as kind as possible about this, I honestly do not think that strict PC codes of conduct are necessarily helpful, but that is my own perspective. I'll close with my favorite phrase - be fabulous.

gailbridges
07-21-2015, 06:32 PM
The fun stuff is in the other forums. This one is for the most deadly serious discussions. How could you even think of bringing up such a lighthearted topic? You are inviting mod wrath of gargantuan scale!

Angela is right. The mods here try to keep things under control, and judging by chat rooms I've been in, things COULD get out of control. And I'm ok with that.

I think humor works better when it's sprinkled through other non-humor stuff. It has more impact.

And yes, humor is subjective and context-sensitive that must be worded well, otherwise misinterpretations happen.

it's all good.

Badwolf
07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
We don't mistake your intentions, but be aware that A LOT Of people here are in a lot of varying states of vulnerability in a lot of their posts. We tend to err on the side of caution on this because of the venue.

Some humor pokes through in very safe ways though.

Sandie70
07-21-2015, 08:15 PM
On my Facebook page the humor, among other things, can be funky, off color and very much in tune with current affairs. This can also make some people angry, nervous or stand-offish. And this is something you want to avoid on this site. We need to strike a fine balance between being fun and supportive without making someone run for the hills.

But we do engage in humor - you just have to look a little harder for it.

Some of us will bust a gut over someone passing wind. Others might make Stephen Hawking wince with a terrible esoteric comment.

And me?

I adhere to the definition of humor (comedy) given by the great Mel Brooks: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Ba da bing, Ba da boom!

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Lol Sandie, that is a great quote.

I'll be here all week, Ladies and Germs. Please don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses...

NicoleScott
07-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Always something to learn here. I never realized "what color are your panties?" was deadly serious discussion.

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Brutally so. Lives and fortunes hang in the balance.

Actually, I have a suggestion: would it be possible to have some sort of completely inappropriate section just to let off steam? I realize it may offend some members - but well, nobody here I think means any genuine harm, and if it really is upsetting, then just don't dial up that channel. Merely an idea, perhaps vetted and declined long before I ever showed up, but honestly - some of the best, most profoundly honest, funny, raunchy and just true humor I have ever seen has come out of the [politically correct acronym, uh wait, PCA, or was that ACP?] community - be a shame not to reflect it. We really are just a wonderful trip.

Robin414
07-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Howie Mandell once said 'comedy comes from a place of pain', now I know why I laugh when I look in the mirror 😅 Reminds me of the time I asked a local cosmetician for a good face cream, she walked away and came back with a bottle of stuff with 'Armorall' on the label and a picture of a car seat...had to have it, If that could make my face look like that car seat I'd be WAY closer to being passable 😃

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 09:22 PM
See? this is great. Car seat, lol.

TrishaTX
07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I agree.... I mock myself allot. Humor solves allot of issues for people. Imagine if my fellow softball players knew I wore a size 44 d bra and loves nylon panties! ha! welcome to the board hope to see more fun from everyone...

Belle Cri
07-21-2015, 10:14 PM
44d? Hmph

AngelaYVR
07-21-2015, 10:45 PM
I've levered a few covers off the sewers but nobody has walked into one yet. Am I using the wrong bait?

KittyD
07-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Hey Belle :)

There is humor here and some very funny and fun loving people... you just have to find us :D
Try Kathleen Dawson or Tina Z in the picture & video part of the forum :)

Kate

Teresa
07-22-2015, 02:32 AM
Belle,
If you dig through the archives you'll find some very funny stories. My accidental outing myself raised a few smiles !

I agree that we can get bogged down with it all but I've had more funny moments dressed or while shopping , CDing can be a lot of fun if you're allowed to be yourself !

Marcelle
07-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Hi Belle,

I think humor albeit quite subtle comes through in a lot of posts . . . sometimes that humour is taken as humour other times not so much. Don't be afraid of putting humour in your posts because if we can't laugh at life, life can be very boring. Now . . .

A penguin, a zebra and a giraffe walk into a bar . . . :)

Cheers

Isha

jaleecd
07-22-2015, 03:19 AM
I know that I got deleted for not quite reading bigender as one with both sexes as their interest vs. a wide bottomed person.:o

Rhonda Darling
07-22-2015, 04:46 AM
I find humor in even the most serious threads when pimple mispel some of their werds to great cosmic effect. :mooning: Also, the occasional poignantly funny use of a smilie in an :w00t: :rofl: odd, inappropriate way can brighten my day.

heatherdress
07-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Belle - I agree with you. Although there are many issues discussed here which are quite serious, it is too bad that we do not see people share their humor more often. There are very few threads which are simply focused on making each other laugh. Too bad. The humor mentioned by others in this post is rather infrequent and often missed or ignored.

Pat
07-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Honest, some of my best friends are funny...;)

Jonithan
07-22-2015, 05:51 PM
but be aware that A LOT Of people here are in a lot of varying states of vulnerability in a lot of their posts. We tend to err on the side of caution on this because of the venue.

I read and re-read my replies multiple times before I push the "Post" button. It's my mis-interpreted humor that keeps me from posting. I offend, I get that. I've lost many acquaintances because I pushed send. The friends that remain know me and how I am. They get me. And, so in keeping this topic based on cross dressing, I just bought a cute Coach PeanutsX(R) bag.

joni

Dianne S
07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
would it be possible to have some sort of completely inappropriate section just to let off steam?

I like that idea! I would support it. It could have a big warning saying "UNMODERATED AREA; ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" and maybe only people with 50+ posts could be eligible to prevent the worst types of abuse.

Anyway... I liked the "Trans and Dental" bit from Carole. So here are my attempts:

What happens if you have a containment failure? It's a serious gaffe.

How many trans people does it take to change a light bulb? One, but only if the bulb really, really, really has to change.

How do you know you're in the modern era if your brother transitions? Because you enter the era of the trans sister.

AngelaYVR
07-22-2015, 07:07 PM
What's the difference between bureaucracy and cross dressing?
With one you fill out forms, with the other the forms fill you out.

Jenniferathome
07-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Belle, this forum is dominated by the misinformed who think that "support" always means "you go girl." Sometimes, support means telling it like it is and sometimes support should be a joke but words on an electronic forum can not always convey the intent. I have been chastised several times for not using a smiley face when I joked about something. I guess I'm not that funny. Then again, maybe the person doing the chastising is a dullard. It doesn't matter.

We are far too serious here and it's getting really boring. Joke away and let sarcasm rule!

justmetoo
07-22-2015, 10:01 PM
I enjoy humor, but it can be tricky. It can easily be misinterpreted and cause offense, or be outright offensive, or simply be offensive due to lack of entertainment value. I do agree that humor is good and important and I try to look on the funny side of things. I also understand that some of my own jokes will land flat and/or cause offense. I try to watch out for that. One thing to keep in mind is that many of us may have been the butt of many a mean-spirited joke or other attempts to pass off bullying as humor, so people might be sensitive for that reason.

That said, I do enjoy the humor exhibited by some of our members.

My apologies for the lack of anything resembling humor in my post. :P
(I hope that doesn't garner me the Wrath of the Mods for being off topic or out of line or anything...) :straightface: :heehee:

tommy
07-24-2015, 05:47 PM
where's Ru Paul when you need him? er..her?

Krisi
07-24-2015, 06:00 PM
A mushroom walks into a bar and the bartender says "We don't serve your kind here." and the mushroom says - "Why not? I'm a fungi."

paulaprimo
07-24-2015, 06:57 PM
I don't have a serious bone in my body. i'm always happy, in a good mood, love to laugh and have a great sense of humor.
I make more fun of myself as I have so much to work with.

caught my wife in bed with my bf, told her to leave and said to my bf... bad dog, bad dog! :brolleyes:

my wife ran off with my bf... and boy do I miss him. :sad:

I light my cig before sex, this way when im finished its already lit. :thumbsup:

my wife and I only smoke after sex...I haven't had a cig in 6 months, she's up to 2 packs a day. :D

and if you're curious, i'm divorced... 3 times :)

lily1974
07-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Speaking of humor and funny stories. Reminds me of one of my first visits to VS to by some underclothes. Having a gf as small as me helps. However this one in particular time when we walked in the young girls asked us "And who are yall shopping for today?". My gf without missing a beat piped up "Him." The girls face was almost lost. Of course me being new to buying my own garments fumbled out very red faced "her, but we are just browsing". And there it was I could have been fitted for a bra that day and I panicked. Of course I have never seen my gf laugh that hard before. Not sure if she was laughing at my terror or the expression on the young girls face.

flatlander_48
07-24-2015, 08:11 PM
I suppose that just is or is not in someone's makeup.

Maybe, maybe not. Could be in their jeans...

44d? Hmph

38DDD, but who's keeping score?

Honest, some of my best friends are funny...;)

Funny Ha-Ha or Funny P-e-c-u-l-i-a-r?

I like that idea! I would support it. It could have a big warning saying "UNMODERATED AREA; ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" and maybe only people with 50+ posts could be eligible to prevent the worst types of abuse.

No, what this country NEEDS is a Good 5 cent Rim Shot!! There's NEVER one around when you need it!?!?!?!?

But seriously folks, I prefer the issuance of finely crafted prose; the cerebral emission of hard-earned wisdom and BS so ripe that you can detect it from the next county. That heady assemblage of verbiage can ONLY come from that most stealthy of creatures:

The Political Speech Writer!!!

Congregation Say Amen!

DeeAnn

Tracii G
07-24-2015, 08:58 PM
The TG/CD crowd here have a good sense of humor.
I never take myself too seriously and If I were to transition and become post op I would probably lose my sense of humor.
Goofy things happen to me quite frequently and I share some stories here but not all of them.

Belle Cri
07-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Amen. lol - powerful use English, always impressive.

Princess Chantal
07-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Thanks to growing up in the 80's, I got my humour from the cheap laughs of that era's movies Porky's, Animal House, Bachelor Party.....

Belle Cri
07-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Isn't cheap fun wonderful?

Princess Chantal
07-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Actually did that quick pose to get a chuckle out of my (FtM transperson) friend and lessen his nerves while waiting in the radio station for our interview

Claire Cook
07-25-2015, 05:31 AM
Well, let's face it everyone, we ARE pretty funny....