PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need wig advice

Joanie
02-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I have crossed dressed off and on for over 20 years, most of my married life. Recently, have started thinking about getting a wig. Since I have thick natural hair, this is something I have stayed away from in the past but have grown curious and wanted some advice.

1. One of the stores I spoke to is more than willing to help. I think they help a number of women suffering the aftermath of chemo. I have this horror of being there for a wig and seeing some poor soul who has lost her natural hair and having her wonder, what the heck is this healthy guy doing? From the women I know who have battled cancer, I have this immense respect for them and wouldn't want to make one of these poor souls uncomfortable.

2. The web-trying to find a seller that doesn't have Wig in its name is hard. Just don't want a box showing up that says Paula Young Wigs on it as my wife knows I CD but I told her sometime back I had never had a wig. Sort of a don't ask, dont' tell policy prevails here with her tolerating it as long as she doesn't see or hear about it. She has seen me in panties and hose but nothing else. Anyway, the wig purveyors on the net that don't have Wig in their name are generally lingerie shops selling one size wig fits all, which leads to my next question...

3. Are the one size fits all wigs any good? I measured for a large on the Paula Young site but a little shy about getting theirs as detailed above.

Many, many thanks for any and all help!

Julie York
02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
So BigTrannyWigs.com.....not for you then.:D

It's an interesting problem though.

Good luck. If I come up with anything actually useful I will share it.

Joanie
02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
BigTrannyWigs.com? A name like that on a box coming through the post would DEFINITELY make a statement, wouldnt' it???:cheeky: Not quite ready for that one but worth a laugh!

JoAnnDallas
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I too am in the closet, but I found a wig online that I just had to have. I emailed the owner of the shop and she saild that she could mail it in a non-discript package. When it came, it didn't say anthing about wig or any reflection to TG.

Shannon S.
02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Hello Joanie! :)

I really like the wigs from Frederick's (http://www.fredericksofhollywood.com). They're high quality and look sooooo beautiful. They are one size and fits quite niecly with a stretch netted cap inside. From my recently shipped orders... only the shipping label itself has had their logo on it.

If you're looking for total shipping confidentuality... then you might try 3 Wishes (http://www.3wishes.com). They ship in blank packaging and their shipping label just says "3WL" in rather small print. However, I'm not really sure on the quality of their wigs. They seem a bit lower in quality looking at the pics.

Hope that helps you some dear? :angel:

:<3:Shannon S.:<3:

kathy gg
02-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Some wig shops have private rooms and will make appointments with you. Rather than guess what style online, I vote for going in person.

You are correct most women in these shops are not "thrilled' to have to be buying a wig, but most smart store owners will find a way to see you after store hours or set an appointment in a private space.

Good luck!

Amanduhrob
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Take a look at this (http://stores.ebay.com/Jennys-HairSense_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm ) site, very nice merchandise, with very reasonable pricing.

They have 100% human hair wigs you can cut and style for under $100.00 U.S.

Joanie
02-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Take a look at this (http://stores.ebay.com/Jennys-HairSense_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm ) site, very nice merchandise, with very reasonable pricing.

They have 100% human hair wigs you can cut and style for under $100.00 U.S.

That's an interesting ebay store, had not seen that one. Thanks to you and the other for some good links to check out!!!

MsJanessa
02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
there are as many wigs as there are t-girls---I buy most of Mine from hisandherhair.com--they sell both synthetic and human hair at reasonable prices---the kind you get depends on how often you are going to wear it and where---most of us start with a cheaper synthetic style and then may supplement it later with human hair---the advantage with human hair is that it is easier to style(you can use heat). The disadvantage is that it HAS to be styled to look its best---synthetic wigs, ususually come styled and will hold thier style even after shampooing---all you have to do is let them dry naturally shake them out, comb or brush them and it will return to the style it was when you brought it. Human hair normally requires professional help. Don't hesitate to go to a beauty shop that specializes in wigs---tell them your situation and they are usually more than glad to help---as for embarrassing ladies on chemo I wouldn't worry about it most wig consultations are done in private.

Marla GG
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
1. One of the stores I spoke to is more than willing to help. I think they help a number of women suffering the aftermath of chemo. I have this horror of being there for a wig and seeing some poor soul who has lost her natural hair and having her wonder, what the heck is this healthy guy doing? From the women I know who have battled cancer, I have this immense respect for them and wouldn't want to make one of these poor souls uncomfortable.

Joanie, I'd really recommend going to the store for a fitting. If you call ahead for an appointment, they can more than likely set you up in a private area. When we bought my husband's last wig, we went through the frustration of ordering several online that did not look the way we envisioned and had to be returned or sold. It was a pain. In my opinion there is nothing like going into a shop where you can try on different styles to see what looks good on you. That was what we finally did, and it was a fantastic experience.

I do know what you mean about not wanting to be insensitive to those who may be on chemo. I felt a bit that way myself when we went to the wig salon -- not so much that we were making them uncomfortable, but that it seemed wrong to be having so much fun when they were there for such a serious reason. But I reminded myself that most wig retailers are in business to serve a broad clientele, including our community. The saleswoman who helped us also said that they have quite a few women customers who come in to try on and buy "fun" or "glamour" wigs. So you shouldn't feel that it is disrespectful to patronize the same shop as cancer patients. I doubt the other clients will give much thought to why you are there anyway, especially if the actual fitting takes place in a back room or curtained-off area.

Let us know what you end up doing! And good luck.

Hugs,
Marla

Petrina CD
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Definitly go to a wig shop and try on different styles and colors. It's impossable to tell what will look good on you and the wrong style will look terrible. Call around your area, lots of wig shops will cater to you as a tv/cd

AprilMae
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm contemplating the wig option myself, never gone as far as hair and makeup save for the occasional lipstick. It's probably just a quirk, but I've always been a little creeped out by human hair wigs. I don't know if I want to wear someone else's hair.

Aileen
02-09-2006, 01:20 PM
http://www.wowwigs.com

Jodi
02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
April Mae, For your first wig, do get synthetic. They are easy to care for, and are reasonably priced. Human hair wigs look nice, but have all the care issues that a gg has with her hair. Also, go to a wig shop. Get it fitted and styled to your face. You will not regret it.

Jodi

_Janelle_
02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Joanie, I just mailed a check to Clare McAfee at www.wiggoddess.com From her website she deals with CDers. In fact she also has a 1-800 number that you can call and talk to her. She will be the one that answers the phone. I had a few questions about style, size (I have a big noggin), and so forth. She was very easy to talk to on the phone, and so far my experience has been very positive. She ships very discreetly and bills discreetly as well if that is a concern.
One other option to consider is to contact a local UPS store. You can have the wig mailed to them, and then just go pick it up there. They charge $5 for this service. All you need is the UPS tracking number from the shipper so you know what day it will arrive, and then you can just go in and pick it up. They won't care less if it has wigs on the shipping label.

Good luck - this is my first wig, so I am rather excited!

Janelle

Joanie
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Joanie, I'd really recommend going to the store for a fitting. If you call ahead for an appointment, they can more than likely set you up in a private area. When we bought my husband's last wig, we went through the frustration of ordering several online that did not look the way we envisioned and had to be returned or sold. It was a pain. In my opinion there is nothing like going into a shop where you can try on different styles to see what looks good on you. That was what we finally did, and it was a fantastic experience.

I do know what you mean about not wanting to be insensitive to those who may be on chemo. I felt a bit that way myself when we went to the wig salon -- not so much that we were making them uncomfortable, but that it seemed wrong to be having so much fun when they were there for such a serious reason. But I reminded myself that most wig retailers are in business to serve a broad clientele, including our community. The saleswoman who helped us also said that they have quite a few women customers who come in to try on and buy "fun" or "glamour" wigs. So you shouldn't feel that it is disrespectful to patronize the same shop as cancer patients. I doubt the other clients will give much thought to why you are there anyway, especially if the actual fitting takes place in a back room or curtained-off area.

Let us know what you end up doing! And good luck.

Hugs,
Marla

Marla,

Thanks a million for your valuable perscpective on this, that's some great advice. I have found a nearby shop that sounds very receptive. I may order one off the web anyway to try out and then later do the in person thing, having gained some experience with owning a wig. Thanks again, dearie!

Joanie.

Joanie
02-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Joanie, I just mailed a check to Clare McAfee at www.wiggoddess.com From her website she deals with CDers. In fact she also has a 1-800 number that you can call and talk to her. She will be the one that answers the phone. I had a few questions about style, size (I have a big noggin), and so forth. She was very easy to talk to on the phone, and so far my experience has been very positive. She ships very discreetly and bills discreetly as well if that is a concern.
One other option to consider is to contact a local UPS store. You can have the wig mailed to them, and then just go pick it up there. They charge $5 for this service. All you need is the UPS tracking number from the shipper so you know what day it will arrive, and then you can just go in and pick it up. They won't care less if it has wigs on the shipping label.

Good luck - this is my first wig, so I am rather excited!

Janelle

Some great advice that I will follow up on, this sounds far better than some impersonal 1-800 number. Thanks!

Joanie