PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Transgendered"

Stephanie
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I was curious about how people in this forum (and elsewhere) define "Transgendered?" Helen Boyd ("My Husband Betty") defines "Transgendered" persons exclusively as persons who crossdress on a part- or full-time basis, often publicly "living" as a member of the opposite sex while using the term "Crossdresser" to specifically refer to people who crossdress only once in a while but publicly lead otherwise "normal" lives. I personally define myself as "Transgendered" because, although I have no interest in publicly "living" as a woman nor do I have any interest in seeking any permanent physical changes to my body, I feel that "Transgendered" better describes myself, as well all of us whom enjoy a wide range of "cross-gender expression" in regards to how we look, feel, and act. Also, for me, defining myself as "Transgendered" makes feel socially and politically connected to a larger group of individuals whom all share this unique interest. How does everybody else define themselves and what is your definition of "Transgendered?" Any thoughts or opinions?

TGMarla
02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
There is a definite gray area in Boyd's definition. I feel that I am also "Transgendered". It's a transitive situation (no pun intended). By her terms, all transgendered individuals are crossdressers, but not all crossdressers are transgendered. I do not ever intend to make any permanent physical changes to myself. Nr do I have an overwhelming desire to live as a woman, although curiosity does make me wonder about it sometimes. However, I will always crossdress to some extent. When I do, I feel very feminine, and I like it. I really feel that it brings me closer to how and what women are. I like that, too. I don't ever want to get stuck into that old male mold that society demands of men. Once risen above, never to fall back down again.

So by Boyd's definition, it's hard to determine the difference between a crossdresser and someone who is determined to be transgendered. I guess I'm both.

MsJanessa
02-09-2006, 08:48 AM
My view of it is that we are all transgendered---It's simply a matter of degree--some more so than others.

GypsyKaren
02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I consider myself to be transgendered, I feel that I am a woman, but I do not want to have surgery for various reasons. When push comes to shove we are all crossdressers, as we are genetic males wearing women's clothes. In some circles I would be called a non-op transexual.

Who cares? It's just a label, which I don't believe in. We're all human beings, pure and simple as that. I used to belong to Helen's forum, and they love their labels over there, they wear them like a badge of honor. They can keep them.

GypsyKaren

Louise
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
I think it depends on all sorts of reasons, why people choose to define themselves in different way's , i rarely here the term 'transvestite' any more 'crossdresser' seems more apt, but is the definition the same which is 'someone who gets sexual gratification from wearing clothes of the opposite sex'....[more or less]..........i always thought 'transgendered' basically meant a person who regarded themselves to be in the wrong body..........which is how I've always felt...[like a woman masquerading as a man, all my life].........i therefore felt my only option to achieve 'piece of mind' and some kind of 'normality' was to try and get some kind of balance in my life was to start hormone therapy [which has worked wonders in terms of my mental state, the physical effects although great, seem to be a secondary added on 'bonus'................anyway am i transsexual or transgendered !.........personally i don't think it's that important what you call yourself or how others choose to 'pigeon hole' you..........its what you feel that matters......[can anyone describe a color to a blind person or a sound to the deaf]............................lulu. :doh:

Cathy Anderson
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Stephanie :)

I agree with your definition.

One story (which I happen believe) is that the term "transgendered" was first used by Virginia Prince (founder of Tri-Ess). Actually, I think she used the word, "transgenderist," from which "transgender" perhaps derived.

A transgenderist is a person who remains anatomically male, more or less, but lives fulltime in a female gender.

But the term was first used decades ago, and we have to allow that language evolves. In this case, we need a word that is broader than "crossdresser" and transgender does nicely.

Cheers,

Cathy

Melanie R
02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
"The term Transgender means a broad range of people who experience and/or express their gender differently from what most people expect -- either in terms of expressing a gender that does not match the sex listed on their original birth certificate, op physically changing their sex. Transgender is an umbrella term that includes people who are transsexual, crossdressers or otherwise gender non-conformaing."

This is the definition now used by the Human Rights Commission, the Transgender Law and Policy Institute and the National Center for Transgender Equality. This is the definition we are using in our third editon of my wife's book, My Husband Wears My Clothes.

Hugs,

Melanie

Maria D
02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
If it's a simple matter of word meaning, then think about it. Trans, meaning 'to cross, or move to somewhere else', as in 'transfer', 'transplant', 'transmit', and gender, meaning 'male or female socially or bodily' (as removed from sexual identity).

Ergo, crossing genders. That's pretty obvious, to me anyway. Any other use is just putting a personal spin on it. If anyone (for instance Helen Boyd) wants to refer to a certain specific group of people, she needs to use or invent a term that correctly refers to those people, not steal another term that has its own, different, meaning, as defined by the word it IS.

Sarahgurl371
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Somebody should really come up with a concrete set of definitions... I get really confused in trying to figure out who and what I am with them changing all the time... damn labels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TG to me - someone who feels in themself (?) or identifies with the commonly defined attributes, character traits, of both masculine and feminine qualities.

In other words....ME

Julie Avery
02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Who cares? It's just a label, which I don't believe in. We're all human beings, pure and simple as that. I used to belong to Helen's forum, and they love their labels over there, they wear them like a badge of honor. They can keep them.

GypsyKaren

Ahh, snappy quote, and I love it!

There's no harm in puzzling over "Where do I fit in someone else's categories", but to take anyone's set of categories as absolute, rather than as one way of organizing experience, is a mistake. Heck, astronomers can't even agree about how the category "planet" fits into a range of categories describing heavenly bodies ;) , and that's not half as confusing a question as trying to categorize the ways people understand their own gender.

AnnaMaria
02-09-2006, 06:37 PM
why does it matter what term we use to describe who we are. For me there is no right or wrong I simply am me and that is all there is to it. To use a term to describe who we are is to place us in a box which defines who we are and therefore means that we never change in the way we feel or act and at least for me that is not at all true. Since I discovered the real me I have changed substantially and while I have no desire to make sergical changes I am sure that there are still other changes which I will go through as I learn more about myself and the feelings that I have spent a lifetime hiding. To the outside world I have a gender identity issue but I don't see an issue I see instead an opportunity to live a more full and complete life. The clothes I wear don't make me who I am but rather allow others to identify who I am. Why do I care? I don't really but I would rather let them identify me for who I am than be completely unknown and live life in a box.

anna

Mona
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I would use transgendered to describe anyone along the spectrum between female and male but I agree that definitions are shakey.

Liberty
02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
the clothes I wear for purpose of emanating the feel of the person within is certainly an indicator that my actions do go beyond simply crossdressing as an end in itself. What to say for a bedroom with linens fit for a princess... what about the scent of rose petals or jasmine about the house. I personally place importance on all of these things to create an appropriate habitat for myself. Is this what it takes to be considered transgendered? For me, gender is treated like a well balanced diet.

On another note, in my heart long ago, I asked eve to give me back a rib.
Luv you all, ~Liberty

Steffie-Lee
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
The clothing one wears, although an expression of ones inner thoughts, is not the full make up of a transgendered person. A transgendered person is more of a matter of attitude, a feeling, a fantasy, a longing or desire to be a member of the opposite sex......

Liberty
02-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I thought that was transexual.... and then there's the transvestite and even the femmephile and all inbetween, all under the transgendered umbrella...?

That gal spinning in the broomstick skirt at the Dead show was me. "en naturale"

Please ladies, I have lived most of my life in somewhat of a bubble and don't formally know to much of the popular transgendered consensus if there even is one... I would consider any guidance that you graciously send my way, thank you.
~Liberty

gennee
02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I am transgendered and a transvestite. I have no intentions of transitioning but would not mind living part or full time as woman. I have androyne in me, so I possess both male and female qualities. There is many gray areas in the transgender spectrum. I don't think the label is as important as knowing who you are. I am so happy to be part of a unique group of people.

Gennee

Stephanie
02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all of your responses. I enjoyed reading everybody's thoughts and opinions on the subject. For me, personally, I prefer to have something to define myself as, however I also agree that labels are ULTIMATELY unimportant in the grand scheme of things and that it is more important for EVERYBODY to recognize that we are all individuals first and foremost with unique thoughts, feelings, and experience that do not fit quite so easily (if they do at all) into "boxes" and "labels."

Bernice
02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Indeed Stephanie, we are all unique, and labels are simply a human attempt to organize and classify, despite the fact that when it comes to sex and gender identity, we defy any meaningful consistent and reliable classification.

I've read and learned from Helen Boyd and others on this topic.

I now believe we are all wherever we happen to land (or migrate to), along a continuous and movable spectrum of gender. The binary concept of sex or gender is an illusion itself.

I prefer the term "gender-gifted", which also connotes an enlightened attitude, as well as the ability to change.

Hugs,

Bernice

Liberty
02-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I really like that concept Bernice. Thank You

Cathy Anderson
02-10-2006, 05:09 AM
I now believe we are all wherever we happen to land (or migrate to), along a continuous and movable spectrum of gender. The binary concept of sex or gender is an illusion itself.
Not to mention that the normal situation might not be to occupy a single point on the continuum, but to be in constant flux. We may move toward one pole for a while, then towards the other, and that may be the natural and healthy state of affairs.

But maybe that's what you meant by "movable spectrum" :)

Cheers,

Cathy

Sally2
02-10-2006, 05:23 AM
So by Boyd's definition, it's hard to determine the difference between a crossdresser and someone who is determined to be transgendered. I guess I'm both.[/QUOTE]

Marla I agree with your thoughts on this matter. And your last comment "I guess I'm both" dictates a change in your name to CD/TG Marla:cheeky: Sally2

Sarah Rabbit
02-10-2006, 05:57 AM
My view of it is that we are all transgendered---It's simply a matter of degree--some more so than others.
I remeber seeing a Genetic 'Scale Line ' if you will for a lack of better
definition, You have Female at one emd and Male at the other end. everything in between is up for grabs

"I see dead people, they are all around us. They try to talk to us, but we don't listen"
I ask them "How did You get your makeup Sooo.....Goood!!

Bernice
02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Not to mention that the normal situation might not be to occupy a single point on the continuum, but to be in constant flux. We may move toward one pole for a while, then towards the other, and that may be the natural and healthy state of affairs.

But maybe that's what you meant by "movable spectrum" :)

Cheers,

Cathy

Absolutely!

What a thrill to be understood by you - better than I can explain myself!

Hugs,

Bernice

Kimberley
02-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Somebody should really come up with a concrete set of definitions... I get really confused in trying to figure out who and what I am with them changing all the time... damn labels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TG to me - someone who feels in themself (?) or identifies with the commonly defined attributes, character traits, of both masculine and feminine qualities.

In other words....ME
Me TOOOO!

Bridget
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Transgender, according to the website for my local uni's LGBTQ resource center is anyone whose gender identity doesn't match their genetic gender.

And i do consider myself transgender, of more or less equal measures male and female.

livy_m_b
02-12-2006, 01:00 PM
"The term Transgender means a broad range of people who experience and/or express their gender differently from what most people expect -- either in terms of expressing a gender that does not match the sex listed on their original birth certificate, op physically changing their sex. Transgender is an umbrella term that includes people who are transsexual, crossdressers or otherwise gender non-conformaing."

This is the definition now used by the Human Rights Commission, the Transgender Law and Policy Institute and the National Center for Transgender Equality. This is the definition we are using in our third editon of my wife's book, My Husband Wears My Clothes.

Hugs,

Melanie

This works for me. It includes my interest in embroidery and sewing and cooking when a young girl as well as my interests in feminine behaviors and dress later on.

It means nothing more or less than referring to occasionally crossing what others expect to be the line separating the genders. Of course, there is no line. It's a no-man's land, but also a no-woman's land - merely human. On either side there are activities any normal human being can or should enjoy without great social concern. If I hop over no man's land into no-woman's land or even woman's land, for whatever reason, or for however long, it's fair to call that act "transgendered". If I decide, for whatever reason, that I choose to remain there, I am merely permanently transgendered. Bye, guys! :) Or should I say "Hi, guys!" :)