PDA

View Full Version : Sewing your own lingerie?

unclejoann
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I have been eyeing the KwikSet book called Beautiful Lingerie and have really gotten excited about sewing some panties and camys and slips. Has anyone done this? Does anyone sew?

Maria2004
02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I sew, but not lingerie. I enjoy making my own dresses.

Melinda G
02-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I bought a sewing machine, years ago, to make some awnings and canvas projects for my boat. Then I realized it would come in handy for other "projects". I've never sewed dresses, but it is great for hemming and shortening dresses and skirts. Now when I buy something, I just make sure the shoulders fit, and I can always adjust the length. I had a long sleeve black dress, that I changed into a short sleeved "little black dress".:bs:

Bernice
02-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I've made many kilts, skirts, culottes, dresses, blouses, garter belts, swimsuits, and even some simple elastic girdles. I started with a Singer 1036 back in 1979. I have a Bernina now. I even do my own patterns.

Advice: Go for quality over features. Start simple, with straight stiches, no more than 8 per inch. When sewing, check, double check, triple check, make sure you have the proper sides together before you sew a seam, and be prepared to rip the seam back apart when you realize you still have it wrong. Spend a fortune on the best seam ripper you can buy. Most of your time will be spent undoing mistakes. Still, how else can you make a new feminine ruffled peasant dress for less than $8? How else could you have full flared skirts if that is your pleasure? Or tops with sleeves that are long enough?

As you advance, discover stretch material, but make sure you use stretch needles, and use a zigzag stich. Buy only the best needles! Change them whenever the machine gets flaky. Buy only the best thread, which will be very limp. Cheap thread can bind up the machine, and break needles, and drive you absolutely crazy.

In the end, especially if you make circle-skirts or kilts, the blind hem stich will get the most use.

You can do this! It's not hard, it just takes time and experience to get good results.

Hugs,

Bernice

Alayna
02-10-2006, 02:32 AM
If you haven't done much sewing, definitely start with easier materials. Silks and satins and other slipperies can be a real pain to sew! Cottons and stretch materials are a good place to start. Try a cotton nighty or a stretchy cami/boyshort set. Panties can be very difficult to fit, where boyshorts are much more forgiving and give you a better learning curve.

Even if you do have sewing experience, but not with such delicate fabrids you should probably get the feel for them with easy, pattern-based projects. Stay away from bias-cuts, bras, and things that depend on perfect shoulder/sleeve fits (most patterns need to be altered in that area to fit us right and re-drafting a shoulder to sleeve seam is a lot harder than it looks!). Keep to those guidelines at first and you'll pick it up pretty easily.:angel:

Imogen_Mann
02-10-2006, 04:24 AM
I make skirts from time to time, I was thinking about making lingerie, but as much as my machine will sew leather ;) I cant find the time !

I use two machines, for simple every-day jobs I have a Singer 7101 and for the tough stuff I have a trusty old (1960's) heavy duty Frister & Rossman, and I swear... it'd sew quater-inch steel plates together !

XX

Jayme.

susie d
02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I have some patterns for panties and slips, however I am not confident enough yet to tackle them so I limit myself to adding lace and etc to the existing lingerie I have to get the feel of it and it can be frustrating. A simple pair of panties can become a special pair with the addition of decorative color coordinated lace applied to the side seams or by placing diagonals of it from the waist to the leg openings. I have lengthened camisoles which are always too short by adding wide lace to the hem. Practice, practice, practice!

unclejoann
02-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks girls, I didn't expect such good, sound advice so quickly. So, this weekend I get the pattern and look for something simple to start with. I also like the idea of just adding a little lace to existing things, but of course I am lace crazy and most of it already is frilly as can be.

I do have sewing experience but usually things that don't need a fine touch. I certainly know about ripping out seams, I have done that many times, but you are right Bernice about getting a better quality seamripper.

I can hardly wait!

maid phylis
02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
i always sew my clothing and i have been doing it since i learned when i was in the navy.love phylisanne;)

Alayna
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
but of course I am lace crazy and most of it already is frilly as can be.

speaking of which, check out laceheaven.com (http://www.laceheaven.com)

tons of cool trims and laces and appliques - and they don't charge minimums. One time I just ordered a huge bunch of different ribbon bows and flowers. I'm sure you'll love them!

Bernice
02-10-2006, 11:55 PM
An afterthought:
Garage sales, and especially estate sales can be wonderful places to get all kinds of cool fabrics, notions, lace, etc. for mere pennies on the dollar. Great for trying a new pattern with fabric that wasn't $12 per yard!

For some reason, nobody seems to question your motives. Sewing is apparently not a signal that someone is a CD.

Hugs,

Bernice

unclejoann
02-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Bernice, you are right that estate sales can give you treasures. And don't forget estate sales in trailer parks -- you wouldn't believe the fantastic things I have picked up there. But alas, I don't recall finding lace. I did find loads of quilting supplies that I bought for a friend though.

Alayna, LaceHeaven is indeed a treasurehouse. Thanks for that tip.

And Maid Phylis, I would love to hear about learning to sew in the Navy. That sounds like a good story to me.