PDA

View Full Version : Is this too butch of a bike?

Krististeph
08-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Looking at a used Suzuki SV650- this is not too butch of a bike, is it? Not that it would stop me from getting it, but I always thought if I was a girl with my height- probably get a 400-650cc bike. I've had the GS 850G before- heavy bike but good for two up riding- and before that a 500 yamaha 8 valve, which was a pretty nice bike in general.

Now this one is the same dry weight as the 500- and has the power and torque of the 850. The seller even has a ladies jacket he wants to sell, not sure if it is my size or my wife's.

So how do you crossdress on a bike? Wig with hair coming out of the helmet obviously.

What leathers would work? I'd like something androgynous preferably, a lighter grey perhaps. My ideal feminine color would be with a tinge of purple/lavender.

Heck, this could be more fun getting the clothes than getting the bike. Holy heck, I guess i am a crossdresser!

Pat
08-25-2015, 09:28 AM
No such thing as a bike that isn't improved by a hottie driving it. ;) I have a Harley Super-Glide, so I can say from that end, there's no bike that's too butch. Sports bike riders tend to have a different clothing aesthetic than cruisers -- I have the advantage in that classic riding leathers look good no matter what gender they're representing, though I do feel a little uneasy about boots with high heels -- I'm always afraid I'll hook one on a lever and drop the bike at a stop light or have my foot slide out from under me because of the reduced contact patch. And when a 750 pound bike decides it wants to lay down, I'm not going to be able to stop it. (Been there; dropped that.)

I have never successfully managed a wig under my full-coverage helmet -- it always comes off with the lid. The only option I have is a half helmet and a short wig (to prevent tangles.) I have never seen a crotch-rocket rider with a half helmet, so it may not suit your style. Someday I'm going to get that red Ducati and then see how the other half rides. ;)

jamie-upstate
08-25-2015, 09:33 AM
Nothing like a girl in leather on a Harley
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/superlow-1200t.html

melanie206
08-25-2015, 09:44 AM
You owe it to the world to be on that bike in tight fem leather. Might want to take Jennie's thoughts about heels seriously though. Hope we see a pic if you follow through! BE SAFE!

Elli87
08-25-2015, 09:55 AM
nope that bike will be as awesome as you make it, there are Woman who are fighter pilots, Who Ride road kings, Who drive around in lifted trucks, by putting a cap on your fem persona or yourself presenting as a woman, it's like you put a cap on all woman. Get the bike and enjoy it but do it before the rainy season, it's always safe to stay in a cage when there's rain

Suzie Petersen
08-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Here is the outfit, both the leathers and the bike.

With the right leather, filled out in the right places, there is nothing sexier than a girl on a fast bike.

But .. with a full face helmet, the wig will come off with it, so dont do that in a public place :-)

- Suzie

Tina_gm
08-25-2015, 01:07 PM
I was just mentioning in another post how this forum actually is more guilty of ridiculously antiquated sexism, and gender stigmatized then the general public.....

http://cdn.sheknows.com/filter/l/gallery/jillian_michaels_biggest_loser_trainer_at_female_r ide_day_in_new_york_city.jpg

Elli87
08-25-2015, 01:18 PM
I was just mentioning in another post how this forum actually is more guilty of ridiculously antiquated sexism, and gender stigmatized then the general public.....

http://cdn.sheknows.com/filter/l/gallery/jillian_michaels_biggest_loser_trainer_at_female_r ide_day_in_new_york_city.jpg

Thats how I feel, not to put any ones perception of femininity down, but If I'm going to be or present as a woman Than I will be an empowered woman, I will enjoy and respect the struggles women have taken on to break boundaries for themselves

Persephone
08-25-2015, 01:21 PM
And then there's one of my all-time absolute favorite commercials... (Contains audio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQP882-pz8

Hugs,
Persephone.

Beverley Sims
08-25-2015, 01:28 PM
There aint nuttin like a dame on a big bike.

If you can ride it, get it. :)

andreanna
08-25-2015, 01:52 PM
I sure hope your not planning any long trips. Riding a crotch rocket is like a dog doing a football. Give me a cruiser anyway, Hmm maybe its my age or experience but I see more of these laid down or in accidents than I do cruisers is another point.

Donnagirl
08-25-2015, 02:47 PM
No... Thats a great bike... I've taken mine out frocked up a few times, although I'm still to get those pink leathers... Yes it's impossible to keep a wig in place when taking off a helmet. Yes makeup suffers, but it's such a rush...
I have been known to ride mine like I stole it, lifting the front wheel, even power sliding roundabouts... I love it when blokes pull alongside and really think it's a girl riding like that...

Paula DAngelo
08-25-2015, 05:36 PM
I'd have to say it's not to butch of a bike, but then I ride a Honda CBR. And contrary to popular belief it is possible to get your helmet off without losing your hair, you just have to be very careful, although it makes me glad that I don't need a wig anymore now that my hair is long enough.

rachellegsep
08-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Not to large at all I know several GG's that ride them like they just stole them !

char GG
08-25-2015, 06:04 PM
My daughter had the same bike. It was awesome! Not too butch.

Jorja
08-25-2015, 06:26 PM
I just saw a really cute blond girl riding a full dressed Ultra Glide at the bank today. Your Suzuki isn't even close to being too butch. Live to ride, Ride to live.

Ally 2112
08-25-2015, 06:53 PM
It's the way you dress and the way you ride .I have seen more and more women riding bikes no matter what brand .Usually they take it seriuosly but still look great .Kudo's to the ladies on a motercycle !

Karen RHT
08-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Been riding well over 40 years. Changed bikes like they were underwear in my younger days. Different brands, different styles. Got to meet and know a lot of posers, and a lot of real riders from both genders. No...that bike isn't "too butch" unless you want it to be. With all the riding gear choices out there, do what the GG's do...wear the style and colours that appeal to you.

Karen

Charlyne
08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Krististeph, Don't forget that other motorcyclists will usually gravitate to other motorcyclists. A cute girl rider will always draw a crowd.

AnnieMac
08-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Yes, it is.

Heidi Stevens
08-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Hey Kristi, if you can drive it, it's you're bike! Make it a girls bike if you want one that bad. I like some cars that are "girl" cars. So what, I like the car! Get your leathers on and head out!

flatlander_48
08-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Nothing like a girl in leather on a Harley
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/superlow-1200t.html

That shorty helmet doesn't work for me...

DeeAnn

Genny B
08-25-2015, 08:23 PM
I ride a VTX1300R and know two GG's that ride 1300 Ninja's! We all ride together sometimes and it's fun to see who is going to lead!

Genny B

Tracii G
08-25-2015, 08:40 PM
If it helps let me phrase it this way. Oh that is a pretty bike and the foot pegs are so cute!!!

notready4public
08-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Unless you're riding some custom bike with spikes that runs on testosterone there is no such thing as a bike that is "too butch". I have seen dainty little women riding big full dresser Harley's and still look absolutely stunning. On the opposite side of that coin, there are bikes that are too girly for some men. I had a roommate when I was stationed in Hawaii that rode a little Ninja 250 and he was 6'5". It was like watching a teenager on a minibike, lol.

Eryn
08-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Bikes are a visceral experience and all that really matters is how you feel riding the bike. If you're worrying too much about how you look you are getting way too close to being a RUB.

Hell on Heels
08-26-2015, 01:17 AM
Hell-o Kristi,
My opinion...... NO ! BUT !!! Is it a "big" girls bike?
Certainly it is a pretty bike, but it has a rep as a beginners bike.
If you have experience riding, you may find that it isn't enough, and end up
replacing it for something with a bit more power in the future.
Now, as far as CDing and riding your bike..... Haven't done that just yet, but
have thought about it. I ride a Harley so "biker" gear has to be my choice.
(I should have bought that damn Ducati) (hint hint) Shit! Just look for a damn Ducati already!
Check out a 900 Monster, you'll keep it forever!
Whatever you decide to wrap yourself in before that ride, just cover yourself well!
The road don't care about your gender!
Much Love,
Kristyn

Krististeph
08-26-2015, 05:02 AM
WOW- thanks for all the great replies! Yes, I now realize it was kind of a silly question. I was never into the cruiser bikes, but the wife has a Rebel 250 now- so she kind of goes with the look a little.

Sheesh- leathers have gone up in price. Here I am fretting over spending a few hundred on a really cute gown, and I’ll probably be dropping 2-3 times that for pants, jacket boots and gloves. This may be a challenge- sewing/altering leather is not the same as a cheap import dress.

Thanks for all the great links too!

Yes, if you are driving a motorbike, you should present as empowered- good mindset and better safety from other drivers- no question.

I’ve always love the T-Mobile girl- even more so after the bike ad.

The SV650 is significantly tamer than a CrRkt, good mid range torque- not quite like the BMW 65 maybe but not bad. It’s light enough to take it off road with appropriate tires, and I’m fortunate enough to be able to ride in that position for a bit- I sit on a bicycle seat for 4-7 hours at time- can’t be all that much worse… I could wear bike shorts underneath- come to think of it.

I’ll ride it easy at first, until I get to know it- take it apart and re-assemble the critical areas. But my crazy days are over- had access to a 750 GSXR with serious engine work- was faster than the 1100 in everything but flat out. I only ran once- I had borrowed my brother’s bike- older gs1000 geared low- but I was riding normal- a state cop singled me out right near my exit from the freeway. I could not get over how unfair it was- I was not riding bad at all, not speeding. Then it dawned on me that I could be speeding. Took the exit ramp at over 90, hoped a few sidewalks cutting corners- in about ½ mile I had pulled so far ahead of the guy I was walking up the front steps to my house on a sidestreet- bike parked helmet and jacket off- I actually see cop go racing down the main street thinking he’s still chasing me. Too easy to do- too easy to get out of control. I laid off.

I want something versatile, 70 Hp and 45 Tq is plenty for me on a bike that light. More than enough to get out of dodge in a hurry if need be- clearance to take it off the pavement on occasion, light enough to feel like I’m riding it rather than riding on it. It’ll bring back the old ‘glory’ (not really ‘glory’… just pretty good) days of the old XS500B.

I’d rather get a smaller cheaper bike and spend extra on the outfit. I’ll never look as good as Carly Foulks (the T-mobile girl), but if I can shrink my freaking waist down I might be able to pull off a decent feminine silhouette.

The wig would be a worry- but initial ventures would be not stopping anywhere.

Again- thanks for all the responses!

Barbara Black
08-26-2015, 08:46 AM
That should really be an ad about women riding bikes. So hot!!

desertrider
08-26-2015, 11:03 PM
I sit on a bicycle seat for 4-7 hours at time- can’t be all that much worse… I could wear bike shorts underneath- come to think of it.

Oooh! Now if you want to talk cd and those....it's taught me a lot about the different cuts of skirts & dresses...straitjacketed myself once or twice, and I'm a good 10mi from downtown, so it only took once or twice to learn ;)

sometimes_miss
08-26-2015, 11:15 PM
If you don't want a masculine bike, pick any model, and just paint the whole thing pink. Add a pink helmet, pink leather jacket, pink gloves, pink pants and boots and I'm sure no one will be thinking anything at all is masculine. There are lots of bike shops that will paint the bike for you, just tell them it's a present for your wife/GF/fiance or something, and there are vendors on ebay that will make whatever kind of pink outfits you want, including pink boots, you just have to search a few hundred pages to find them, but they are there. Problem solved!

This page gives you an assortment of pink motorcycle ideas, not all are cute-see ones.
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=111894

Cheryl T
08-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Would be a lot cuter in Pink....

colleen_cd
08-27-2015, 05:17 PM
You're making me mourn for my Ducati GT1000 :sad: SV650 is a great bike and I think you'll have many great years together! Definitely not a butch bike by any stretch.

Robyn B
08-27-2015, 05:19 PM
As a many years removed sport bike enthusiast (CB900F and 1'st gen Interceptors) I've always thought there was something a bit effeminate about modern sportsbikes. Sharp lines, bold colors -- quite similar to a high-end and edgy designer heel when you think about it. Butch? Absolutely not to my eye at least. Likewise, who would assert a Porsche or Ferrari was 'butch' just because they are fast!

Now, I've not yet seen a comment on the gender orientation of the adventure touring genre of cycling (I.e., dirt bikes with turn signals). My Honda is as butch as they come. Kawasaki makes an adventure bike with some degree of flair -- but once a Honda girl, always a Honda girl! :)

Charona
08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Way back when I was in the military, some of the folks who wanted to look like they had long hair (Think "Age of Aquarius") would glue hair into the back of their helmets. It looked pretty good, but when the helmet came off the hair underneath was military standard. Gave the officers fits. It might be an idea some could use.

Krististeph
08-28-2015, 05:14 AM
Well yes I did it. Cheap old sv650. The seller was a riot and a half- car racer- highly unstable, we got on wonderfully. Red paint. 2001. I’m riding it with an old joe rocket purple ballistic jacket. I feel like a true Polack. :-)

Closeout boots from dennis kirk, etc etc. purple gloves… oh yeah, we are SO doing this…

This butch bitch will not botch this mcy clothing batch!

Loni
08-29-2015, 08:45 AM
if you like the bike,
fit the bike,
know how to safetly ride,
then buy it and ride.

seen many a gal on a liter race bike. as for leathers, street use most just buy from the mens leathers (price/looks). the tight sexey leathers are more for show. but if your body is good to show off go for a custom set to show off the curves.

me i ride only as the guy, as the bucket messes up my makeup. and the wig stays in the bucket when i pull it off my head.

now if i could find a way around those two problems loni would ride? maybe a full on touring bike with a flip up face bucket?

5150 Girl
08-29-2015, 12:40 PM
If I win the lottery, this is on my list...
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/?album=zero-s-videos

HelenR2
09-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Here in Britain that Suzuki 650 has been a pretty popular bike among women riders since it came out, along with the 400 and 600 Bandit.