PDA

View Full Version : Joined a Group

CaptLex
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I just wanted to share that Wednesday night I attended a group session here in NY for females who identify as males. I was very nervous about going because I'm generally shy and don't do well in group situations, but it seems most people there felt the same way and we were all braving it together.

The 1-1/2 hour session went well (and went by quickly) and it was nice to meet so many like-minded people, even if everyone there was in a different place on the trans-spectrum (and most were younger than me). The sessions will continue weekly into mid-April, at which time there will be a "prom" for FtMs and MtFs (and SOFFAs), so I'm looking forward to that.

Gotta pick out a tux! :D

mistunderstood
02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Good for you. Hope this groups works out for you.

Maria D
02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Congratulations on your step :) I hope you get the support you want, it IS nice to meet like-minded people isn't it?
I hope they continue to go well, and if I may sugest, why not go for the full top hat and tails? Swish-swoosh :)

Ms. Donna
02-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to share that Wednesday night I attended a group session here in NY for females who identify as males. I was very nervous about going because I'm generally shy and don't do well in group situations, but it seems most people there felt the same way and we were all braving it together.

Hi CaptLex,

Did you go to the Gender Identity Project LGBT Community Center? I haven't been there in several years, but they have really good programs there and the facilitators have always been great. An excellent 'safe space' to meet other 'like minded' individuals.

Glad you're venturing out there a bit. I think you'll like the sessions.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Congratulations, Capt'n! I'm sure it's nice to meet some like-minded folks.

And BTW, we want a pic when you get that tux. ;)

Kieron Andrew
02-11-2006, 07:20 AM
And BTW, we want a pic when you get that tux. ;)i totally agree!!!

CaptLex
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Did you go to the Gender Identity Project LGBT Community Center?

Yup, that's the one - down in the Village. I love the Village . . . I wish I could afford to live there. The Center sure seems like a pretty cool place. :clap:

Marlena and kells: I hope to document the event with pictures and if I get a good one of me, I promise to post it. :bs:

Ms. Donna
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Yup, that's the one - down in the Village. I love the Village . . . I wish I could afford to live there. The Center sure seems like a pretty cool place. :clap:

I'm sure it's nicer than the last time I was there - they were in a temporary location then. Like I said, the groups are great and the gender exploration workshops are a good place for those 'questioning' all of this and trying to sort things out.

Let us know how it goes!

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Maria D
02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I've always found the expression 'workshop' funny. It just makes me imagine a workshop churning things out. I see a big production line, with thumping hammers, hot metal, steam and lots of noise, mass producing gender explorations.

Um, it's probably not like that though...

gennee
02-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Do you attend the wednesday night drop in group at the LGBT Center in the West Village?

Gennee+?

CaptLex
02-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Do you attend the wednesday night drop in group at the LGBT Center in the West Village?

Gennee+?

Yes, that's the one - the FtM one. There's also one for MtFs. Have you been there, Gennee?

gennee
02-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Yes, I belong to the MTF group. I go every time they have a meeting. Perhaps we will meet some time.

Gennee

CaptLex
02-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, I belong to the MTF group. I go every time they have a meeting. Perhaps we will meet some time.

Cool! I hope to attend the prom in April - I hope you can make it too. :cool: