PDA

View Full Version : couple's ettiquette?

BrendaB GG
02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
The thread on how you refer to people in this forum (biological gender vs presenting gender) got me thinking.

Tori and I were out the other night and we do have plans for more outings, the next being at an LGBT movie night.

So, my question is, how do I introduce her? This is my husband Tori? My wife sounds too weird. How about my partner or my spouse?

If you girls were out with your wife what would you prefer?

Brenda

Cheery GG
02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Brenda,

Lisa and i arent married, but if i ever need to introduce her i just say....'this is lisa'....people assume were together, as we look very much together and a couple. If theyre curious about anything else i guess they would just ask.

cheery
xx

Julia Cross
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
that makes sense to me as well, introduce her by her name, the assumption is already there.

julia

GypsyKaren
02-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Brenda

Kat introduces me as her life partner Karen, and I like that a lot.

Karen

JoAnnDallas
02-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I had a gay couple introduce the other as "My SO". That seems to work too.

MsJanessa
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree that her femme name is appropriate

Glenda
02-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Anything but huband. Partner, SO, better half.....

TGMarla
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I'd have no problem with "husband". I'm very proud and glad to be my wife's husband. If she were ever to introduce me to other like minded folks while I was en femme (yeah, like that'll happen), I'd really have no problem with "husband", because that is what I am. No one there would bat an eye, I'll bet. I don't see the problem here.

kathy gg
02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi...good question!

I think partner or my spouse are both good descriptions. I will do that in social settings where people may not know we are a couple. Amanda also wears an engament band as well as 'his' wedding band.

Now we have had people like on Pride weekend or even in a bar get confused by what is up. This may require more details, like we are married. But most people get the jist enough not to be rude or too nosey.

Rachel Morley
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
If Marla ever introduces me to someone at a Tri-Ess meeting or whatever, she usually says "this is my spouse, Angel". I like this because then she's letting everyone know we're married :)

Raychel
02-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Husband would work for me too!

Elsie GG
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
After discussing this with Dian, either by name or my husband works for both of us. As previously stated, Dian is very proud to be my husband. She dresses in what would be comfortable at the time, but she is the same great person no matter what she is wearing.

But it brings up a question - how many GGs are comfortable with their husbands introducing them as their wife, when the husband is dressed en femme? For me, I am proud to be Dian's wife.

Take Care and Peace
Elsie GG

michellecd9999
02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
My wife does not know and probably never will. Even if she did I know she would not go out with me. BUT... IF she ever did, I would just like to be referred to as her "friend".
Michelle

Holly
02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Being introduced as my wife's wife would just be too weird for me, too, Brenda. I think introducing Tori by name should be sufficent in most instances. If additional explanation seems appropriate, it could be offered voluntarily. And congratulations to you for being so supportive. :hugs: