PDA

View Full Version : The Duck Syndrome

JoAnnDallas
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Last year I started going out in public, enfemm, in the daylight. I was scared at first, but got comfy and relaxed as time went on. One sister here made a comment about the "duck syndrome" and crossdressing. After much reflection and thought (I am a scientist at heart and by trade), I have come to the conclusion that she is totally right.

It is my opinion that if you go out enfem and you follow the "duck syndrome" that you will NOT have much problem interacting with others and even if someone realizes that you are really a man, they will still treat you as a woman and with respect.

Thus, like the "Duck syndrome", if you are dressed like a female, you walk like a female, you act like a female, and as much as possible talk like a female, that most people even if they figure out that your really are a man, will treat you as they would any other female they meet.

What they think or say after you part company is doesn't matter.

GypsyKaren
02-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Joann

I find that it's all about attitude, or as you say, the duck syndrome. I act like I belong wherever I am, and I'm polite and courteous to everyone I come into contact with. So far I've always gotten the same in return, and I've never had any problems. If someone does read me and has a problem with it, well boo hoo for them, I could really care less. I don't need the stamp of approval from anyone to live my life as I see fit, especially a total stranger.

Karen

Natalie x
02-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh gosh, I wish I had your self-assurance, girls.

When I go out fully "done up", I feel self-consious and nervous, and I expect every next person to start shouting at me.

The only way I compare to a duck is that, on the outside I am swimming along with minimum effort, whilst inside I am paddling like mad to keep from panicking!

Laurie Ann
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
In other words if it quacks like a duck it must be a duck. Great idea and Karen I also agree it is a matter of attitude.

Julie York
02-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Got any bread?

:D

KatieZ
02-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Quack

Jodi
02-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I completely agree with the attitude and "duck syndrome". Occasionally, I will go to a tranny bar, but mostly I go out to different straight venues. It is all in positive attitude and how you carry and present yourself. We see many posts on the picture board where the question is posed "Do I pass". It is impossible to tell from a picture to tell whether someone will pass in public. We can see in a pic if her makeup is well done, is the outfit nice, is the hair nice, etc. But, we can not see how she would act or carry herself while in public. A girl can be dressed perfectly, and not pass at all due to incorrect body carriage and mannerisms. Conversely, a girl with confidence with imperfections can pass well. The secret is to be confident, look at people SMILE, move smoothly, and hold your head high.

I got PM's from a number of girls asking how I could go to a straight venue on New Years eve and pass. The answer is--I didn't pass or maybe did pass to some who were dead drunk. The answer is--I quacked and they assumed I was a duck.

Jodi

Rachel Morley
02-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Hello Joan,

I hear what you're saying :) If one presents oneself (as best as one can) as a woman and even though people know, if it's either too close to call or that your behavior is so "womanly" and totally not like a man, people feel like they should treat you as the gender you are trying to present.

I'm only just getting to grips with this concept. Even though I have known this for some time intellectually, it's a different matter to accept this in reality when you are out in broad daylight en femme.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I agree with you :D

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-11-2006, 01:41 AM
if you are dressed like a female, you walk like a female, you act like a female, and as much as possible talk like a female, that most people even if they figure out that your really are a man, will treat you as they would any other female they meet.

Exactly! I may blend in with a crowd, but I'm under no illusions that in up-close interactions I'm mistaken for a women. (Trust me, my photos here are carefully chosen....) And yet I'm generally been treated like a lady. Act like you deserve respect and my experience is that you'll usually get it.

lydia7
02-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Well said ladies...we will quack and waddle together!!!

JennMW
02-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I snipped this out of a Google Search, rather than rewrite it, but it is essentialy the way I remembe it:

I remember a sermon about ducks flying in a "V" formation when they head south together, etc. The head duck, the guy in the front of the arrowhead formation, takes the brunt of the wind velocity. The others in the formation cruise along in the draft he makes (kinda like race cars, bicycle teams, etc). It's an aerodynamic lesson from nature. Well, the ducks in the back of the formation can be heard quacking every once in a while. Apparently some scientists have tried to explain why they quack. You see, at that height and speed, opening one's mouth causes "drag" and slows the flier down. To quack requires a tremendous amount of extra energy that could probably best be saved for the duration of the trip (sometimes these ducks go a long way in one trip). One of the theories is they honk or quack just as a note of encouragement to the lead duck to keep on flying. Isn't that cool?

Wenda
02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree with the hypothesis. In a former life, I was evp of a large event. I was attending a large event in Texas, wearing a huge badge identifying me as an international visitor. Our international co-ordinator was also attending. She was amazed at the number of Texans who would come up to me and ask for directions, times of events, etc. The one that really blew her (and me) away was the news crew that stopped me and asked directions to the media room! Think about that for a second.
Her conclusion: If you look like a show manager, walk like a show manager, and talk like a show manager (with a Canadian accent), you must be a show manager.
How you feel has more impact on your image than any other single factor.
Walk on!!:clap: