PDA

View Full Version : Who were you reminded of when you tried on your first wig?

Jennie2
09-07-2015, 08:07 AM
About 4 months ago I plucked up the courage to visit a shop and start buying my own clothes, until then I had been wearing my wife's clothes. In fact it was a sex shop as I really was looking for some sexy lingerie. I did buy a couple of things, but this was the first time I had spoken to anyone about my cross- dressing and they were so nice and accepting it gave me the added courage to confront my fears and go into other shops, which I now do quite readily and buy all sorts of wonderful, exciting, colourful sexy clothes.

Whilst in the sex shop I noticed they sold wigs, I had to order one, as they only kept display wigs, which meant going back a couple of times, again this gave me more confidence, I ordered a long chestnut coloured wig, just how I'd always dreamed my long hair would be. The day came to pick up my wig, I was really excited and couldn't wait to try it on, The picture on the box was of a beautiful girl in this long dark brown wig, this is how I thought I would look.

I got home ran upstairs, opened the box and there was this beautiful wig, I put it on, adjusted it a bit and looked in the mirror and my heart sank, Oh no, all I could see was my sister looking back at me, ( not surprising really, similar age and weight) this really put me off the wig, I put it away and only got it out 2 days ago, since then I have lost over 14lbs, put a bit of make up on and wow what a difference.

So my question is, Who did you look like when you put a wig on for the first time? (maybe you still do look like them):devil:

pamela7
09-07-2015, 08:10 AM
i was made up before I put it on, and there it was in the mirror, the spitting image of a cousin (female!), and very close to one of my sisters. It was really quite unnerving and also awesome!

Cheryl T
09-07-2015, 08:10 AM
I saw a younger version of my mom.
Maybe I still do look like her at the same age and to me that's not a bad thing at all.

Sara Jessica
09-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Howard Stern.

And no, I better not still look like him!!!

It all had to do with trying on a wig for the first (and only) time in guy mode. Just not a pretty sight at all. This is why I will never ever ever recommend that anyone shop for wigs without being dolled up, at least from the neck up.

Katey888
09-07-2015, 09:02 AM
A zombie extra from 'Night of the Living Dead'... :eek:

Foundation too pale - eye makeup too heavy... the wig didn't really do much to overcome the makeup fail... :facepalm:

There are certainly hints of my mother at other times (similar facial features) but I wasn't actually reminded of anyone the first time - it just seemed a more femme version of me... I guess there are bound to be familial resemblances with female members of the family thanks to genetics - here's my mother when still just a teenager - you tell me if there's a similarity (this would have been taken around 1945-6)...

Sadly, mum never got to see this side of me - I suspect she may not have been totally surprised given a few youthful close calls... ;)

Katey x

(PS: As the executor of my late mother's estate, I'm giving permission :))

Leahann
09-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I went to a transformation place in NJ, and after the makeup andwig, in the mirror was my sister! Oh well.

Samantha2015
09-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I'd have to say a cross between my sister & mom.
I never thought I looked much like them before.
Strange how that works !! :)

taylormercedes
09-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Howard Stern.

And no, I better not still look like him!!!

It all had to do with trying on a wig for the first (and only) time in guy mode. Just not a pretty sight at all. This is why I will never ever ever recommend that anyone shop for wigs without being dolled up, at least from the neck up.

I agree, 1st time trying on a wig in a shop I ended up not buying it cause I hadn't shaved or put on makeup. I learned from my mistakes and went back with makeup on and ended up buying 2. Looked exactly like my younger sister too.

Jennie2
09-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Yes Katey I can see a definite resemblance with your mother. I wish my reflection had been my mother, rather than my sister. I'm sure my mother would approve had she been alive. You never know, depending on your point of view, they may be looking down on us passing judgement.

Sarah-RT
09-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I dont think I look like anyone really, I wouldnt be freaked out about the idea of looking like your sister, ever see siblings? they usually look quite similar, if they are the same gender then even more so, Id take it as a sort of compliment!

Sarah

Ceera
09-07-2015, 11:25 AM
For my first wig, I didn't get any solid connection. That was ages ago, when I was seeking to find a suitable wig to cover a US Navy Regulation haircut while I was attending a renaissance faire in male mode. I bought a unisex short brown wig, and it worked fine, save that I didn't yet know how to attach it securely to my fairly short real hair. So it came off once when one of the fair performers interacted with me and tousled my hair!

My first female wigs once I started cross dressing also didn't get much of a connection, mostly because they were inexpensive Halloween store costume wigs, and then a cheaply made wig from a shop in China, all in colors that I thought might look good on, me, but were unlike my natural color.

But the first time I tried on a wig that was suggested for me while on my first in-person visit to a wig salon, I looked in the mirror, and oh my God! There was my sister staring back at me! Now I actually kind of liked that, because I really get along well with my sister. And she's recently changed to a shorter hairstyle, so if/when she ever sees me in this wig or a similar one, it won't look like I am intentionally trying to copy her. But when we were growing up together she often wore her hair at this length and in a similar style.

Robin414
09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
For me, Marylyn Monroe, I'm still a blonde but a little more wash 'n wear now 😕 I've never been a real fan per se but I think she once said "if you can keep it together when everyone around you thinks you should be falling apart, that's true strength!" Heard it said and believe it to be true 😊

Amy Lynn3
09-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Jennie, like yourself I looked like my older sister. Not what I expected, but such is life.

Adriana Moretti
09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
my mother LOL......it also helps that it was her wig xoxo.....now I look like my sister, one of my cd gal pals was at my house and saw a picture of my sister and was like "WOW"..You REALLY look like your sister" xoxo

Teresa
09-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Jennie,
I share a facial likeness to my sister and mother, my sister is eighteen months older, she wear very little makeup.
My wig is nothing like her hairstyle so when I'm made up with wig it's basically me , I've never thought I resembled anyone so it's never bothered me.
As for choices of wig when you get to a certain age long ones don't look right on me but I need some fullness round the face and enough length to hide some large male ears ( which I hate, but I won't be doing a Van Gogh !)
All I know is when the wig goes on the man disappears and I love it but don't get the chance to do it often .

AllieSF
09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I looked like me in a wig. However, a couple of years ago I met my sister and brother in the Denver airport. I had been growing my hair out for quite awhile and it was just over my ears. As my sister walked down the concourse and saw me, she shouted out, "Hi Mom!". After we all stopped laughing I really wondered if I actually looked like her. I still don't know.

Danitgirl1
09-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I too was reminded of my sister, but that is all good because she is a classy good looking woman.
I would be happy to be thought of as looking something like her...
And yes it is not surprising because genetics!
:D

Maria 60
09-07-2015, 03:07 PM
My first wig was a chestnut colour and was fine, I then wanted a black hair wig and as soon as I put it on I looked like my sister. My wife got freaked out and told me to remove it.

Maryesther M.
09-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Growing my hair out is no longer an option for me, but I did buy a shorter 'Jenna' wig and hey presto, there in the mirror was my Mum as I remembered her years ago when her hair was brown.

M.

AngelaYVR
09-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Veronica Lake. Sadly, the wig that made it possible is looking a little worse for wear, lately.

Emilyl
09-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Jennifer Aniston :)

~Joanne~
09-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I looked like my mom and was in horror. My first wig was a disaster to say the least. Not because I saw my mom persay but I still saw Me. My wig I use now, I don't see "me" after the makeup and finally the wig. So I am very happy with it :D

Candice June Lee
09-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Today, i got made up, decided and asked if i could use my wifes wig. Its a bit shorter. Got it on and rechecked, saw my mother. Oh god what a shock. Well i just went with it.

JayeLefaye
09-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Bianca Jagger.

When I was 19, I looked like Mick, but time took it's toll on the both of us...30 years later, with some decent make-up and my first wig, it was Bianca.

10 years later, I went blond for the first time ever, and it was a whole different look:-)

Ain't this fun?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Jaye

Jennifer B
09-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Ozzy Osbourne. Which reminds me, I need a different wig. :doh:

flatlander_48
09-07-2015, 07:50 PM
The first time doesn't really count as I used a wig that my first wife left when we separated. It just sort of sat there as I really didn't have much of an idea as to what to do with it as far as combing went. It also didn't help that it had been sitting flat and crushed in a box.

The second time was some years later and was a wig that was used as part of a makeover. My mother wore wigs and this one was very close to a style that she once wore. It surprised me that I looked so much like her.

DeeAnn

Kate Simmons
09-07-2015, 07:55 PM
I would have to say Stephanie Powers, the girl from UNCLE. :)

Diane Smith
09-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I look like a younger version of my mother. Not like the way I ever knew her, but as she looked in pictures taken when she was a teenager in the 1940s.

She didn't wear the tattoos or nose rings, though. :)

- Diane

Adelaide
09-07-2015, 10:10 PM
It was a gorgeous long hair wig to my bum. I felt like a million bucks. So feminine....even if I wasn't dressed up. It's definitely one of the reasons I have real long hair today.

Heidi Stevens
09-07-2015, 10:14 PM
My first wig was red. No one in my family is red headed, so I couldn't tell if I looked like anyone I knew. Here's a photo of the wig, you tell me.

Clodagh
09-08-2015, 03:34 AM
The first proper wig I used was the same colour and length as my sisters hair. When dressed I ended up looking exactly like my sister. Which was weird.

Sarah Beth
09-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Bozo the clown but maybe the rainbow colored wig and the big red nose had something to do with that!!!!!!!

Now on the serious side, I still looked like me which really put me off for a time. My first wig was a short haired one I got at a thrift shop in Topeka KS not to long after I first got married and was still in hiding from my wife. At the time I had been used to having long hair and had gotten it cut off when we got married so after I bought that wig I wished I had found one with longer hair. No matter in went in purge not to long after that.

BLUE ORCHID
09-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Hi Jennie, Sometimes I would see my Mom or my sister in the mirror.:hugs:

BarbDriscoll
09-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Not sure I saw any particular person the first time, but now that I've gotten (much) older sometimes I see my Great Aunt Mildred. She was a very nice old lady and I loved her dearly, but it's not quite the look I was going for :)

Jennie2
09-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Hi All
Looking at your replies it seems to be evenly split, we mostly look like our mothers and/or our sisters, with a few movie stars and singers in there as well. I suppose it is not surprising really but I was totally shocked that I looked like my sister as I had never considered there was a resemblance and with a bit of make up I think I look better than my sister.

Sharon B.
09-08-2015, 12:43 PM
I looked like my oldest sister.

sometimes_miss
09-08-2015, 01:58 PM
It's kind of odd, because when I was a teen I had long, straight, pretty hair and when I crossdressed, I tried to style it the way a girl would, with some sort of barrettes or cute clips. Back then before puberty, yeah I would probably have passed, there were plenty of young, slender girls like me, so many wearing our A cup padded bras (not like today, as the average type is fat). So, 30 years later, when I got my first wig, I had picked out a wig that was the same color as my hair was as a teen, I sort of envisioned that I would look similar to how I did when I was younger. Nope. Not even close. Now, I just looked a lot like my older sister, who was in her fifties. Ugh. So I played with what make up I had, using youtube tutorials as my teacher, anything to change how I looked. Sort of worked, I now looked quite different from sis, but never intentionally looked in the mirror again while dressed up. It was more important to me how it made me feel, the outward view, not what I looked like, because pretty much no one ever sees me dressed up as a girl.

Midasgirl
09-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I looked rather like a younger version of my mother. Which was maybe kind of appropriate, given that as a teen I'd worn most of her clothes more often than she did herself.
It was only a cheap, costume store wig.