PDA

View Full Version : Ugh.... Have to vent.

Megan G
09-10-2015, 05:06 PM
So I guess lesson learned when it comes to doctors referrals to specialty clinics...

So 6-8 months ago I went and seen my family doctor to have him put in my referral to the CAMH clinic So I could get our provincial health insurance to cover SRS. I wanted to get my place in line spoken for as I heard the wait times were long. Having the province pay for this would allow me to save for FFS and breast augmentation. I followed up with the clinic 4 days later to confirm that they had the referral so I thought all was good. Till yesterday....

I went to see my new endo Yesterday as I had trust issues with my old one (long story). The initial appointment was 2 hours long and due to long wait times at CAMH one of the first things they do is submit a referral for surgery if that is something you are interested in. I explained to them that I already had this submitted so they asked if I received my confirmation letter... NOPE

So when I got home I immediately called the clinic to see what was up and was informed that my Family doctor did not put the reason for referral as "surgery", he put down that I needed "transgender counceling" and since they do not offer this service they sent a letter out to him 3 months ago asking for confirmation but he never replied to it.

So long story short I had my new doctor submit the request and they called this morning to confirm but i lost the 6-8 months I thought I was already on the list.

I was ssssoooo pissed but lesson learned. Keep following up on this stuff to make sure everything is going smoothly no matter the wait times involved...

Jennifer-GWN
09-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Vent away... Especially in our area Ontario and the huge backlog queue. I shutter to think what I'll be hitting when I talk to my doc shortly on the same topic.

I Am Paula
09-11-2015, 07:23 AM
CAMH is better than nothing. A lot better than nothing, but has major frustrations.
In my social/support group not one girl has yet gotten a call about their surgery, and most have waited three years. Trans advocacy groups are trying hard to speed thing up, as the delay is not the fault of surgeons waiting list. It's just beaurocracy slowly grinding away.

Eringirl
09-11-2015, 07:47 AM
I hear you....it really does suck. It is to the point that I am starting to save to see if I can self finance somehow as the waiting times are just insane, and in fact, inhumane....

Stick with it, don't loss your place in line, we can only hope that the changes they are contemplating are actually implemented.....but yup, what a shining example of bureaucracy run amuck ....