PDA

View Full Version : I feel kinda young here...

Saikotsu
09-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Good day everyone,
I've noticed that a lot of the people on this site seem to be older than me. I've heard numerous people mention how they're later in life and all that. I'm just kinda curious about why I don't see more people in my age group (late 20's)

ashley-fl
09-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm 27, so there are some of us.

STACY B
09-11-2015, 02:11 PM
All the young people are at work,, All of us old lady's are home all day,,,lol,,,

Cheryl T
09-11-2015, 02:17 PM
I think you'll find that many more of the younger girls are much more open and out than the older ladies.
They are in a position that is easier for peers and society in general to accept, lucky them. Because of that I feel that they don't seek out places like this as they don't feel the need. That's one reason why some support groups don't have younger members.

Abby Kae
09-11-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm 33 (for today...) I don't feel like I fit in with the younger generation, or the older, lol.

ReineD
09-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Here's an interesting survey of forum members' age brackets, taken when we used to have forum surveys. It's interesting because more than 500 members responded. The thread is from 2008 and although members have come and gone since then, I imagine the age spread is not significantly different.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?88026-What-Age-Brackets-Do-We-Fall-into/page5&highlight=

heatherdress
09-11-2015, 03:38 PM
It is not possible to get accurate age data of our membership. We only see self-reported profile ages responses, ages reported in surveys and pictures. I suspect, however, that our membership has pretty consistent percentages across age brackets because the percentage of actual crossdressers is probably consistent at different ages.

If you look at the 2008 survey, and combine the 20 and 30 brackets, self-reported ages would be:

20-39 23%
40-49 22%
50-59 32%
60+ 23%

Maybe the 20-39 members are represented lower because they may use other media tools to communicate.

The age spread does confirm, however, that 77% or respondents are over 40, 55% are over 50 and 23% are over 60.

But everyone is young at heart.

Pat
09-11-2015, 03:44 PM
I read something once that said when we start out it seems like everyone is older than us and then one day without warning we start to notice that everyone is younger than us. ;)

Time is fleeting...

IamWren
09-11-2015, 03:54 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought, " you know... despite being in my late 40s I feel kinda young when I'm here, too."

I thought to myself, "When I start reading the threads and begin fading into my feminine side... Sayyidah Sue feels so much younger than my male side. This thread might be really interesting."

Then I read it and was like... oh. :straightface:

Candice June Lee
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Age is a relative term. Our bodies may be old but our minds are young. Besides we were young to you know. I am only 18 in my mind. Lol but my body don't like doing 18 year old stuff.

Ezekiel
09-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Indeed, I've noticed it the first couple weeks I joined the forum that members here are most of them over 40. I believe young crossdressers are all at instagram, deviantart, tumblr, YouTube and specially, reddit, and its all about pictures or videos, which honestly... I prefer a forum where matters can be discussed properly.

I am 24 myself, by the way, so I am one of the youngest arround here.

ReineD
09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Maybe the 20-39 members are represented lower because they may use other media tools to communicate.

I think that reddit has more younger people. If you click on the avatars, it takes you to pics on imgur.
https://www.reddit.com/r/crossdressing/

Ninna
09-11-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm 26 girl!! ;)

Ezekiel
09-11-2015, 04:19 PM
I think that reddit has more younger people. If you click on the avatars, it takes you to pics on imgur.
https://www.reddit.com/r/crossdressing/

Indeed, reddit seems to be full. I ventured there twice, but didn't settle. As I said, I prefer forums.

Lorileah
09-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I can think of a few reasons. the 20-40 crowd is focusing on jobs and families. The "younger" people also are more into the sexual aspects or some sexual aspect. The younger people have a more open society and don't have the baggage we old people haz. More over, in my opinion, younger people are still thinking it is something that will pass as the get older

Saikotsu
09-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint, Sue.

As to your point, Lorileah, I'm the exception to that. There was never a sexual aspect for me, and I don't think any of this will pass as I get older. Honestly, I don't want it to, I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

Regarding social media, I avoid it like the plague, but I am on a few of the sites mentioned above. None of this side of my life leaves this side of the webernetz though. I keep it all here. Offline is a bit of a different matter.

Cara Lacey
09-11-2015, 05:14 PM
You'll find that a large amount of people in their early 50s will "come out" as gay, crossdressers, transgendered, etc. because they have reached the point in their life where either they show who they are or carry their secret to the grave. You will want to scream from the roof tops after having a secret for 40 years.

As I got older I cared less and less about other peoples opinion of me, so I felt free to express myself any way I wanted ...and if they didn't like it....well you know. :)

Also, by the time we get into our 50s the kids are all grown, and we are more financially stable, so being "out" will not have as severe ramifications.

Katey888
09-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Just enjoy it Ady, while it lasts... :D

I am so old this is the only forum I succeeded in understanding the application form for...

Ruminating and intellectual cud-chewing tends to be the province of older, domesticated folk - you wild youngsters are out there just having fun, like you should be! :yahoo:

Don't stop for us... your time will come... :devil:

Katey x

Ally 2112
09-11-2015, 06:29 PM
A lot of us were also young when we started unfortunately there were no great sites like this .Don't worry about your age have fun accept what your doing :)

Lily Catherine
09-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Would say much of the younger generation has turned to more visual means. Even though I'm part of that generation, it's much easier for me to communicate in the written word.
For such sites as Instagram and Tumblr, if you post a pic, that becomes the main dish. The text is always a side order. Which becomes a little meaningless in many cases. Among the younger CDers (I'm nowhere near exempt, evidently.) the sexual aspect is quite highly visible as well. Now this isn't wrong or bad in itself, but occasionally difficult to get past at times, and makes it harder to consider cross-dressing inherently anything more than a mere fetish when confronted. That does absolutely no justice to the entire spectrum of 'us'.

At 20, I'm already one of the youngest here. Mostly because I'm trying to come to terms with my CDing as much as I can. Despite the openness of this society, it's been a little hard to look for other people near me who cross-dress and openly admit it. Even I don't till anyone asks. But I definitely felt like 'the only one' even though, among young people and even young Singaporeans, there is statistically no way in hell I can be.

Jilmac
09-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Perhaps you aren't seeing as many people your age on this forum because they are using other means of communication. Also I believe the younger generation is much more accepting than mine, which makes it easier for twenty somethings to come out among their peers.

Avrial
09-12-2015, 12:37 AM
There was a similar thread a few months ago. Found out that the forum appears even older because they're posting more often. The younger crowd is here but not as active.

Kaze_
09-12-2015, 02:08 AM
Would say much of the younger generation has turned to more visual means. Even though I'm part of that generation, it's much easier for me to communicate in the written word.
For such sites as Instagram and Tumblr, if you post a pic, that becomes the main dish. The text is always a side order. Which becomes a little meaningless in many cases. Among the younger CDers (I'm nowhere near exempt, evidently.) the sexual aspect is quite highly visible as well. Now this isn't wrong or bad in itself, but occasionally difficult to get past at times, and makes it harder to consider cross-dressing inherently anything more than a mere fetish when confronted. That does absolutely no justice to the entire spectrum of 'us'.

At 20, I'm already one of the youngest here. Mostly because I'm trying to come to terms with my CDing as much as I can. Despite the openness of this society, it's been a little hard to look for other people near me who cross-dress and openly admit it. Even I don't till anyone asks. But I definitely felt like 'the only one' even though, among young people and even young Singaporeans, there is statistically no way in hell I can be.

Well, I was going to post about being the youngest in thread so far, but you got me beat by one year.

Adriana Moretti
09-12-2015, 02:58 AM
kudos to you.....I hope you stick around ....i agree with you though.....there is a BIG generation gap here.....but please bring whatever issues you may have to the table ...it would be refreshing to hear rather than.....my wife..my wife...panties, panties, ..... most of those pictures though on instagram or tumblr..i pay no mind to, its easy to sit at home and look pretty and snap a picture, lets see them out after a night partying....wait....most of them dont even go out ..

Melanie 0339
09-12-2015, 04:40 AM
I'm 37 so not sure somewhere in the middle ground I guess xxx

Marcelle
09-12-2015, 05:29 AM
Hi Adyson,

Another potential is that for many of us more mature folks, we grew up in a time where this was not tolerated on any level and could in some cases get you jailed/institutionalized or at the very least beat up. So we retreated to repression and closets to imbibe in making ourselves happy. This predates the internet in most cases so we felt alone. Once the internet came along and we found a community of sorts we jumped in with both feet because we found kindred spirits we could talk to and identify with. Even though we live in a more tolerant society today you also have to remember our contemporaries may not be as tolerant as your contemporaries so it is easier to come here and discuss then with you buddies over beer. For the younger crowd, being TG is more known and for some you have been exposed to it, may have other friends like you or, your group of friends are quite cool with it. As such, your generation (and not all) have an easier time assimilating into society and actually living your life openly if you choose . . . Yup not that simple for all in your generation but it might explain why more older folks are here.

Cheers

Isha

joanna4
09-12-2015, 05:30 AM
I'm in my early 20's, we are out there.

BLUE ORCHID
09-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Hi Addison, I turned 24 for the third time last Dec.:daydreaming:

IamWren
09-12-2015, 07:54 AM
I'll echo what Adriana said. I hope you and the other 20 somethings stick around and stay active on the forum sharing your experiences. It seems like almost all the threads I've seen regarding the younger set and them noticing a CDer out it usually describes an attitude of acceptance, tolerance or indifference.

It would be nice to continue to read those types of experiences and give us older gals who haven't stepped out in public some hope that if that day ever comes it will go without incident.

MissTee
09-12-2015, 08:06 AM
What's important is that regardless of your age you are welcome here just the same. Thanks for being part of the community!

daviolin
09-12-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm 67 years young is that good. I feel like a teenager when I dress. Does that help? Hey were all young girls when we dress. Welcome to the fold. Daviolin

Kate Simmons
09-12-2015, 12:09 PM
I feel kinda young here too and I'm 68. Go figure. :battingeyelashes::)

Celina
09-12-2015, 12:36 PM
So do I and im 29, just within the twenties still. I do think this is a great and very friendly community, but I am missing a way to have a more real time conversation with other members. Sending a PM or waiting for a reply in a thread with 10+ people posting too dosen't do it for me. A way of chatting like facebook messenger or something like that would be a very great addition in my opinion. Also I do have to agree and it's a shame that the age difference is that big on here. I feel, and no offence meant by it, that it gets a bit too pink foggy on here due to the high avg age, a bit like Adriana said with the posts she used as an example.

All this said, I do like the people here and the advice I've gotten on here has helped me a lot and I do hope I learn even more from some of the very experienced and wise people on here <3

LaSirenaBella
09-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I read something once that said when we start out it seems like everyone is older than us and then one day without warning we start to notice that everyone is younger than us. ;)

Time is fleeting...

True. I started taking my first steps out when I was 21, 22 years old. Now, I'm on the verge of 47. We're everywhere and able to be more visible at an earlier age.

Tempus fugit.

Sarah-RT
09-12-2015, 03:07 PM
I'm 25, I assume people my age and younger are either more open or else use other places to chat.

Saikotsu
09-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess there are more people on here closer to my age than I thought.

Perhaps the times are more tolerant now. I know in my experience things have gone really well compared to a lot of the horror stories I've heard. Makes me really appreciate growing up in these modern times.

Sexy_Stephanie
09-13-2015, 01:06 AM
Yeah were here just creepin though ;)

Nadya
09-13-2015, 01:33 AM
I heard a good possible explanation for this earlier today from older people in my support group. It could be because younger people tend to get better acceptance than those from older generations. That may not be the case for everyone for sure but transgender and crossdressers are more accepted today than they used to be. Hope that doesn't make you feel like you don't belong though. <3

Alice_2014_B
09-13-2015, 01:39 AM
I was 32 when I joined the forum.
:)

Brenda Freeman
09-13-2015, 10:11 AM
I am 61 feel much younger when dressed. I think us older girls struggled when young as there was very little info no internet, I felt I could never share with anyone my secret. Then finally the internet came along finding I was far from alone. I think that is why the older gals are more active on this site I am always interested in others stories as I spent way to long hiding. Love to here Younger gals stories too. I am sometimes envious as I wish I could have started way younger! NEVER TO LATE THOUGH. lOVE KNOWING WE HAVE A GREAT COMMUNITY HERE.

Janet Bern
09-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Most have been hiding in a closet most of our lives. When I got to late 50s I
realized more and more I was crossdressing. Eventually as I got older
I started with Makeup and buying undergarments that would help me pass.
About 10 years ago I started going out as a woman and spending my day that way.
Not going out much anymore.. getting a bit too old and the thrill is wearing off. However
I underdress and shop for clothes. I guess that urge never leaves.

kimdl93
09-13-2015, 12:20 PM
You are but a child�� But seriously, there's a wide range of ages represented here. For young people, that may seem odd because you tend to have most of your interactions in age segregated environs...schools, etc. but the larger world includes all of us, regardless of age .

Still, if you are patient, I think you'll discover quite a few 20 something's here.

LucyNewport
09-13-2015, 01:48 PM
When I first started going out dressed back in the mid-aughts, I found that most of the local ladies had a decade or two on me. It was strange at first. They had different cultural reference points and ideas. I always assumed that TG folks in my age group at the time (late 20s) were either closeted or rushing headlong toward transition. It was always a pleasant surprise to meet one my age who was in a similar place as me.

That's not so much of an issue now that I'm closing in on 40! Still there is a wealth of wisdom to be gleaned from people who have been at this a while. We older ladies tend to be at peace with who and what we are.

debstar
09-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Agree, while I'm not young any more I started out when I was young but a forum like this did not exist at the time.

Also at the time and where I lived it was not a good place to show any such tenancies.

As I grew older I have started ( I am just starting) to accept my self. That is the most important thing.

When young I recall doing and not doing lots of things out of fair of rejection from my friends... as time has past though I learnt that the people who can not accept you are actually not your real friends.

I will not lie being "outside the norm" can feel lonely at times. Just keep in mind that plenty of us exist. You are not alone.

Junius
09-13-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm 23 so you aren't the youngest...

theresa renee
09-14-2015, 05:57 AM
I am so old this is the only forum I succeeded in understanding the application form for...

OMG that was hilarious!

Sayyidah Sue feels so much younger than my male side.

i thought this was an interesting point - how many of us waited so long to explore this side of ourselves? if a forty year-old man starts CDing, does it for five years, gets the hang of it, forms their own style, learns how to walk in heels, shave legs, apply makeup, et al... well, at that point, wouldn't the alter ego be whatever age seemed appropriate?

i sent a photo to one of my GG friends, and she laughed at the "selfie" i snapped. she said that it looked like i was acting like a sorority girl in a college dorm room. well, what a great compliment! i finally got to be a twenty-one year-old girl :)

desertrider
09-14-2015, 08:40 AM
I for one, was too chicken to explore this path in my 20's. It was not an culturally available option in the rural US, and the need was not strong enough to overcome that. Looking back the potential was always there, but it was never cognitively or spiritually a road I could go down. Now there's definately a spiritual aspect, but I think that's for another thread.

Happy to have you. I've always had friends across generations. I enjoy that in this site as well. I've always wanted to see the world!

hugs, Summer :fairy2: