PDA

View Full Version : A couple incidences I had while at a gas station

Billiejosehine
09-11-2015, 10:32 PM
For the past 10 months, I have been going to the same gas station since it is around the corner from where I live and it tends to be the cheapest. During these past few months, I have never run into any type of problems with other people. Which made feel comfortable enough and safe enough to continue to go there; and not worry about things such as haters, transphobic remarks, and so forth. Yet, for some reason, within almost two weeks of each other, there where two incidences that have now left me questioning if was ever really safe to go there; and looking for a new gas station.

The first problem happened when this sketchy guy came right up to me (while I was in the middle of pumping gas), to the point of invading my personal space. Wanting to know if I would like to buy a set of large gold plated hoop earrings for $5. But after I politely told him no thank you; he continued to describe how nice they were; as he put them next to his ear and insisted that I buy them. At one point, he even asked how much money I had...("uhhh, none to give to you sir"). Finally, after a few minutes of him insisting I buy them, even though I kept telling him no thank you; he finally gave up he beings to walk towards his friend sitting near the entrance of the store.

Then, several days later, when I stopped by the gas station again, to fill up my tank and get a soda. One of the two men behind the counter, who has rung me up for gas and other things several times before. Seemed to be more focused on hitting on me then ringing me up for the stuff I was trying to buy. He spent like 15 minutes wanting to know if I was a boy or girl, if I was married or single, making comments about the batman shirt that I was wearing, the fact that I had nail polish on (trying to grab my hand to look at them), or that I had stubble/facial hair. He tried to explain that he was indian and how great that was compared to other cultures. Telling me how well he would treat me and respect me. While I somewhat found it very flattering in how hard Mr. Charmer was trying to hit on me. It became annoying, when he kept asking me if I was a boy or girl and then question me if I was sure when I gave him my answer; all because of how I looked.

Of course, while I am having this interaction with Mr. Charmer, the other guy behind the counter at some point chimes in to ask if I was a teacher. Because he saw me at the school (where I work) his kid goes to. After several attempts of being rung up for two items (due to his error), Mr. Charmer finally rings me up for the gas and soda. And of course, Mr. Charmer couldn't let me leave without asking me when I was free, telling me his schedule, and that he hoped to see me soon. Seeing that I'm more interested in woman then men and my sexuality is in a bit of flux right now...my sex drive and interest is virtually non existent since starting HRT. I just smiled back at him and said I was busy with work (two jobs), taking care of two children by myself when I have them and I'm not working, and other commitments I have.

When I'm finally outside and being to walk to my car, another random guy rushes over towards me, because he was trying to give out homemade music CD's for a small donation. I tell him no thank you and quickly walk to my car to fill up the tank; only to find out that I was never rung up for any gas. At this point, I just wanted to go to another gas station, but I was already on E, so I was kind of stuck in getting gas there. When I go back inside the store to pay for the gas again, there were several people at the counter. Who all had to look at me as they take out their phones to take pictures/videos. As if they were tourist and I was the attraction. One of the customers even had to ask me "where did you come from".

When I get to the counter, I made sure Mr. Charmer was not helping me this time. But, as the other guy beings to ring me up, they switch, and I'm stuck with Mr. Charmer hitting on me again. Luckily, I go rung up for the gas without a problem this time and finally walk to my car and fill up the tank. As I stood there filling up my tank, Mr. Charmer comes outside towards me and begins to asking yet again; if I was a boy or girl and then if I was sure when I gave him my answer. He then continued to ask if I was born a boy, and then felt it was okay to ask if I still had certain working parts; after telling him I was transgender and in transition. As soon as he asked that question, he crossed the boundary, I should have said something, but I didn't.

He continues to ask me again what my schedule was, told me when he was free (he really wanted to meet up at 11pm that night), and that he hoped to see me soon. Why is Mr. Charmer so intent on hooking up with me? Who does he think I am? When he sees that I'm finally finished filling up my gas tank, he asked me again if I was his "friend", as he extends his arm to shake mine. Being the nice person I am and the need to end this interaction, I quickly shake his hand. But of course, while in the middle of shaking his hand, he had to take his index finger and rub my palm...that has never happened to me and it made me feel down right violated and uncomfortable.

Shads_Firehawk
09-12-2015, 06:02 AM
Oh my gosh, how awful and frightening for you and I am so sorry you had to go through this. I'd complain to the manager or the owner of the gas station. You have the right do go about your daily business without hassles like that. Personally I'd find somewhere else to fill up from.

Laurie A
09-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Very creepy, please find a new gas station before this escalates!

Debb
09-12-2015, 07:01 AM
If you go back, be prepared for the Mad Charmer to think you want a relationship. These knuckleheads don't understand convenience, it's all about them.

jenniferinsf
09-12-2015, 07:29 AM
omg...what a creepy situation

we have homeless here who pester at gas stations regardless of gender but mr. charmer needs to be put in his place or else find a new station...a few extra pennies is worth the peace of mind

so sorry it happened to you

Krisi
09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
You could send a written complaint to the headquarters of the company or you could stop dealing with this place. Or both. There's not much they can do about the people outside but they should be able to do something with the employees.

This sort of stuff happens to non-transsexuals also.

Laura912
09-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Women are considered, falsely, to be easy prey. If you continue to go to this station, they will reason that you are receptive and will just work harder on you.

Barbara Black
09-12-2015, 10:12 AM
I would certainly go to another station, but I would also complain to the corporation and management that owned the station, perhaps it would get some policy in place that isn't there now. How awful for you.

Badtranny
09-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Come across the bridge and get your gas in Concord. :-)

Though my roomie, did have a similar situation a couple of years ago. Not quite as bad as you describe, but the assholes are out there, even in the beautiful SF Bay.

jules
09-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Laura is right find another gas station.DONT ever go back there.

Please listen to the advice.

Carmen
09-12-2015, 04:46 PM
What a hassle they've put on you!
A local station I used to go to was becoming a hangout during the evening hours. A mix of import racers and motorcycles. There was always people there blocking the doors, taking up parking, trying to look me down, blocking the entrance.
I called the franchise owner and informed him that his station was a hangout during the evening, he had no idea what was going on.
Now the station looks like a normal station.

RADER
09-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Wow!!!!You handled it very well.
How ever they crossed the line with their persistence asking you personal questions.
If it is a chain gas station...IE Mobil, BP Amoco, Exxon Etc. write a letter to the Corporate
Office detailing who, what and when on your complaint.
If it is a small private gas station, then contact the better business Bureau in your area;
Also contact the police, Nobody deserves that treatment, it is Harassment, and could be
called an assault.
Hope it works out for you.
Rader

Raychel
09-13-2015, 07:00 AM
That for sure would be the last time I ever visited that station.
I definitely do not tolerate any sort of harassment, especially at a place of
business.

I will gladly take my money elsewhere.

Billiejosehine
09-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I'm never going to that place again and find some place better. Even if I have to pay a few extra cents for gas. And I think I might look into contacting the better business bureau, since a small business.

mary spence
09-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Definitely don't return. That was very creepy and not worth the few cents/gallon.

JohnH
09-14-2015, 08:41 PM
I will toss in my two cents worth and say don´t return to that gas station.

I have not taken the step of adopting a feminine voice. However if I did for my everyday business and I encountered a ¨Mr. Charmer¨ like what you describe I would revert to my masculine bass voice and ask him if he had a problem. That would surely shut him up.

John

Suzanne F
09-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Billie
Which gas station was it? I go through Vallejo some since I live in Novato and work all over the bay. It want the Shell near 37 was it?
Suzanne

Billiejosehine
09-15-2015, 02:11 AM
No. It's more south east, off of Redwood/Admiral Callaghan Lane and the 80 freeway. The small valero gas station/Bonfare market

JohnH
09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Valero is definitely not just a small business. It is an oil company, so you could complain to that company. We have those stations all over the place in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

John

Eryn
09-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Time to find a new station and to lodge a complaint about panhandling and inappropriate conduct with Valero corporate.

Panhandling at gas stations is an ongoing problem, as patrons are in the open and stuck there until their tank is filled. Management needs to be proactive in keeping the panhandlers away.

If you do feel threatened, remember that you're holding a gas nozzle and a faceful of gasoline will deter the assailant long enough for you to get away.

Sometimes Steffi
09-15-2015, 09:36 PM
It's kind of too bad that you didn't accidentally remove the gas nozzle from the filler and splash Mr. Charming with it.

If that just pisses him off, it might be appropriate to remind him that only little match and he's toast (or maybe crispy critter).

Yasmine1950
09-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Definitely stop going to that gas station. You don't need this kind of hasle to live out your lifestyle.
If they continue to harass you outside of the gas station, make a police report and report to the
big corporation HQ.