PDA

View Full Version : finally looked in the woman's department

kinkyboots
09-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Finally had the courage to explore the womans clothes section at goodwill by myself yesterday. Other than some dirty looks by some elderly ladies (noted the younger women didn't seam to care) it was kinda fun. Didn't find anything in my size that i liked, but oh well.

Tracii G
09-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Good for you.
See its not that hard is it?

Stephanie47
09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Hello from the other side of the mountains. I had to chuckle about your observation of the age of women who seem to frown on men in the women's department. I've found that to be even true concerning sales women. And, also women in general. But, not all older women are turned off by men interested in women's clothing. During my wife's last trip from Seattle she sat next to a transgender women and had a lengthy discussion on sewing and making alterations. It did not bother her in the least.

As to Goodwill, our Goodwill's have finally started putting out Halloween costumes which always include evening gowns and prom dresses.

kinkyboots
09-12-2015, 10:51 AM
I was going to use Halloween as a cover story if anyone asked if i was lost, but no one said a word. I dug in the costumes a bit, all the items i likes were very much ment for a smaller frame.
a few days ago i might have loaded up a cart the urg was so bad to get new things; but it's died down quite a bit and i was able to keep a level head.
my wife let me do her makeup a couple times and seemed to help me focus a little better for some reason.

daviolin
09-12-2015, 11:29 AM
It just gets easier, so what if they laugh or look at you funny. Its there problem not yours. Enjoy the ride. Daviolin

Candice June Lee
09-12-2015, 01:33 PM
I too have noticed more elderly women looking at me funny or bad gestures. Other than that no one else seems to notice or care. Even today so far I've been out in fem jeans at the local festival and really no one cared. So it's not as bad as we make it out to be in our minds.

Kandi Robbins
09-12-2015, 01:36 PM
You will find that to be the case at all thrift stores. It is my belief we are a big part of their customer base. Don't be afraid to use those fitting rooms. I try on women's clothes there all the time in male mode. No one cares.

Jennie2
09-12-2015, 01:46 PM
I was in your position a few months ago and once you go to the first shop it just becomes easier with every shop, no one cares you may get a few looks and smiles, but it doesn't matter, I now have conversations with the sales staff, but well done for making the first step.

abby054
09-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I just wade in and go for it right alongside all of the other ladies. I don't even get odd looks if I appear confident, focused, and competent at picking out clothes and outfits. As we all know, that grows with experience.

BLUE ORCHID
09-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi KB, Just act like you owned the place and try not to make eye contact, That makes it easier.:daydreaming:

heatherdress
09-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Ignore the gawkers. Don't make eye contact. Enjoy what you are doing.

DeeNile
09-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Good for you! The first steps are always the hardest.

phylis anne
09-12-2015, 08:05 PM
yeah the thrift stores are interesting I have had a mix from the old ladies from that would not look good on you "dear" to the meanies and to to them i am tempted to say what you never seen someone in "avatarmode"? I look strange in a red bikini with a fishook stuck in my bum ? this purely lol meanies will be meanies no matter where we are most of them are just bitter people with nothing better to do .although one day at salvation army I did pick up a nice pair of plushy pink shorts---- and when i went to pay for them the young girl gave the strangest look to which I replied what? I think I will look hot in these :tongueout shop til ya drop.

Laurana
09-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Great!

I've had a few people look at me sideways at the thrift stores especially when I'm all dolled up. It doesn't even phase me anymore. I just smile as I hold a skirt or something to see how it looks.

MelanieAnne
09-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Other than some dirty looks by some elderly ladies

They do that to everyone. Even when I'm shopping in housewares. They seem to resent a man out alone and unsupervised.

TrishaTX
09-12-2015, 11:11 PM
I went to TJ max today bought a dress , skirt and top....and really am not worried anymore. People don't care ....

Slipstream
09-12-2015, 11:45 PM
I really can't remember too many comments or even "looks" from older ladies. I'm always happy to see an elderly lady as the SA in a thrift store. It's the ones in the 40-50 range that seem make the snide remarks. Almost as if they feel threatened. It always makes me wonder if there was a hubby or father in their own life that had been "caught". The worst abuse I ever took was from a 70ish male SA, but 98% of the time it's no problem at all.

Tracii G
09-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Forget the Halloween excuse nobody believes that lie LOL.

Alice_2014_B
09-13-2015, 12:47 AM
That is such an exciting feeling to me.
I think my wedding ring brings some closure.
:)

Sandra119
09-14-2015, 10:31 AM
The more you look at the women's section it will become easy you won't have any fears

Stephanie47
09-14-2015, 10:50 AM
They do that to everyone. Even when I'm shopping in housewares. They seem to resent a man out alone and unsupervised.

Hey, not all women are like that. I'm a retiree with a working wife. You would not believe the number of time older women have struck up a conversation with me in the grocery aisles. Nothing like a good grocery cart smashing to get someone's attention. They seem to think an unattached older male is in need of a mate. If I was unattached and available I wonder what the goals of a woman striking up a conversation in the lingerie department would lead to????

stacifox13
10-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Went to the goodwill today asked the male sales associate wear i could find women leotards. he answered pardon me and i said the same thing and he directed me to where they might be. I been going to the lady's dept the last week every day right to the lady's dept and always look still don't touch .I find that i always seam to get smiles from the women. maybe they know maybe they don't.

SuzanneS
10-19-2015, 08:41 PM
I hit up the Salvation Army every few months in Des Moines. In drab. I head straight for the womens sections and go through every bit of clothing like I'm looking for something specific....women everywhere around, not an odd look that I notice. The only odd looks that I have ever received was from the cashier. I carry a list with me, though....it helps.

Suzanne

StefaniLara
10-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I've yet to buy anything when I'm on my own, but I've started browsing a bit when something catches my eye. I've never noticed anyone caring enough to look at me, but that may change should I decide to buy something.

donnalee
10-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Had this happen early on in a thrift shop; the elderly lady at the cash register seemed confused by the skirts I bought and asked "For your lady?" I answered "Yes", just didn't explain that the lady was me.

AltairaMorbius
10-20-2015, 04:02 AM
I used to be so scared browsing the women's department but really don't give it a second thought these days. I actually enjoy the scorn of the old bitties and if the store has multiple checkout line choose the one with a bittie. Once at Kohl's however a saleswoman spent quite a bit of time with me picking out a silkie nylon night gown and found a different brand of panties that matched perfectly. Then she checked me out, perfect!

Cheers,
Amy

Marcelle
10-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Hi there and congrats. It takes courage to get in there and just be who you need to be . . . well done. I wouldn't sweat the rude looks . . . just remember those ladies come from a different generation so a man shopping in the women's section could seem odd to them.

Cheers

Marcelle

pamela7
10-20-2015, 06:35 AM
its good news, every step counts. I like being with a companion when out and about, because then they can give me specific feedback on looks from other people behind my back or when they think i'm not looking. For sure we get strange looks sometimes, but the lovely smiles from many ladies more than outweigh the dirty looks.

Krisi
10-20-2015, 07:20 AM
I once bought a denim skirt in a Goodwill store. The (female) clerk rang it up as men's shorts before she looked at the tag. Then she redid the transaction as a skirt. She didn't say anything but her look was not all that friendly.

People are different and they have different reactions. As long as the person doesn't know you personally, I don't think it matters.

Sometimes Steffi
10-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Up in Massachusetts, I was shopping at the Paula Young wig outlet store. I got some looks from older women, not actually dirty looks, but definitely disapproving looks, as I tried on wigs in male mode.

I almost told them to just deal with it. My money is as green as yours.

But the SAs there were was cool, so I just chilled and ignored the old ladies.

One of my wig ladies is older. It turns out her hubby is CD.

I've shopped in Talbot's, Dress Barn, Lane Bryant, Maurice's, Maidenform, Soma that only sell ladies clothes. I'm marked as soon as I walk in the door

I was in the Talbot's outlet dressed. I found something I liked, waited my turn in the line for the changing room, and was directed to one when I got to the front of the line. I was expecting a hard time, but it was fine.

Nolacdflorida
10-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Ladies, if you think its hard where you are you should try it down here on the Redneck Riviera where the men are tough and the women are tougher.

deebra
10-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Wear a sexy pair of bikini panties, this will make you feel more comfortable like you and the ladies all have something in common when trying on women's clothing. Wearing hose also increases the comfort level. Am I joking or serious ???

Seriously I wear both when shopping and trying on women's clothing, if someone looks under the stall door and see's hose then they can assume it's a woman or wait for the door to open and I.D. a CD. Seriously again, it's fun invading their space and really once you do it you'll find they are friendly, like conversation and love to be helpful.

MissBritney
10-23-2015, 12:18 PM
this week alone I also built up the courage to by female clothes, shoes and make up... but I had to pretend they were for my wife. I'm very new to this whole cd thing, I have always wanted to do it and now I finally did it, it helps that I'm far away from home for work. I watched a couple of videos on how to apply make up...and with practice I will get better, but overall I feel relieve to finally go all the way (well, all the way in my hotel room).

s.e.al
10-23-2015, 12:30 PM
amen to that

Ally 2112
10-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I used to speed shop not anymore i just focus on what i want and do not care who is looking .Just own it

Jackie7
10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Gosh this thread has me recalling my own early forays into the ladies wear at Value Village in Vancouver, adrenaline pumping, hit and miss fashions, yikes it was a ride. Well thirty years ago, double yikes.

Today my (2nd) wife and I went to the huge Salvation Army store nearby, I got a new skirt for my Halloween Janet Weiss outfit (Rocky Horror) and she got a complete Brad the dorky guy outfit, also Rocky Horror. Oh yeah I also got four more skirts and a couple of cute tops plus a ladies leather coat for Fall, and she got an armload of kitchen junk. Did we have fun trying on? You betcha. Did anybody give us a second glance? Not that I caught.

kellyanne
10-26-2015, 12:52 PM

... I asked a long time girlfriend about the cool reception that drab men get shopping for woman's clothes and her response was interesting:

She said many women will think it must be for a mistress of sorts because 99.99 % of hubbies don't buy their wive's undies, they leave that to her,
so she is immediately cold and suspicious of a mistress in the works, she thinks the man is cheating on his woman with some younger woman.

She sees a cad and a cheater and said many women would see the same.
Crossdressing doesn't enter her mind