PDA

View Full Version : That lipstick scent...?

Robyn2006
02-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Way back when I first discovered the wonders of jumping the gender fence at barely 14, trembling my mother's lipstick to my own lips in a sort of terrifying joy (so afraid was I), there was nothing more... I don't know, erotic? than the scent of her lipsticks. They always had such this incredible feminine aroma that simply brought me completely to my knees. And too, when I was out on my own in the 1970/1980's, most lipsticks I bought had that scent. Surely many of you remember that scent Yes?. But for some odd reason, lipsticks these days no longer have it, they now each seem to have another odor of their own, depending on the brand and type. As a bit of a lipstick junkie, I've have so many now... Revlon, of course, Mary kay, Avon, Maybelline, Remmel, L'oreal... but none really have that scent I remember. The only lipstick that I've found that comes close is Estee Lauder's All-Day Lipstick, but just barely... Is it possible that any of you wonderful girls out that know of a brand that sill has that incredible scent? Would love to find it!!!

xxxooo,
Robyn

Carlacd
02-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I too loved the smell of lipstick. And yes i have noticed the change as well. What i have found is that it seems to depend on the color. I have many different brands, some smell like the ones from the 60's and 70's.

Laurie Ann
02-11-2006, 08:26 AM
I believe that it is the whole experience of the smell, the feel, and being able to leave that oh so sexy lipstick mark on what your lips come into contact with.

Joanie
02-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Lipstick got me started as well, for some reason draw to my mother's, I think it was age 10 (so many here seem to have started in childhood, proving that it is very basic in our nature!) Anyway, I have tried Clinique, Lancome (what my wife wears) and like wearing Merle Norman, mainly because of the privacy their shops afford compared to sitting at, say the Lancome counter in a crowded dept. store. I have had two private makeovers within the past year at their stores. Unfortunately, I suffer from a deplorable sense of smell but I do remember sort of what you are talking about.

Just picked up my tube of Merle's Norman's Luxiva Red Over Heels that I am wearing opening it, it DOES have a very nice scent, captivating. Try it.

I enjoy the sensouus FEEl of lipstick. How does Estee Lauder stack up? I like it really moist. Wasn't too impressed with MAC's.

Lindahexi
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Way back when I first discovered the wonders of jumping the gender fence at barely 14, trembling my mother's lipstick to my own lips in a sort of terrifying joy (so afraid was I), there was nothing more... I don't know, erotic? than the scent of her lipsticks. They always had such this incredible feminine aroma that simply brought me completely to my knees. And too, when I was out on my own in the 1970/1980's, most lipsticks I bought had that scent. Surely many of you remember that scent Yes?. But for some odd reason, lipsticks these days no longer have it, they now each seem to have another odor of their own, depending on the brand and type. As a bit of a lipstick junkie, I've have so many now... Revlon, of course, Mary kay, Avon, Maybelline, Remmel, L'oreal... but none really have that scent I remember. The only lipstick that I've found that comes close is Estee Lauder's All-Day Lipstick, but just barely... Is it possible that any of you wonderful girls out that know of a brand that sill has that incredible scent? Would love to find it!!!

xxxooo,
Robyn

Oh yes I remember that alluring, sensual, erotic smell that I used to enjoy when applying lipstick, and I agree totally with you Robyn, it just isn't there on modern lipsticks. I have a feeling that in the 'old days' lipstick was made from whale blubber, and of course the cosmetic manufacturers had to turn to other sources for the production of lipstick. I don't think any present day ones are as nice as they used to be, they don't smell as good, and they don't even glide accross the lips in quite the same way. It may be that they just aren't perfumed the way they were for medical or hygiene reasons.

christine55
02-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Some of the green cased Revlon lipsticks have that same old flavor. That is the same that I remember from 35 years ago
Hugs, Christine

Lindahexi
02-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Some of the green cased Revlon lipsticks have that same old flavor. That is the same that I remember from 35 years ago
Hugs, Christine

Thank's Christine, I'll try some on Monday if I can get it locally.

Hugs,

Linda.

Joanie
02-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Hugs, Christine

I looked on the Revolon website but didn't see any pictured in a green case. Do you remember what specific name of the lipstick type is? Thanks!

paulaN
02-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I think but I'm not sure. it has somthing to do with the waleing industry. And the fact that thay don't use wale blubber in the lipstick anymore. but don't take my word for it. seems like I read it some where.

ReginaK
02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
I think but I'm not sure. it has somthing to do with the waleing industry. And the fact that thay don't use wale blubber in the lipstick anymore. but don't take my word for it. seems like I read it some where.

That or the beeswax. They may have taken beeswax out of most new lipsticks so they'll be hypo-allergenic. I know beeswax has a wonderful smell to it.

Go smell a beeswax candle or some of those fake wax lips they used to sell around Halloween. They have the same smell as old lipstick.

KatieZ
02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Back in those days our local dogcatcher would sell the unclaimed dogs to cosmetic companies. I think the smell is different now because it doesn't contain essence of dog.

Hugs

Robyn2006
02-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Hugs, Christine

Well, sadly... no. I just got 4 of these "Moon Drops Frost" Revlon lipsticks Here (http://www.drugstore.com/templates/stdplist/default.asp?catid=9577&cmbProdBrandFilter=5009&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=9577&trxp2=36100&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&brand=7796) at the Drugstore.com and Here (http://www.walgreens.com/store/pickcolor.jsp?CATID=100294&navAction=push&navCount=0&skuid=sku311606&id=prod11606) at Walgreens.com and they do have a hint of the scent I'm talking about, but nowhere near that nearly toxic aroma of those yesteryear days. Thanks for the try, Christine, but I'll have to keep looking and hoping!

I'm now off to try Regina's tip about the scent coming from beeswax. A google seach for "lipsticks with beeswax" pulled up a number of brands that sill have beeswax as one of it's ingredients, go Here (http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att290490--275663-,att290520--279301-,cat_id--95.html) to see some of the offerings I'm looking at. Through the miracle of UPS 2-3 day delivery, I'll have something to report back by next weekend!

:kiss: Thanks everyone for your help!

Robyn