PDA

View Full Version : Our Transition Probs: 1)society 2) others 3) we are going through a bad mood phase

Beth-Lock
09-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Other threads have considered, 1) how we are not supported in a kind way by society, even lacking basics like trans medical/health services and securing our personal safety, and 2) how other individuals treat us badly, at work, at home, and around town.

The one topic not thoroughly discussed, is, the third kind of problems, how the problems of our transition and our own psychological difficulties that are natural and unavoidable, make us hard for others to deal with, for example in how hypersensitive we can be, during at least a long part of our transition. The good news is that eventually, most seem to get over that phase, making their own peace with their transition and the end point we have reached, perhaps not being perfect, or resulting in a good looking, popular, and all round perfect woman, the way we imagine a woman can be in her prime -- but something that is okay anyway. .

I am not saying it is our fault. I am not saying we can stop being temperamental, and should never make an issue out of it when we are accidentally, (and hurtfully), misgendered, and so on. But if we understand what is going on, maybe we can relax a bit. As well, we can analyse how our hot buttons being in unexpected places where they are not found in most other people, cis folks, can complicate our adjustment, and all this must be taken into account. We are by our nature, as trans, likely going to be very sensitive for a while. If we understand that we may feel better, even if we cannot do anything about it.

But, where this becomes crucial, is in trans support groups. It may be the reason those groups may never grow to a size where we shall need to be taken seriously by those in power, as pressure groups, and as the conscience of the larger community on trans matters.

I have noticed how some trans, after a good length of time after GCS/SRS, settle down and become comfortable with who they are, of maintaining some pastimes from their male life, of their contradictory nature in being ex-men, and dressing in a party dress for a special party, but more casually most of the rest of the time. They seem to find some peace from the demons that assault us, and these have assaulted us, just in the middle of the time when we have most hope, in the early part of our transition. We must not jump to the conclusion that because we find these things, the misgendering, the long looks that seem hostile, intolerable to bear, early in our transition,but we will later take them more philosophically.

When others treat them poorly in public or when other trans might feel self-conscious, they just say, "That is me. That is just the way I am." And they imply that it is the natural expression of the state we have reached, after transition, and they are not going to try and change because it is just, okay right now, and forever, if need be, without our changing much.

Footnote: GCS = Gender Confirmation Surgery

Eryn
09-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Transition is both internal and external. The external part is pretty straightforward. Visit the professionals, they do their thing.

The internal part is the tricky one. It may sound silly, but giving ourselves permission to be the person we want to be is sometimes very difficult. We've been thoroughly conditioned to fit into a role determined by our birth gender and breaking free of that conditioning is very difficult.

I have noticed how some trans, after a good length of time after GCS/SRS, settle down and become comfortable with who they are, of maintaining some pastimes from their male life, of their contradictory nature in being ex-men, and dressing in a party dress for a special party, but more casually most of the rest of the time. They seem to find some peace from the demons that assault us, and these have assaulted us, just in the middle of the time when we have most hope, in the early part of our transition. We must not jump to the conclusion that because we find these things, the misgendering, the long looks that seem hostile, intolerable to bear, early in our transition,but we will later take them more philosophically.

When others treat them poorly in public or when other trans might feel self-conscious, they just say, "That is me. That is just the way I am." And they imply that it is the natural expression of the state we have reached, after transition, and they are not going to try and change because it is just, okay right now, and forever, if need be, without our changing much.

Despite the fact that I'm just beginning this journey. I could take what you said with a few alterations and it would apply to me. I have "settled down" and feel a lot more comfortable with myself than I used to. I'm much less worried about what other people might be thinking of me. Misgendering doesn't hurt like it used to. I can't change everyone I encounter to match my needs, so why should I worry about them? I'll never be perfect, but so what? I will be a person who is much better than what I was and that is sufficient.

STACY B
09-16-2015, 05:41 AM
I think it is all in what your used to before,, Were you Looked at for something else before? Like were you Loud,, Funny,, Ugly,, Fat,, Obnoxous , Drunk,,

Or were you a Quiet , Shy , Somehow sheltered , Withdrawn , Under the Radar , Small circle person with few friends?

If you were kinda used to people already looking at you for some other reason Pre Transition just look at it as there looking at you for the same reason like I do and just go with it,, Most folk think EVERYONE'S looking at them for dressing or presenting female, Maybe that is True? First take a look at your Presentation?
You need to dress for your age that you most look like and for the whether and for your surroundings , Like normal people do.
Not to get into how people or what exactly everyone is supposed to wear, I am not Stacy and Clinton, You must find your style.

JUST SAYING,,,lol,,,,,