PDA

View Full Version : Beard Cover

CutieJulie
02-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Do they sell this stuff in the stores? And if so, where? I want to get some but don't want to order online and have to wait for it to come in. Where can I get this stuff and any sugestions on what kind to get? :)

Thanks So Much
-Julie

MsJanessa
02-11-2006, 04:34 PM
you usually can get it in a Theatrical Supply Store---also so-called "clown white'' foundation makeup does the same thing.

_Janelle_
02-11-2006, 04:39 PM
also try dermablend -it's amazing what that stuff can cover! I just bought some in Macy's the other day - I had the girl behind the counter match to the skin on the back of my hand - wasn't quite up to her putting it on my face! She thought it was for my wife/SO, but since I never mentioned a wife or SO, she probably twigged who it really was for. Do a close shave, moisturizer, and then the dermablend. There is a setting powder for it as well, to keep it looking good all day.

http://www.dermablend.com/index.aspx

DanaJ
02-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Colortration (http://www.colortration.com) I have covered this product (or it has covered me :D) in the Beauty Club, with extreme closeup pix showing how weel it works.... if you order online, you will get it within 3 or 4 days.

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-12-2006, 01:22 AM
A lot depends on how dark your beard shadow is. In general, it's best to go as light as you can get away with. Dermablend will cover up almost anything, but it's heavy and pretty obvious that you're wearing it. Theaterical make-up is even more obvious -- it's intended to be viewed from a distance.

I liked ColorTration but unfortunately, it didn't match my skin-tone well. I ended up going with Perscriptives, which is known for it's wide range of colors. I realize you don't want to wait but it's also worth looking at Illuminare (http://www.illuminarecosmetics.com/), which you can buy online. (You can order a sampler kit for about $15 to figure out which one works best for you.)

In general, you probably want to look for a foundation that's listed as a medium to full coverage. (Foundations that are listed as "sheer" are lighter.) You can also use a matching concealing and blend the two to get something a little heavier -- or use the concealer where needed and go sheerer elsewhere.

You can find foundation and concealer at both drug stores and department stores. The differences aren't necessarily huge between the two (the same handful of companies make most of the brands sold in both kinds of stores). The main advantage with going to a department stores is you can try it out and get help on matching the right shade for you. At drug stores you have to guess based on looking at the package, although many drug stores do let you return/exchange cosmetics precisely because of this issue.

It also helps to rub a thin layer of red lipstick on your beard areas, which counteracts the blue of the beard shadow. (Be sure to use a lipstick without blue in it. Red to orangish-red works best.) It will look funny, but should be fine after you put the foundation on.

JuliaCD
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I use theatrical makeup, but very sparingly. Works for me, but I don't have a heavy beard.

First, of course shave really well. Then, after my face quits bleeding:rolleyes: I apply a light coat of Ben Nye creme foundation just over my beard areas. Then I use Cover Girl liquid foundation over that. When everything is done I seal it with Ben Nye translucent powder. Looks good for about 8 hours...longer than that and I have to do it all over again! The theatrical stuff covers up what I need, but you'd never want to do your whole face with it! Ever see an actor up close...'nuff said!

Theatrical make up is inexpensive, a little goes a long way, and is available at theatre shops and costume stores. I've been doing this for years with good results. YMMV.

CutieJulie
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
It also helps to rub a thin layer of red lipstick on your beard areas, which counteracts the blue of the beard shadow. (Be sure to use a lipstick without blue in it. Red to orangish-red works best.) It will look funny, but should be fine after you put the foundation on.

Ok at first i was skeptical of this but i tried it and WOW! just this alone makes a huge difference thanks! also,, didn't buy any cover yet :) unexpected bills :P