PDA

View Full Version : Have you adapted?

Kate Simmons
09-25-2015, 02:33 PM
This is mostly for older gals who have been dressing most of their lives like myself. Do you find yourself adapting to newer clothing trends for women as time goes on? I started in the mid sixties and clothing styles have changed over the years. Even so I think I dress pretty "modern" these days even if my favorite kinds of outfits are long skirts and dresses that flow when I walk and dance. It's mostly in the gait anyway and presentation. Do you "date" yourself by what you wear or are you pretty flexible? :)

Alice Torn
09-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Kate, i lean on a bit older, styles, or those that seem to be around somewhat for the last 50 years, like sleeveless sheath and shift dresses, hose and heels, but knee length or longer, if i occasionally go out.

Ceera
09-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Yep. I try to keep my wardrobe fashionable. While I haven't been CD'ing long enough yet for anything I have purchased to 'go out of style', I do keep current fashion trends in mind when purchasing new things.

reb.femme
09-25-2015, 03:05 PM
In all honesty Kate, I've only been dressing fully for a few years, so historically I'm a [-]Johnny[/-] Rebecca come lately.

I don't want to derail this post and go down old routes, but my main thing is not to look too young (dressing appropriately). I don't want to dress in teenage fashion, as I think I would look silly, but I'm not prepared to look like your maiden aunt either with my ruffle neck blouse and a broach on my throat area :heehee:. Apologies to those that like this look. So with little experience, I would give a hesitant yes, I do/will change with fashion, as I do in male mode, so can't see a reason not to when femme.

I'm not a skirt up round my neck girl unless...no, keep it clean :devil:. I've got short skirts and dresses but like a little bit of decorum in my dressing. After all, I am British :battingeyelashes:. Well English actually,but that's another story again.

Rebecca

Katey888
09-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Kate - I have only ever "dated" myself and in doing so I try to be both pretty and flexible... :) :p

Katey x

Nikki A.
09-25-2015, 06:05 PM
I prefer the classic looks that really don't go out of style. Wrap dresses I think do look good on me. However this summer I did experiment with a maxi dresses similar to this and I loved the feel and how feminine it felt. 251069

TrishaTX
09-25-2015, 07:13 PM
I believe I dress a bit risky under it all and I like that feel, especially Nylon/Satin...but over it I am very conservative....which is similar to my regular life:)

Pat
09-25-2015, 11:37 PM
I stay reasonably current but the things I'm attracted to are based on the aesthetic I imprinted on back in the 1960's. So I wear modern leggings, for example, but I'm more attracted to a pair of leggings with a side zipper than I am to simple pull-ons. Jeans are stylish now but when I'm shopping for jeans, I prefer hip-huggers with a little flare in the leg. So I think I'm modern but within that modernity I choose based on the aesthetic I learned as a preteen.

Michaelasfun
09-26-2015, 01:04 AM
I try to watch the retailer sites for what's trendy and follow their lead when shopping. As an aside, my friend at work (female) was wearing this great long crochet sweater, and I remarked to her that it was very stylish, she said she borrowed it from her daughter's closet lol

Dana44
09-26-2015, 01:35 AM
I do try to stay with the new styles, but some of the new dresses are very short. So, I look for ones that will fit me fine.

Teresa
09-26-2015, 02:45 AM
Kate,
I find we're lucky to have the choice, going from drab to whatever we want to be . I personally don't like hem lines below the knee, and choose to go natural no tucking and no padding apart from the boobs , so my choice of clothes is dictated by those guide lines.
Wearing a mini skirt and high heels is still too sexy to totally ignore, after all what harm are we doing, we just need a sense of humour sometimes ! Would I date that girl ? You bet !

pamela7
09-26-2015, 03:28 AM
in my 54 years of drab I never got into fashion, if sometimes the only choice of jean was a certain cut then it was as it was. I liked bright colours and contrasts always. So, in only 9 months of drag, I've got my lovely bright colours and far more choice, but fashion? No. I choose what I like and will be wearing it in 10 years time if its comfy and if I feel it's expressing me. I noticed I might have to wait years to get the colours/styles of drab that were me, so I'll do the same with drag - when it's "me" I'll buy big, and otherwise my SO is a dab hand at sewing!

docrobbysherry
09-26-2015, 04:10 AM
I'm clueless about womens fashions. But, I'm a guy. And I like women who r attractive to me. From naked to Victorian era.

When I see a look that excites me, I want Sherry to immitate it. I rarely care what others think. I dress for me!

Which is one reason I dislike going out so much. Having to dress for others and that hrribly "blending", nonsense!

CarlaWestin
09-26-2015, 04:44 AM
Well, I like to look at fashion trends but, like Sherry, it's more about the sensation value. Don't get me wrong. I think high fashion elegance is sensational when I get it right.

But, my sexy maid outfit never goes out of style!

BLUE ORCHID
09-26-2015, 05:32 AM
Hi Kate, I'm 4yrs. older than you and I also started to get serious about buying clothes in the mid 60s':hugs:
I like to mix it up with the classic & the current fashions, Having three closets full
I have a lot of choices to mix and match. :daydreaming:

I too like Sherry said, When I see a rather attractive lady I like to dissect the look and make mental notes
for my next dressing session to try and duplicate that look as best as possible.:)

Karen RHT
09-26-2015, 07:51 AM
"Do you "date" yourself by what you wear or are you pretty flexible?"

I'm pretty flexible. Mini to maxi, and everywhere in between. As long as it looks "classy" I'm willing to give it a try. Of course my roots do go back to the 50's, so skirts and dresses with petticoats still intrigue me.

Where I buck today's trends, is that outside of owning one pair of jeans, (an experiment) I'm simply not interested in wearing any form of dress pant, or slacks.

Karen

NicoleScott
09-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Ha! This is where we closeteers (thanks Katey) have it better than the out and about blenders. We have no rules other than pleasing ourselves. Your desire to go out in public places restrictions on you. Blend or else - or else you don't.

Jennifer in CO
09-26-2015, 08:14 AM
...you mean we can follow fashion? :eek:

When I was "on the other side" for five years yeah I was as trendy as any other girl. Matter of fact, my wife and I used to make it s game to see which one of us could spot the next trend (this was early to mid 80's) and be on it. Since then, not so much. When I went back to a more fem wardrobe from drab in the early to mid 90's the whole tact was to do it while presenting as a guy so "fashion" was out and practical/plain was in. So today, "fashion" consists of whats current in black, dark blue or khaki slacks, jeans, pull over blouses and tops. For "lounge wear" I do have a halter top maxi-dress in a vibrant yellow (with big orange sunflowers on it), a couple of skirts and blouses that shouldn't (but have under a coat) seen the light of day and one pretty "business formal" dress that I haven't fit in for years but just can't get rid of.

SherriePall
09-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Kate -- Would an answer of half and half satisfy the question? I don't really try to keep up, but do like (and buy) some of the latest fashions in tops, skirts, and dresses. I am not really into leggings or some of the other trends (due to physical constraints from wear and tear on my legs). And I do really do go through the latest catalogs that come to the house.

donnalee
09-27-2015, 07:30 AM
I have found it more satisfying to dress with good taste and color coordination than paying attention to trends. Prefer longer skirts unless it's warm, then the hems go up considerably; love seeing girls in sundresses and look forward to that every year and have good enough legs to pull it off as it's still pretty warm around here. Like natural fabrics and subtle colors.

Tina B.
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
At the ripe old age of 71, I still like to follow the fashions of the day, the hot colors, and the latest styles. I do take age into consideration, but I'm just not the pants suit type. and at my age, size, and condition, I'll pass on the mini skirts, but the rest is all fair game.
I do try to stay with in things that are not so much of a fad that they are out of style before I get that much use out of them, and after all I'm looking to convince anyone I'm a girl, not at my age, but I do like looking like a fashionable older woman, if Jane Fonda can do it at her age, why not me.

Brandy Mathews
09-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Nikki,
I agree with you on the dress. That one in the picture is very pretty, and comfortable too. Have a few like that too. Love Maxi dresses.
Hugs,
Bree :)

Cheryl T
09-29-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't follow fashion close enough to know what's "in this season".
I just buy what I find attractive and what I feel looks good on my body.

Ally 2112
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
I usually buy what i like as long as the hemline is just above the knee

Jilmac
10-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Back in he day, I would wear my sisters' poodle skirts and petticoats along with their bullet bras and tight panty girdles. As I aged (and continued dressing, mostly in the closet), I would wear the clothes appropriate to the times for a person my age. So I would say I have adapted to the changes in trends and dress accordingly.

sometimes_miss
10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
I wear stuff that's supposedly inappropriate for my age anyway. Girls school uniform attire hasn't changed all that much, mostly only length of skirt, type of top, tie, etc.. Cheerleader uniforms are different today than from 40 years ago too, but not all that much.

Raychel
10-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Not sure I have adapted to current fashions or not, Sure I do like some of them.
But since I never go out of the house, I just wear what I like.

Cheryl_Layton
10-02-2015, 06:46 AM
I like to think that I’ve developed a certain conservative style that has been fashioned by my 1960s/70s upbringing and is commensurate with my age. If dressing to go out, I want to appear to be a woman who doesn’t draw attention to herself but is seen as someone who knows what suits her. I think the little touches like wearing a brooch helps in this respect.

That doesn’t mean that I can’t let my hair down and (in the privacy of my bedroom) dress like someone much younger than myself. Not only do I find it thrilling but I can see how young, attractive, sexy women must feel empowered with the image they create.

I think a CDer’s dream must be to let loose in a department store trying on every style there is. I’m sure we’d find something that would suit us really well that perhaps we would never have previously considered in a million years.

Fwiw, if I had the female anatomy, I’d love to be able to wear women’s trousers which emphasise their hips/butt (and flat front) – sigh!