PDA

View Full Version : Dressing for a drag themed party?

Sweetalex
09-30-2015, 12:44 PM
So my BFF is having her birthday next week and the theme is drag. She is the one of the only people that know about me and has already offered to help with my make up :D. It will be a house party and it will be mostly my closest friends there so im not too worried.

But the question is how far should I take this, if I turned up as my normal girlie self I think it might give the game away but where do I draw the line? I was thinking I should get a cheap wig instead of my normal one but I do kind of want to wear my normal one. Also should I buy a cheap LBD rather than one of my dress's? I want to feel like me but not let people know too much.

I normally put a lot of effort into fancy dress so going as a decent looking girl shouldnt be too much of a problem.

AHHHH Any advice? :surrender

Tracii G
09-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Why marginalize yourself by not looking your very best?
To do otherwise is only going to mock Cding in general IMO.
Your friends will think you are pocking fun at transgender people which won't help your cause down the road if you decide to "come out".

You asked for opinions so thats my take on it.

Rachael Leigh
09-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Thats a tough one for sure, I understand not wanting to give away to much but if it were me I would want to present as well as I could, you can always say you BFF helped and they might think thats why you look so nice. Anyway have fun

Bobbi46
09-30-2015, 01:03 PM
DO NOT GO! you are going to ridicule the whole ethos of what we all love doing, just think what those other party goers will look like, thoroughly ridiculous and some of them with over the top giant boobs that not even mother nature could have dreamed of giving to the girls. My advice is give it a wide birth or get the host/ess to change the theme. I feel very strongly about this.

Sweetalex
09-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I know what you are saying but im worried that if I turn up with an expensive wig, breastforms etc people might come too near knowing the truth. It is not my intention to poke fun as CD or TG people and would be very upset if people thought that was the case. I know the other guys will turn up in poorly fitting dress's and trainers (my friends are rubbish :p ) so I know I will stand out but I dont want to stand out too much.

Tracii G
09-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Honestly I doubt 90% of the guys will actually dress in drag and those that do will be over the top like Bobbi suggests.
If you do pass as well as you say you do then you might just be the hit of the party because you got it right.
Give all the credit to your GF of course.

pamela7
09-30-2015, 01:10 PM
own it, be it, and come out, why not? i'm sure its the subconscious reason for the party
xxx

Sweetalex
09-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Honestly I doubt 90% of the guys will actually dress in drag and those that do will be over the top like Bobbi suggests.

I think you are right but our friend group is about 80% girls so the guys are not too important.

debstar
09-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Most of the guys I'm sure will do david bowie ziggy, or rocky horror. It sounds like a lot of fun and I would not agree bobbie46 that you are personaly responsible for promoting the TG CD community.. what a heavy burden! Go dress to the nines and OWN it.

Amy Lynn3
09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
If I were able to dress well enough to pass as a real gg, then I would. If someone says something about how well you look, just say I had help and it was not free. If even you look well enough to pass I would not do the normal walk or talk like a woman. Go ahead and look good as a woman, but do no emulate one with actions, so people will just think you hired a great make over artist, but allow your actions to not scream I know my way around, while wearing these cloths.:2c:

Sweetalex
09-30-2015, 01:19 PM
DO NOT GO! you are going to ridicule the whole ethos of what we all love doing, just think what those other party goers will look like, thoroughly ridiculous and some of them with over the top giant boobs that not even mother nature could have dreamed of giving to the girls. My advice is give it a wide birth or get the host/ess to change the theme. I feel very strongly about this.

The point is really not to ridicule crossdressing or transgenderism. I would like to think of drag as separate to both of those. My friend is VERY pro LGBT+ and within our group we have all sorts of people (inc myself but no body actually knows). The point of the party is really just an excuse for the girls to have BIG make up and BIG hair, no ridicule intended.

Sallee
09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Maybe just go as yourself but get a little garish with the makeup and go for those super high heels. It will keep all the unknowings guessing

Dana44
09-30-2015, 01:34 PM
I would go as best looking that you can. Use your own wig and don't buy a cheap one. Do not try to be a drag queen. Go as your girl self and have fun.

Tracii G
09-30-2015, 01:36 PM
So let me get this right the GG's are going for big make up and big hair then they are trying to look like drag queens?
How is that drag for them? Drag for them would be dressing as men would it not?

Cheryl T
09-30-2015, 01:49 PM
My first time out in public was at a friend's Halloween party.
I went all out, wife did my makeup, fully shaved and smooth. It was great! When I entered I heard my close friend who was the host say, "who is that broad?", then "that's not a broad, it's a guy. Who is that guy?"
I was silently laughing. When they finally realized who it was they couldn't believe it. All the girls kept me busy all night with questions about my makeup, what kind of stockings was I wearing, what did I use for breasts, etc. It was a fabulous night!

I would say, go all out and be yourself. Most will think you just went for it costume wise and the others that wonder...well let them wonder.

JoanAz
09-30-2015, 01:53 PM
How old are you & the group in general,, If you get "tagged" as cd will it really make a difference?
I am 76 and my neighbors and lots of friends know of Joan..
Enjoy what you can when you can
(((HUGGS )))

Tracii G
09-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Like Cheryl T says let them wonder.
After all its a drag party and you went in drag.
The only one making a big deal about what others think is you.

reb.femme
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Seriously, your best approach is to bag me an invite and I'll take all the flak first. There'll be no denying my gender presentation :). Then you can reveal yourself in all of your glory. When there's a party to be had, I'm completely selfless...not!

So let me get this right the GG's are going for big make up and big hair then they are trying to look like drag queens?
How is that drag for them? Drag for them would be dressing as men would it not?

Erm,...er...yeah, exactly that I think. If you go dressed, at least you'll be out and no messing. I understand the point of not wanting to ridicule Trans peeps and all that, but anything better than a parody character is going to out you quicker than a club doorman...or is that person? :devil:

I'm afraid it's either Bob mode or all out Alex...sorry! :sad:

Rebecca

debstar
09-30-2015, 02:37 PM
GG's could go as drag kings... who knows.

heatherdress
09-30-2015, 03:18 PM
By all means go. Options could be:

- Don't dress - safe and quite boring
- Dress silly or comical - safe and disappointing
- Dress normal girly self - risk may initiate suspicions - offers excitement, fun and anxiety
- Dress "over the top" - be a drag queen yourself - drag queen makeup and hair - may be safe if extreme and fun to do

By all means, go and dress as you would feel most comfortable, and enjoy yourself.

AngelaYVR
09-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Drag is supposed to be over the top. OTT make up, OTT clothes. Sounds like a hoot, what's with all the belly aching from everyone?
If it were me, I'd get done up as well as possible and give credit to my friend.

JaytoJillian
09-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Be all that you can be!

Erica Marie
09-30-2015, 05:26 PM
As mentioned before "drag" is usually flamboyant. Have fun, over do the eye shadow, make your hair into an 80's style and pack on the boobs. You dont have to look comical, but have fun with it.

Jenniferathome
09-30-2015, 08:32 PM
"Drag" is over the top. If that is the theme, then so be it. If you attend and look "normal" you will be suspected of being a closet cross dresser. Do you care?

Nyla F
09-30-2015, 11:05 PM
If you dress over the top, then you are following the theme and you will fit in, you can then act flamboyant and it will be obvious it is an act and nobody should assume you are a regular crossdresser. Have fun with it!

Sweetalex
10-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!!!
I think you have given me the confidence to just go for it! I've heard that some of the guys are going to quite a lot of effort, I'll be upset if I get upstaged now so I have to go all in!

I want to get a wig that's a bit more out there but there is so much to choose from I'm struggling I'm sure I'll find something though.

Judith96a
10-01-2015, 11:45 AM
When in Rome...
The theme of the party is Drag! So... Go with the theme and enjoy yourself. Go for the biggest hai you can muster, and the most flamboyant makeup, and more sequins per square inch than all of the GGs put together!

Krisi
10-02-2015, 09:16 AM
This is the same question that comes up every year at Halloween.

You are a crossdresser, and experienced crossdresser with breast forms, a decent wig, shoes and clothes that fit you well, jewelry, etc. and you've probably put some effort into how to look and act like a woman. This sets you apart from the average guy who may have only dressed in women's clothes once or twice in his life. The rest of the guys will be wearing rolled up socks for breasts, their clothes won't fit right, their wigs will be $10 costume wigs and if they even wear heels, they won't fit and they won't know how to walk in them.

If you walk I presenting as I assume you know how to present, many folks will know that this is far from the first time you have dressed as a woman. Some may even ask you.

The question is personal - Do you care? You may care or you may not care. Me, I couldn't have fun at a party like this because I couldn't really do my best, I would have to use the socks, buy a crappy wig, etc. and that wouldn't be fun.

Give it 100% if you want, but understand that you are outing yourself.

Clodagh
10-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Just do an over the top version of your normal look. Truth be told, most guys won't know the difference between a cheap dress/wig/etc. and an expensive one. You can still look good and convincing if a bit trashy - no problem. Imagine how you would feel if one of the other guys upstaged you!