PDA

View Full Version : Why the need to try on?

emmicd
02-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I know the size I wear and it fits well. So why is it now that I have this need to discuss with a sales woman my wishing to try on a dress in the store to assure it fits well.

I already know it will fit.

I even asked via e-mail to some womens clothing stores if they allow guys to try on dresses or girls pants.

They were very friendly with their responses and the responses are all the same.

Yes they would accomodate a guy and would be happy to. They only suggest that you make an appointment ahead of time and generally during off peak times.

I still don't feel I could do it.

Too embarrased!

emmi

Butterfly Bill
02-11-2006, 11:51 PM
After first checking it out with a tape measure, I always take an article, drab or drag, over to the men's side and try it on there. They want you to feel secure enough about it that you will spend money, which is what their establishment is all about getting.

carson
02-12-2006, 12:04 AM
I know the size I wear and it fits well. So why is it now that I have this need to discuss with a sales woman my wishing to try on a dress in the store to assure it fits well.

I already know it will fit.

I even asked via e-mail to some womens clothing stores if they allow guys to try on dresses or girls pants.

They were very friendly with their responses and the responses are all the same.

Yes they would accomodate a guy and would be happy to. They only suggest that you make an appointment ahead of time and generally during off peak times.

I still don't feel I could do it.

Too embarrased!

emmi

Hey Emmi,

I'd like to know what stores you contacted that are sympathetic to CD'ers!

emmicd
02-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Carson,

In answer to your question, the stores very willing to help a guy find the right outfit that I contacted are:

Ann Taylor Loft/Ann Taylor stores
Dressbarn
Estelles Dressy Dresses
Victorias Secret
Lerner

I'm sure most stores will cater to the crossdresser. You just have to notify them for appointment and try to go at a slower time.

I still would be very shy despite the overwhelming positive reaction from the responses received.

Good Luck!

emmi

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Well since you've said it's not really an issue of assuring a proper fit, my guess would be that you want to interact with someone.

Actually you don't need to ask permission to shop there or go at a slower time. You money is just as good as anyone else's and any smart store realizes this. Greed is a great motivator for tolerance. I've shopped en femme and never had a problem (although I have heard of others who have). If a sales clerk gives you attitude, ask for the store manager. Usually that the manager will set them straight on the spot, but if the manager also gives you attitude then just let them know you'll be shopping elsewhere -- and letting others know about the poor reception you received. There's a plenty of other places that are happy for our business.

As far as dressing rooms, just ask a sales clerk to start a room for you. If there's any logistical problems they'll let you know, but so far it's never been an issue for me.

Note: there are a few exceptions when going at a special time might be in order. For example, there's a famous bra shop in NYC that's off-limits to men (regardless of what they're wearing) because the customers are often in a state of undress while trying on different bras.

Holly
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
From a purely pragmatic perspective, women's clothing sizes vary from manfacturer to manfacturer and even from style to style within the same amnufaturer. Trying on a garment before you buy it, assures you that the item will fit properly before you leave the store, saving you a return trip to exchange it... unless you want to go back...;)