PDA

View Full Version : Can I get this excuse gift wrapped?

~Joanne~
10-04-2015, 03:12 PM
You know, I have never given it much thought until now but I am pretty sure, at some point, especially when we first started buying our own things, we all had an "excuse" as to why we were buying something from the female section of whatever store we were in. A shopping list, a note of some sort, the "it's for my GF/wife and she wears a size ___" all the way down to the almighty, Do you have a gift box?

Just as I feel we have kept the pantyhose industry alive, I am wondering if we haven't kept the "gift Box" people going also? I know it's more common around the holidays to be able to get things in a gift box but most places do it year round if requested don't they?

So what excuse have you used in the past? How did you feel about using the excuse? Any negative reactions after presenting the excuse to whomever? Where are You TODAY with excuses?

In the past, when I first started buying for myself, I used the shopping list, buying something as simple as a pair of pantyhose was always expensive because it usually contained about 5 other items of 'whatever" whether I needed them or not. Never really used the GF/Wife excuse but If I saw an AD in a catalog or newspaper for something I wanted, I would clip it and handle it to an SA to help me find it though the guessing the size was usually wrong.

A few years or so later and it was the rack "fly bys", forget the notes, You know, where you saw something you wanted and would just grab the front one and throw it in the cart, without stopping, size be damned and more money wasted.

For the last 4-5 years though, I am at the "I don't care who sees me" place. Now I shop. I will look through the racks, shelves, or the hosiery section and not care about it, who sees me there, or what they think. If I need some pantyhose, and nothing more, that is the only thing taken to the cashier. While I will admit that I will use the "U scan" more times than not, if there is a line with no one in it, I'll go there also if faster.

On another note, My SO is accepting and we do shop a lot together now, She tends to make a lot more excuses than i think I ever did and we are working on that because I tell her what I should have been telling myself all these years before..."It's none of their business who anything is for". I will admit though, shopping with her is more fun and a lot easier :D

Joanne

Allisa
10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
My all time fave was "I lost a bet and now have to dress up as a girl, from head to toe" can you help me? It not only worked but I got my total outfit at one time and it fit. Used all the other standard ones too. Don't need to use them now just try on and buy what I want, no shame in my game any more, I own it now. I even go out of my way to find a SA for assistance every once in a while with head held high and a big smile.

sara.rafaela
10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
I did similar things when I started. I would go to Target and pick out a half dozen other manly or child related things then go to a line where the cashier was a younger lady. In other stores I would walk through the aisles quickly, and make a few passes before I could see the items I wanted, then quickly go to a non busy checkout counter. I found another trick in that I would make a phone call as I was browsing. The call would occupy me and I would forget the small fears. I began to thaw when I was at Ann Taylor a sales person saw me and asked me if she could clear a dressing room for me. I was in a hurry and could not take her up on her offer, but I wanted to go back. These days I have come to ease with it. I usually do not go shopping dressed. I love dressing, but I dress for night life, and do not find the outfits and contoured makeup the most comfortable for a shopping trip. My recent shopping was at MAC and Victoria's Secret for a bra. I just simply find the quickest sales person, tell them what I am there for, and that it is for me. You would not believe how simple it is.

Donnagirl
10-04-2015, 04:09 PM
It's quite surprising how things change once you get that confidence... In July last year I posted how, after 12 days staying in a hotel with only boy clothes, I was to scared to shop. I had travelled into the city with the best intentions but was unable to even browse the racks...
Fast forward a year and, well no more wrong sizes ordered of the Internet... I've bought new heels whilst dressed in my business suit, bought so much from several shop, I have SA's reserving things for me. But, by far the best is to frock up and spent a lazy Saturday trying on anything and everything... Confidence is the key... Once you get over the initial fear, no excuses are necessary... Loved this frock so much I bought it...

daphne_L
10-04-2015, 04:18 PM
In the last month I've gone from not shopping, through the "list excuse" and the "fly bys" to just this Friday I first admitted to an SA that it was for me.

Daphne

Samantha2015
10-04-2015, 04:33 PM
If there were no mail-order(early days) or online shopping now, I don't think I'd be
here now. There would just be a frustrated Samantha wannabe stuck in dude mode.
I just have a unbelievably hard time trying to buy female stuff in person excuses or not.
I know it's all in my head but I can't seem to get past it. Thanks for the excuse list maybe
I can put it to use some day.
:)

Paula J
10-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Oh yes... The excuses... I've only been doing this for a few months. When I first started, I always had a bunch of excuses in my mind and ready to be quick-drawn at a moment's notice. But actually, the first few times I never had to use any. It's probably because I would just go to Walmart, and when I was getting the groceries or whatever, I would pick up a few things. But there have been a few times, where I didn't just volunteer an excuse, but I was forced to use one by over-inquisitive SAs. Now, my wife goes with me quite often, but this poses a whole new problem, because she is very obviously a lot smaller than me. And she is very over-zealous about volunteering all kinds of excuses to SAs and cashiers. So.... I don't know. I actually always thought it would be great to go shopping with my wife, but honestly.... not so much. Anyways, I've never come right out and told someone I was shopping for myself, but I certainly don't offer any kind of excuses if I don't have to.

pamela7
10-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Most shop assistants can read excuses in microseconds, so just don't go there, own it. Buying a very large size of sexy panties has no obvious excuse anyway.
When i feel the urge of an excuse i think its to save the world-view of whoever is there, but i dont speak it, i just think it, then move on, such as "i'm going to a party ...".

Erica Marie
10-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Honest, I dont think I ever really used an excuse. When I started shopping, I was a "fly-by" shopper, yeah alot of money wasted doing that. Now I just go, typically I will not shop locally, but I head to safe places, browse like Im not some kind of creeper. Find what I like, try it on for size and to see if I like it and then go pay. Heck, I even use discount coupons any time I can. I never had a SA question me, but I have had a few comment on how cute the items where. So either they were just being polite or I did a good job shopping, either way it is a good feeling.

Kandi Robbins
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Where are You TODAY with excuses? I never used excuses in the past, just kept my mouth shut and made my purchase.

Now? I have zero problem letting any one interested know it's for me. One of my favorite scenarios is when I'm looking for something and the SA asks "what is her size?" I usually respond "not sure what her size is, but I'm a 10". That one usually loosens them up and we have fun after that.

Alice_2014_B
10-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I just let my wedding ring say it all, for the most part.
Other than that, I don't say anything.
However, I'll usually start asking questions about future sales and such like in order to shift thoughts.
I wonder what my wife said, if anything, when she bought me 10 dresses from Goodwill; I wear way smaller sizes than her.
:)

prettytoes
10-04-2015, 06:39 PM
I managed to amass quite the collection of greeting cards. I would always buy a card (birthday, anniversary. etc.) when buying anything from the women's section, and then ask for a gift receipt. I would also carry a piece of paper (shopping list with sizes) and look at it as I was browsing the racks looking for "her" size.
Now I just buy what I want, when I want, and how I want. I did manage to finally use up all those greeting cards!

Robin414
10-04-2015, 07:38 PM
My all time fave was "I lost a bet and now have to dress up as a girl, from head to toe" can you help me?

I think I've used most of these myself but 'lost a bet', now that's awesome, I might even give that a try for giggles ��

Candice June Lee
10-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Depending on the store, i am in a dont care mode. Due to voice concerns, i try not to talk when dressed. As i evolve and progress, i am getting to the i dont care state more. Especially in drab.

Sheren Kelly
10-04-2015, 07:49 PM
No excuses today as I usually shop as a lady, but in my earlier days, I needed to find some good shoes and went into a shop with: "My dog chewed my girlfriend's pumps and I have to replace them....do you have these in size 11?"
The female clerk did an excellent job of not bursting out in a laugh!

Tracii G
10-04-2015, 08:14 PM
I never had a problem owning it when shopping for girl things.Not sure why but never used excuses as to why I buy things when asked.
Had one SA ask if I needed help and I said yes does this top and pants look ok to you? (holding them up).
She said yes but I think this top here looks better with these pants and hands me the top.
We chat for a minute and she asked is this for you or a GF? I said me and she said OK cool go try these on and I'll go look for more tops to try on.
Just be honest about it because they deal with CD's everyday.

MissTee
10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Years ago if I made a femme purchase I always picked up a gift bag and a greeting card (Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary) and made sure those were prominent at checkout. Nowadays: panties on top. Who cares.

Savannah_Skye
10-04-2015, 09:28 PM
When I first started shopping, I would use the excuse it was for my girlfriend/fiancee. Always asked for a gift receipt in case it "didn't fit." Sometimes, I would get so nervous and show a picture of us together that I kept in my wallet, as if to prove the skirts were not for me. Looking back on it, my nervousness may have given me away.

More recently I have been more comfortable. My wife and I will shop together as welland race to find the best items off the clearance racks.

Gabby6790
10-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I have used the gift box, gift receipt, wife sent me to pick up this or that. Not many questions yet but I am getting to the point where I want to own.

First question ever was when a very feminine male SA at target kept insisting I wear the huge girly sunglasses I just bought out of the store. I was of course in drab and had my very male oakley's tucked into my shirt. He was like "Do you want to wear these out?" "Do you want to me to take the tags off" and like 3 other questions. I was like seriously. Then I had a good chuckle as I walked away. I had obviously been made but the world didn't end.

Last time was buying lip gloss a Kmart. The SA was "YOU wear lip gloss?" I said "Yeah right" sarcastically. I count that as telling the truth :)

Next time I will really own it. As long as I am not shopping locally.

Raychel
10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
For the longest tome I had all sorts of reasons and excuses in my head, for that
instance when the cashier said something. but now I have purchased many items
in the standard department store setting. and not once has the cashier said a thing.

So for excuses, now I have nothing, I just put my items on the belt, they ring thru and I leave.
only problem is where the hell am I going to put 2 more bra's :brolleyes:

~Joanne~
10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Now, my wife goes with me quite often, but this poses a whole new problem, because she is very obviously a lot smaller than me. And she is very over-zealous about volunteering all kinds of excuses to SAs and cashiers.

This is where I am at when my SO goes with me shopping. We are clearly two different sizes so the things we pick up are clearly going to fit me long before they would fit her so she brings in the "invisible niece". She even does it if we have to return something. Hopefully in time she will just realize that and excuse isn't needed in either buying or returning as it's none of their business other than it didn't fit ;)

I find it funny that I have never used the gift wrap excuse but I never thought of a gift card either. I guess the up side of buying a card with everything is that You always have a card laying around when needed ;)

Laura28
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM
It has never bothered me buying anything when I was young I was the one who would go into the pharmacy to buy condoms for me or friends (back then they were behind the counter and u had to ask for them) I was the one at 16 who went into the liquor store and baught the booze. So I have never used and excuse I shop find what I want cloths makeup what ever and just by it I don't make small talk with the cashier or the salesperson I get in and get out lol.

Sophie92
10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Never bought clothes on my own but i have bought make up and for that I try my best to do the "confused guy shopping for his girlfriend look" which involves lots of looking at a pretend text message and pulling faces like i have no idea what I'm looking for. Probably ends up drawing more attention than just looking now that I think about it.

suzanne
10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Yeah, SA's can read an excuse in a millisecond. So don't bother.

At my now favorite store, my first excursion went like this: on the drive there, I rehearsed what I was going to say. You know, "Do you have such-and-such in size 20?" etc. I figured they would assume I was buying for someone else and help me without further questions.

So, in I went. The conversation went like this.
"Hi. Can I help you?"
"Yes. Do you have dresses in size 20?" She must have pegged me right away, because her voice jumped up in volume.
"OH! Of course! Right over there. Would you like me to start a fitting room for you?"
No room for excuses.
Thus began my relationship with a whole store full of enthusiastic SA's, with great eyes for fit and fashion, who treat me more like a friend than a customer. From there, I progressed to where I know I can go anywhere and confidently browse, pick out, try on, and buy any dress in the store . No excuses and no on line disasters for me.

CynthiaD
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
I've never used an excuse. I've never needed one. I don't care what SAs and cashiers think about me.

Gillian Gigs
10-05-2015, 04:57 PM
The one excuse that I remember was the first time I bought panties. I was walking slowly through the womens lingerie section on a very quiet friday evening, when the sales attendant approached and asked if she could help. As she caught me off guard, and I had to come up with a story. I said that my wife and I had this thing about when one of us went out shopping, the other person would say buy me something red. So, I needed something red and she showed me a couple of things and I settled on a pair of panties. The sales attendant thought this was kind of cute, and I walked out of the store with a pair of bright red panties. I did it a couple of other times and it other seemed to work with the young sales attendants. Then it finally occurred to me that no one really cared, so I just started to do my shopping quietly and respond with no thank you when asked if I needed any help.

Evie82
10-05-2015, 05:40 PM
This weekend I was out with my friend looking for some makeup brushes. She was showing them to me (I was probably looking quite uncomfortable) explaining what they're for and what to look for, but then the assistant came over to see if we needed any help and she covered for me so well - she said she she was teaching me about brushes cos I'm starting on a stage makeup course. Fantastic!

Jennifer0874
10-05-2015, 07:54 PM
For over ten years I've been just going in and shopping for women's clothes like I've been doing it all my life. No excuses.

Turns out I wasnt a very good liar. One of the first times I ever went shopping in the real world it was close to Halloween. Perfect excuse. I'm looking for a costume. Of course I just couldn't pass up Victoria Secret. When I got there they had certain panties for sale. I think it was 3 for $15. So I grab six and head to the checkout. While I'm checking out I'm very nervous and say "it's yo go with my Halloween costume". The sales associate looks at me with a yeah right look and says " you need 6 pairs of panties for your costume?" She figured me out. And guess what I could still buy the panties there was no law against it.

Ally 2112
10-06-2015, 12:17 PM
I have got to the point where i just do it and not care if anyone is looking .When i go to the check out most SA'S usually are more interested if i want to put it on their card or have bonus points

~Joanne~
10-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Jennifer, 6 pairs?!?!?!?! lol certainly that didn't work because she was thinking "what does he need panties for that no one will see?" ;)

katie_barns
10-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I never really used excuses, I just hoped they didn't say anything. If they gave me a funny look I would just say "Don't ask" with a smile of course. Once at a store the women clerk looked at me and said "That's not going to fit." I assured her it would, I always wear a size 14.