PDA

View Full Version : Question for the canucks

whowhatwhen
10-04-2015, 11:46 PM
So we're going to the polls soon and I still haven't gotten my name change all done so I still have all my documents and such under my male name.
The problem is that my only photo ID is my G1 learner's permit... and that was made in 2006 and expired in 2011 so I look considerably different now :P

The last vote I did was I think for the TO mayor thingy and they had a hard time believing the person on the ID was me but my family vouched for me.

I don't know what will happen this time, what should I do?

VanTG
10-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Contact Elections Canada

http://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=faq&dir=reg&document=index&lang=e

Frances
10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Voting with a name that does not match your appearance is not that big a problem. I went to Elections Canada and they had information for the agents about it on the wall. I voted many times before changing my name, but my appearance matched my photos (I only changed my name after SRS). As long as they can tell you are the person on the photo, there should not be a problem. You can vote right now at Elections Canada if you prefer (I did last week).

Here is an actual ongoing problem though: Just about every single trans person I know who had changed their name received a voter card in the old name, including me. And that includes even people who had voted before. That's different, as the name will not match the ID. Did someone say "voter suppression?"

I Am Paula
10-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Frances is right. You appearance shouldn't matter. Last elections I had some trouble because my voter card had my old name on it. They would not accept it, and I had to go home and get my name change cert.
I don't think you'll have any problem. VOTE

Oh CRAP! I just went and looked at my voter registration card, which has been on my fridge for weeks. It's in my OLD NAME. An easy fix, but does this ever end?

Frances
10-05-2015, 11:02 AM
It's not just you Paula (the old name thing), it's all trans people in Canada. I don't want to be that girl, but...

I went to Elections Canada and made them change it. I voted while I was there. The next day Facebook exploded with the subject matter. All my friends and acquaintances had received cards in the wrong name.

I Am Paula
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I just drove twenty miles, and had it fixed in minutes. They apologized, and called it a computer error.
In general I have zero complaints about the way Ontario has handled my sex change.
A minor glitch, that's all.

whowhatwhen
10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Okay, thanks everyone :)
I'm a lot less worried now.

Princess Chantal
10-06-2015, 06:34 PM
An license or 2 items taken together to show your name and address like employee card, old age security card, parolee card, hospital card, medical clinic card, Canadian forces identification card, CNIB card, SIN card, prescription medicine container, hospital or long term facility bracelet, credit card, credit union debit card, government cheque. The Rock the vote campaign advises to think 2 items that show your name and address, don't think id cause that would throw you off.
Here is more if a list http://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e

whowhatwhen
10-09-2015, 11:41 PM
I am also an transgender.

Kathryn Martin
10-13-2015, 11:07 AM
when I got my voter card it was of course based on the 2011 electoral roll which would have shown me under my old name since I changed my name two weeks later.

So I went to electis Canada showed them my new ID ad got a new card sent in the mil a week later.