PDA

View Full Version : It begins.

RobinCA
10-10-2015, 01:50 PM
So I've finally decided to come out and begin my transition. My next step is going to be gender counseling. I am going on vacation at the end of the month and when I come back I am going to find a gender therapist and get this process started. I'm a little nervous, but at the same time really exited. I live north of the bay area in Sonoma County. Do any of you girls know of a good therapist in my area. I'd rather go to one through word of mouth rather than finding one online. Thank you.

Badtranny
10-10-2015, 04:04 PM
My therapist was Lizette Lahana in Oakland. She's awesome and very honest about the whole process.

Abby Kae
10-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Robin, I don't have any therapist recommendations for you, not being from that area, but I want to wish you the best of luck. For you, and your lovely wife and daughter.

It's both scary and exciting, I know. Hopefully the excitement of living an authentic life outweighs the fear of the consequences. Be good to yourself and your family, and the rest will fall into place.

RobinCA
10-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks Abby.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Badtranny.

rachael.davis
10-10-2015, 06:50 PM
It's kind of funny I've been seeing a therapist for a while, last year I made a comment about "so you good recommending me for SRS"? Her reply was that she had figured me for transgendered very early on in our relationship, it would take a lot to convince her that I wasn't transgendered, but I had a whole lot more going on in my life that was more problematical than gender identity issues.

she's good

Eringirl
10-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi Robin: I too wish you success. It is a long journey, be patient. And yup, it is scary and exciting all at the same time. Be smart, be safe, about all aspects of transitioning. And most of all, be well.

Keep us in the loop as to how it goes for you.

Erin

Suzanne F
10-11-2015, 03:35 AM
Robin
I live in Novato. My therapist is Dr Jean Hayes. She has experience with gender issues.
Suzanne

Marcelle
10-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi Robin,

Choosing a therapist is an important step and asking for referrals from those who know is an good thing. Not all therapists are created equal and being in the trade I can attest (at least within Canada) that many can just state they deal with gender issues and hang up a shingle and see clients (a few of my colleagues have done so). Do your homework and choose someone you are comfortable with, who has experience and has treated others from the community (a few good referrals here already). The other thing to remember is to be honest as your therapist cannot help you if you are going to play "dodge and deflect" all the time. Honesty is the only way forward in order to get anything out of therapy.

Cheers and good luck.

Marcelle

RobinCA
10-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks Suzanne, I'll look into her.