PDA

View Full Version : Met a 'sister' working at Macy's

Ceera
10-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Last weekend my daughter and I were at a large mall together, doing mall walking and some shopping. I was 'in male mode' - t-shirt and jeans and running shoes - but carrying my purse and I had my nails done in clear polish, and the jeans I was wearing were ladies jeans (though they could pretty much pass for male jeans, as they don't have any particularly feminine decorations). Our last stop was at Macys, where I wanted to get a new silver-toned watch to wear as Ceera.

We went to the jewelry department and looked at the displays of the less-expensive women's watches. I was clearly the one selecting what to look at, and asking my daughter for her opinions on several of them. A female sales associate stopped by and asked if we needed any help. I automatically replied that we were fine, but something about her voice made me look up at her. The SA who had spoken to me was clearly, to my eye at least, transgender! She looked a little nervous and uncomfortable, but was nicely dressed in a black dress and black stockings and black flats, just like the GG sales associate who was also working the department. I smiled at her, and before she left she said she would be nearby if I needed anything. As she departed I noted several 'tells'. Her voice was too high a falsetto. Her arms and hands looked quite masculine. She was taller than I am. And when I looked at her face, she had fairly masculine facial features, and had sideburns that were much too long for a GG. Not huge or bushy, by any means, but growing lower in front of her ears than they do on a GG. She went back to work, and I noted that her female coworker, who was restocking some displays, seemed quite at ease with her. That was quite nice to see. I felt rather proud of the girl, working openly in a very high-profile location in the store, where she would deal with lots of GG's every day. And it was nice to see that a big store like Macy's clearly had no issues with her working en-femme.

I selected a cute silver charm bracelet watch, and went to pay for it. The GG sales associate was closer to me, but still occupied with stocking. She asked if I was ready to check out, and then asked the TG girl if she would like to ring up my purchase.

I completed my transaction with the TG girl, quietly confirming my evaluation to be certain I was not mistaken, without staring or commenting to her, as I got my credit card out of my purse and put it back when done. If there had been any doubt left, her name tag would have cinched it. The name was a male name, though in a diminutive form ending in 'ie', which could also be female. I debated whether or not to say anything to her, but decided in favor of it. So just before I left, I paused, got out one of Ceera's calling cards, which has a picture of me in female mode on it, and gave it to her, saying, "By the way, it's nice to meet a 'sister'. That's me, on the card." She looked at the card, then back at me, and said, "OH! Thank you!" and smiled. She seemed to stand a little straighter and become more at ease. I hadn't criticized her presentation or detailed how I knew, other than by my own admission that I do it too. We just smiled at each other a moment, and then I turned and my daughter and I left.

As we left the mall and walked through the parking lot to my car, my daughter quietly commented that she hadn't even noticed the SA was trans, until I made the quiet comment about 'a sister'. But once that had been said, she realized I was right.

AngelaYVR
10-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Nicely handled. How very debonair to hand out cards. Do they self destruct after they are read?

phylis anne
10-12-2015, 05:49 PM
bravo my dear that was very decent of you in many ways ,not only did you meet annother bird of the feather you really upped her confidence
hugs phylis anne

Ceera
10-12-2015, 06:05 PM
I got tired of trying to be heard clearly over the music in a club, or trying to scribble a name and number on a cocktail napkin. So I made cards that have my picture as Ceera, my name as Ceera Murakami, and my Google Voice phone number, which discretely redirects to my actual cell phone number, as well as Ceera's e-mail and Facebook contact info. No address - not even a city and state - and nothing readily traced back to my male side.

The old fashioned idea of a 'calling card' appealed to me, and people seem to think it's a neat idea. Though I have had a few people peer at the card and ask what line of business I am in. To that, I just reply that it's my calling card, not a business card.

I'm not too worried about anyone getting their hands on one of the cards and associating the picture on the card with me. I look quite different with my makeup, forms and wig on.

Tracii G
10-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Well done Ceera.
Each meeting dictates which approach is appropriate.

Sheren Kelly
10-12-2015, 09:28 PM
OK, I'll be the dissenter here.

My philosophy is to never assume anyone's identity. Even if in this instance I was 100% certain I was with another "sister", I wouldn't imply to her that I had read her as trans (how could this be considered enhancing her confidence?). When I meet someone who I suspect is trans, I treat them with dignity appropriate to their presentation. If I am totally at a loss, I can still be polite and friendly using gender neutral terms. If she/he seems nervous, I usually toss them a complement on some aspect of their style or personality.

What if you had been wrong about her identity? Women are under enough pressure to look a certain way, misidentifying a GG as a TG could be devastating.

Robin414
10-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm with gen pop on this one, I think that was nicely handled Ceera, I think 'we' can spot unicorns outside of the enchanted forest WAY better than mugles can. I was with my SO a couple months ago and a very tall attractive young lady walked past us and my wife said 'it's not often you see such a tall woman', I politely agreed but Im pretty sure she was a unicorn, for reasons other than just height (I think my SO thought the same thing but she's beginning to tune in to our frequency so to speak ) ☺

Ceera
10-12-2015, 11:13 PM
I will agree there was some risk to making any sort of comment. But it worked out okay. She sent me a FB friend request today. ��