PDA

View Full Version : Holiday blues.

becky77
10-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi all

I went away recently, no where special just a week away in Devon (South-West picturesque England).
Sun was out and I took my dog and went with my Ex, we had such a great time, visited loads of places and I really relaxed.

It was on the drive home that a real sense of gloom hit me, that I was returning to my problems. It was then that it dawned on me what that meant, away from anyone that knew me I wasn't misgendered once, no one looked at me oddly and I could just relax and be me, I relaxed as the week went on because I could just be normal.

This made me realise just how tough and stressful it has been transitioning in place, don't get me wrong the people at work have been great but i'm constantly on edge always aware of people that knew me misgenering me to those that don't, conversations where I am uncatagorised so I am not included even though I am standing there. People being standoffish, a sense that they are relieved when you leave etc etc.

Added to that i'm having issues with my brother, ironically he says he and the kids can cope with me becoming a woman, but they can't tolerate my ex being around. My brother has always disliked my ex and it's like this is his chance to omit her from the family. It absolutely breaks my heart as she has stood by me, been my rock and best friend the one who is there to pick me up on those down days and give me a hug when the tears come.
No one knows just how tough transition is, it's like "Ok, you're a woman now all is ok", I've found it really tough since going fulltime mainly mentally, feelings of not being good enough. I feel people have accepted me better than I am able to accept myself.
What my brother and Mum (who defends him) doesn't realise is how amazing my ex is to stick around, they totally dismiss just how tough this has been for her, she has lost her husband and a solid future as well as coping with her own feelings and coping with mine. For a while back there I was in a real bad place and went a little off the rocks, she was still there even when I was acting stupid.

I am gobsmacked my brother has done this and it truly saddens me, he has said if ever she turns up at family get togethers he won't come with the kids, my parents won't want their grandchildren missing so that's it. The most wonderful person in my life who has had an aweful tough couple of years has just been pushed out. They are using my Transition as a tool and i've been reminded several times how lucky I am that they have accepted me.

This is a really unexpected twist I didn't see coming, my emotions go from hurt to anger to just confused and then dejection.

There is a lot to be said for starting a new life somewhere else!

Below is me on holiday happy, happier around strangers that really shouldn't be the case. I almost have no friends left and now the newness has worn off my family is playing up, I rely on my ex more than ever she just doesn't deserve this.

Eringirl
10-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Ah, Becks, really sorry that this is happening. But I am happy that you have such strong support from your ex! Good for you. Sometimes I think it would be much easier if I were to move and start fresh, as, ya, transitioning in place is tough. But it would be hard for me to find another work environment that was as supportive and comfortable for me. I would think that this photo of you, on a holiday with your ex and looking so tremendously HAPPY, would be enough to show your brother how happy you are being with your ex and that should suffice. But alas, I do understand that family relationships can be very trying.

And I love the photo !! I hope I can be that happy and pretty someday!

Caio for now,

Erin

Suzanne F
10-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Yes I agree with Erin, you look very beautiful. Yes transitioning in place is tough. Letting go of family and their expectations isn't easy either. Remember that you have to take care of your own emotional well being and sometimes that takes distancing ourselves from our families. I hope you find peace on this journey of ours!
Suzanne

Megan Thomas
10-15-2015, 03:35 PM
It's easy for people like me to say it, but my advice is stand your ground and value those who remain. Your ex sounds like a diamond and regardless of what others in your family think, to ditch her at their behest will make you weak to their future demands. As for family gatherings etc, I'd make it clear if your ex isn't welcome too then you'll stay away. That will be hard on you but it will also be hard on the family and eventually something will give and help resolve the situation.

That's my advice and what I would do. Your situation is for you to decide and act on and I wish you well whatever way you choose.

becky77
10-15-2015, 03:57 PM
No way am I ditching her, she is my family.
It just puts me in a horrid position, right now I have backed off. After the last year I have had I simply haven't got the emotional energy to deal with this right now.

It's my neice and nephews birthday both in November, then Christmas. I feel forced into choosing between the two, my brother is an arse but I don't want the children to suffer.

I haven't seen much of them this year, with going full-time and my work load has doubled, I get to the weekend and I'm too exhausted.
Also I have been holding it together but it's a bloody big deal, I tell everyone I'm fine and it's all going well but it takes it out of you, I can't be around negative people at the moment, I just haven't got the strength, I know that sounds pathetic.

Suzanne F
10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
It isn't pathetic. It just is. I know what you mean as far as emotional strength. It seems every day now I need to summon up extra to face a big challenge. I would like to go to a beach chalet and hide for a month. I am tired and don't have the energy for any trivial stuff. You are doing great and deserve some rest.
Suzanne

Badtranny
10-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Beautiful post Becky.

Transition is a hell of a thing, and it can definitely be exhausting at times. Like Suzanne said, every day feels like another fire walk. I don't think it ever gets easier, we just get tougher.

Debb
10-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Becky, I am sorry you are going through this.

Perhaps with time, your brother will begin to see the light. My own youngest brother did a similar thing months ago, and now he is making noises as to his viewpoint has ever-so-slightly changed, and I am to be allowed to be present at my family gatherings during Christmas, etc.

There is hope. Thank you for sticking by your ex, she deserves it well.

becky77
10-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Oh well I backed off and it seems no one is that bothered.

It always seems to be me that has to give.

The general vibe currently is that I owe them because they didn't turn their back on me.
How lucky am I that the freak is tolerated in the family. :sad:

Kaitlyn Michele
10-29-2015, 10:18 AM
i get that sometimes too..

Hey kaitlyn, we accept you as you... now be perfect and do everything else we say in return...

to be fair this was true more at first and over time my transition did become a non event... i think becky there is a good chance that the limited acceptance you have now will become more complete over time...

Debra Russell
10-29-2015, 11:23 AM
well we are all on your side ... and accepting, just wish your family could understand what it is to have such a wonderful person as your ex to be there for you - and for what ? because she loves you no matter what - that's hard to come by - she it the best part of your family..................................Debra

Tiff
10-29-2015, 01:39 PM
There are some truly wonderful people post on here. If only everyone else in the World were even near as nice. Becky, I havent read any of your posts before, you look so happy in that photo.

Janice Ashton
10-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Hi Becky,

Very much the same here with me although not from family point of view as I have none. But like you since going full time it is so much easier to be amongst strangers as they don't bother me (well not as much) as people you have known before transition. I was away on Holiday in May and September 'Wonderful' but back in the 'Living World' far more different. As you say after a while it seems as if people who knew you previous to transition become very different in their approach to you after a while.
I often feel I would like to move away from everyone that I presently know and start a complete fresh new life, but circumstances with work won't allow this at present;
Difficult times; I knew transition wouldn't be easy? So situations as mentioned only makes me more determined to live my life and be the real person I know I am....
Good luck with your days and weeks ahead, I hope life gets easier for you....

Jennifer-GWN
10-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Becky;

First off...not sure how I missed the original post.
Second... Love the picture and and the pouch is adorable
Third and most important... Families can be tough, complicated by what we are going through, complicated even more with relationships. You shouldn't have to defend you and your transition but may it may be important for the, to hear and clearly understand your relationship with your wife and how important that is. It's not confrontation with the family but more a conversation of understanding. If that doesn't work then execute the disagree and commit order on them. For god sakes they should understand how much this particular relationship means to you and the stability it brings into our tangled lives.

Strength without making it a fight.

Find the right time. Your a big girl and I know having met you you can do it.

Cheers... Jennifer