PDA

View Full Version : First support group meeting

Sarah-RT
10-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Hey everyone

Tomorrow evening there is an LGBT meet up specifically for the T community in my college. I avoided joining the society last year which was my first year but have decided to do so this year and saw they were hosting the event.
I was in contact with one of the committee members to get the directions since its private, I told her I was genderfluid as opposed to transsexual since we've often seen the divide that can appear here between the two. She says that's perfectly fine "they don't police genders".
They have representatives from the trans student support network or something coming in too, presumably to discuss the challenges they face.

I feel really apprehensive about going though since I'll be in male mode and feel like I'll be infringing on them(though they seem very welcoming) I've never been to a support group before, for anyone who has, what was your first meeting like?

**Update**
So it's make or break time, have to catch the bus shortly to make the meeting and I'm terrified, all my thoughts are jumping through the usual hoops of "it's a phase" "I'm making a fool out of myself" etc etc, I'm going to go but I can't explain why I feel this nervous, I've dressed in front of friends and family but going to this as male and I feel so panicked.. I'll update afterwards and say how it went

Sarah x

chris63
10-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I go to a support group in Nashville and it is wonderful. It's great to finally realize that you are not alone. There are people who come to our group in their birth gender. No issues whatsoever. Very fun and accepting.

stacycoral
10-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Miss Sarah, girl go i bet they don't care what your wearing, and it isounds like it will be a great time for you, best to you girl, hugs.

pamela7
10-18-2015, 02:23 PM
the two groups i attended the "ladies" were dressed, and I felt underdressed relatively, going in drab would seem like a first-time only learning experience, but probably every group is different. They might offer "changing rooms" to allow for dressing/drabbing.

mykell
10-18-2015, 05:54 PM
hi sarah,

this past spring i attended a pflag meeting a few towns away, i went in guy mode and they welcomed me as one of the group, a few terms i was corrected on but a pleasant experience overall, it was a transgender and parents and friends night, their were all ages and people not dressed, i wanted to stay afterwards and talk but it was late and my first time.

the next time i went dressed (no forms or bra, didnt have any at the time, just flats, skinny jeans, top), had to leave the house underdressed and put makeup on in the car (my wife knows but we are keeping it private for the time being) worked out ok, once there i was scared how comfortable i felt, stayed and talked to some folks afterwards.

i have a seasonal summer business....didnt go all summer, in september went again with a goatee, it took the mod a spell but once she heard my voice she put it all together, friday i went out for a drive and wore my new forms and corset as well, went to a bra outlet store and tomorrow will be going fully dressed again, cant wait...

the only down side is the game tomorrow and i will be missing some of it, but i will have to give a "GO GIANTS" shout out.....couldnt resist....

i think that when we are in the room with each other the differences are put aside and we concentrate on the common issues we have to overcome together,
i think you will enjoy it and i hope that you come to feel as comfortable at yours as i felt at mine.

Pat
10-18-2015, 06:16 PM
It wouldn't be much of a support group if they required you to already be comfortable being out dressed. ;) Just go and get a feel for the group. Chances are next meeting you'll be more comfortable.

reb.femme
10-18-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm at a disadvantage here because I hated school, didn't go on to college and my educational years were spent using chalk and boards, not iPads etc. I got the education buzz in my 20's and still have it today.

Anyway, to now take a serious standpoint, I think it's probably wise to go in Bob mode, as you are not under any pressure, other than being a first timer. I'm fairly sure that after a few minutes there, you will wish you had dressed, so my advice is then duff at best.

My local group was a little turgid when I first arrived, but a new lead took over and it is a much happier and vibrant ship because of it. You might even be that prospective lead some day yourself. I've met some really nice people through TransPALS, so I say go and test the water.

Rebecca x

Sarah-RT
10-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I don't feel as worried now.
I find I over think things too much to my own disadvantage. I'll let yous know how it goes tomorrow.

Mikell I'm afraid I'll be shouting fly eagles fly tomorrow night, the Giants are going down :tongueout

Tracii G
10-18-2015, 07:44 PM
My first time I went in boy mode but later wished I had gone in girl mode.
Dress up and look your best you'll be glad you did.

Jazzy Jaz
10-19-2015, 12:57 AM
I just wanna say that being where ever you may be on the tg spectrum you have just as much right to be there as anyone else. Good luck and im sure you'll find good support and great friendship.