PDA

View Full Version : Yet another label

Christie ann
10-28-2015, 12:12 PM
So I am doing some research this morning about bicycles. I am a short guy and find many normal man things don't fit, like bicycles. Anyway, there is a class nearby for "female identifying persons" to learn more about full suspension mountain bikes.

I had never seen the term female identifying persons before. I like it and plan on attending the class!

Judith96a
10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
It sounds like someone wasn't sure what label to use while trying to "do the right thing". Let's give them points for effort.

Pat
10-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I say they get a thumbs up. :)

docrobbysherry
10-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Maybe the seats r different? I know riding a bike for many years was sometimes a painful experience for Robert.:sad:

But, as Sherry? Her riding anything with a seat like that would send me to the hospital!:doh:

But, for a cisfemale? Any bike seat would be comfy by comparison!:)

Jenniferathome
10-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Bikes have set geometries based on general height, reach, weight, leg length, etc. how one identifies is irrelevant to bike geometries. Men, in general, have longer arms than women of the same height, as an example. Get a bike that fits best and adjust to you uniquely: saddle position, saddle height, crank arm length, stem height, stem length, etc.

-----
upon a re-read, this appears to be a typical product introduction thing that many bike shops do. They often offer same sex seminars as women tend to get more intimidated in groups with men and in particular when involving sports and/technology. They talk about suspension, travel, gearing, braking, the basics.

Mayo
10-28-2015, 02:52 PM
At a minimum 'female-identifying' includes both cis and trans women. It may also include genderqueer / genderfluid / bigender folks and sometimes trans men as well, depending on the nature of the event and who it's representing (e.g. Take Back The Night). CDs would I think not generally be included unless they specifically identify as trans women (TG/TS). Read the fine print or call to inquire! :)

Lorileah
10-28-2015, 05:40 PM
. CDs would I think not generally be included unless they specifically identify as trans women (TG/TS). Read the fine print or call to inquire! :) how would they know? You suppose there is a sign-in?

Christie ann
10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
It was their way of saying all are welcome but we will be discussing bike fit and bike maintenance in a way that "traditionally" has been done in woman only environments. I just liked that they understood not all female are natal girls and the terminology struck me as funny.

flatlander_48
10-28-2015, 07:47 PM
Offhand, I don't know what other term you could use to be all-inclusive. I think they should get high marks for being sensitive to inclusion issues.

DeeAnn

Robin414
10-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey, another acronym for 'us' to add the vocabulary along with GG, TG, CD, TS...'FIP' yah, I'm a FIP, deal with it...swish!

Nikki Elle
11-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Somebody needs to publish a handbook on terms, I can't keep up. By all means go to the class, a properly fitted bicycle will make the riding experience better.