PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Suzanne F
10-30-2015, 03:04 AM
I previously shared that last week there had been a company meeting where the president announced my transition. I had not been nvited to attend. I thought I would go into the office the next day but I was asked to wait until there was an actual reason to come. I am an account manger and I work from home or in the field most days. I was not pleased but agreed. They said they didn't want it to be any big deal. Then on Thursday I met with 4 customers to inform them of my transition. I was asked to appear as male and my boss had to be present. Again, I wasn't that happy but agreed.

The first appointment went well. The buyer is a woman and she took the news lightly. Is that it? I said yes and she said great no problem. So we then had lunch with my second largest customer. The owner met us and was so sweet. He told me it was an upgrade! He was so supportive and let my boss know that his company would be totally supportive. I was just elated. I mean I play golf with this guy and it was just the best to be accepted. Next stop was a customer that had just promoted my contact so we met both her and the new buyer. It was very business like and they said they were supportive and wished me well. The last stop was the toughest. We met with the owner of a distribution company that was very loud until we got to the subject at hand. He tensed up but I assured him I wasp to the task and would continue to do a great job. I sensed he was nervous about their customers. I told him in the event that we encountered a non supportive customer we could switch reps for him. He thanked me for the direct talk and I think this soothed his fear. Done 4 up 4 down!

Turns out there must be someone looking over me. My long time friend and sponsor flew in last weekend. On Monday morning he went with me to my office in Sacramento. I had to pick up some samples for a customer and we drove to Sacramento. I dropped him off at Starbucks and drove over to the office. I called my best girl friend and said ok, it is getting ready to happen. She wished me well and I pulled into the parking lot. I almost pulled my wig off combing it! I said a quick prayer and headed for the door.

I have heard other women here talk about their first days and I wish I was eloquent enough to capture the moment. It was surreal. I walked though the office and said hi. The two women I am closest to were very sweet. No problem there! Then I spoke with the CFO and the Director of Operations. No big deal, one was kind of tense but it was ok. I tried to help him by just being low key and at ease. Then I went into the president's office and sat down. He was cordial but a little distant. However, it was ok. I then had a meeting with the sales director. He has been the most involved with my transition and has came along way. He had met me before as Suzanne and this time seems more at ease. I walked out the door a happy woman!

The next day I made my first calls as me to customers. The first was to drop off samples at the company where the owner had been tense. The receptionist who took the samples couldn't quite figure out how she recognized me. She had seen me as male just 4 days before. Then I stopped by the plant of the super supportive person I had met with. He had shared my news with the buyer, a good friend of mine who I have a great relationship with. She was elated. She grabbed me and hugged me and then said look how beautiful. She was just the best! She kept saying how proud she was and that anything I needed she would do for me. It was one of the best moments of this entire journey. There were two more stops, they were fine and I headed home.

I know it is not over. There are still more meetings to come out. There are still more customers to meet as Suzanne. But I did it!!!!! The world did not end. I can't tell you how much this has meant to me. I can breathe and I can be me. I have one more meeting that I have to be Brent for but that will be it.

Suzanne

AllieSF
10-30-2015, 03:41 AM
Thank you so much for sharing a key moment or moments in your transition. It is definitely not easy but your experience shows that sometimes it just works out. My belief is that they knew you before and liked you and even though your presentation is different, inside you are the same person to them as before. I know it is not as simple as just that, but their acceptance now is based on who you were before, someone they liked trusted and knew.

Hopefully, the hardest were the first and the rest is just a downhill easier road to the future. Congratulations and keep up the good work that you have been doing.

grace7777
10-30-2015, 06:06 AM
It is nice to see that things are going well for you. Hopefully in the future your meetings will continue to go well for you.

Kate T
10-30-2015, 06:51 AM
Fantastic Suzanne. Sounds like all will be good.
I will admit to being amazed and humbled by the support we have received so far telling clients (I don't have a "boss" unless of course you count my wife :)). What is now a little disconcerting though on reflection a positive are clients coming in and I start on the "we have some changes occurring in the clinic" spiel only for them to go " that's ok, we know, it's not a problem"!!

Bria
10-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Suzanne, I'm sure that the reaction of the woman who grabbed you and gave you the big hug must have brought tears to your eyes, I know that it did to mine! I hope that all of the future meetings go as well!

Hugs, Bria

arbon
10-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Your past the big hurdles and it starts to not be so big a deal to everyone.

Badtranny
10-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Hells yes!

Marcelle
10-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Hi Suzanne,

I am so happy to read things went well. There will always be a few tense/awkward moments at first but eventually it will become the new normal. Congrats and finally opening those last doors at work and just being who you need to be.

Cheers

Marcelle

Rachel Smith
10-31-2015, 04:56 PM
Love to hear good stories. Thanks for sharing. It will get easier in time. I remember the feeling well though and how it made me feel. Even yesterday I was shopping at Kroger and had to push my cart between a man and the shelves he was looking at. I said excuse me and he said anytime sweetness. I walked a little taller after that.

Katey888
11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Your story just keeps putting a smile on my face, Suzanne... :)

It is super to hear that other professionals will accept this more than professionally and that has to be a measure of you as a person (as well as a professional, of course!) Yaay! :cheer:

Katey x

Robin414
11-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Wow Suzanne, your courage is inspirational! Just wanted to say congratulations and wishing much more success until it's not even worth mentioning 😊

PretzelGirl
11-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Yay! Sorry, I am just now seeing this as I have been off-line (not for good reasons) and you just picked me up and made me tear up. This is great! As far as people not recognizing you, get used to it. It bugged me and in some sense, you may lose some of those fringe relationships if they don't pick up who you are. Some relationships are worth pulling the person aside, but if they are ones that are not active engagements, you may just not have the time for all of them and you will be the "new" girl.

Very awesome! :c9:

Dana44
11-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Great news Suzanne. I'm so glad thing are going right for you. IT takes a lot of courage and you have accomplished a lot. But all new customers will know you a Suzanne.

Adelaide
11-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Fantastic news. I'm sooooo happy for you....Actually, I envy you.....

Eringirl
11-02-2015, 09:03 AM
That is awesome Suzanne!! I know that must have been stressful and difficult, but so validating all at the same time. Good on you. Keep on trucking' !! Let us know how it continues.....truly inspirational.

Erin

becky77
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Well done Suzanne, how are you feeling now?

Hell on Heels
11-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Hell-o Suzanne,
I love the comment that your client made about the upgrade!
Funny, because you're still you, but oh so true!
I'm so happy things are going so well for you.
Much Love,
Kristyn

Suzanne F
11-03-2015, 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone! Today was the final coming out to customers. No problems! They were surprised but supportive. Now the real work begins. I have to go out there and be me!!!! I gave my expensive collection of dress shirts to my sales director after we finished. Funny but that seemed to be the line. I had the sense of there is no turning back now once I gave them to him. After everything I have survived that was the line. So I just want to savor this accomplishment right now but I don't really have time. There is so much to do and I am scared to stop. I did receive a call from a fellow AA woman this weekend. She works at a local rehab. There is a new client who is married and is beginning transition. They have asked me to come share my story with her. Oh I almost forgot. This isn't all about me. Thanks ladies for sharing this journey with me!

PaulaQ
11-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Congratulations Suzanne! Getting rid of those shirts felt great, didn't it?

Nicole Erin
11-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Right now things are going well for you. There may be a set-back or two along the way but who doesn't have those?
The lesson right now is that people either don't care or don't mind and are supportive.

There will come a point when you wont even think about the fact that you are living as Suzanne. It won't come up much at all and when it does, you will get bored and quickly change subjects.

Besides, the way you describe your job duties, it doesn't sound like you could easily be replaced so things will go well from here on out.

Bria
11-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Ending one phase of our lives is the beginning of the next phase! Remember when you graduated from high school and how exciting that was, and the you started college or started a job. We get to the top of one phase and then start at the bottom of the next phase.

Right now I am going from working in the same job for the last 36 years to semi-retirement, I expect this to be a major life change! Hopefully all of our major life changes are for the better!

Congratulations on giving the shirts away and moving on to the next phase, I hope its all butterflys and unicorns!

Hugs, Bria

Jennifer-GWN
11-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Suzanne;

A well deserved time to take a deep breath and relish in the moment. Let it all sink in...I'm still wondering when that part ends myself but until then God does it ever feel GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD and NATURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers... Jennifer