PDA

View Full Version : Happy Halloween- A special moment

Paula_56
10-31-2015, 07:24 AM
It was the 1960’s, a hospital in Brooklyn, New York, the corridors were cacophony of sounds, smells and people. If American is a melting pot, then Brooklyn is the place where it gets stirred. The hallways were crowded with families, police, and medical staff. Here was a place that almost everyone was destine to pass thru. My mother held my hand as my father seemed to clear a path that I was pulled thru.
My grandmother who ironically I was named after, laid ill down the hall. My parents had rushed in from New Jersey and brought me with them.
I was left with the nurses as my parents went to my grandmother’s side. I was calmed and comforted by them and followed them like a puppy. They were loving, gentle and sweet. Watching them tend to so many fascinated me. I followed them as they went on their rounds.
You see I was 8 years old and I had already started praying each night for God to turn me into a girl. My father was a mechanic, and my uncle a plumber. My friends Dad drove a truck. The idea of doing any of these things for a life time was even then out of place. I hated the garage where Dad worked; it was wet, dirty and noisy.
A nurse, yes this is where I belonged, this is where I fit in! Helping people, I wanted to help people and be like these ladies. I identified with them.
Driving back home thru the New Jersey meadowlands, I volunteered, “When I grow up I want to be a nurse.”
My Mom and Dad said something to each other in Polish as they often did when they didn’t want us to hear.
While lighting a cigarette my Mom yelped back, “Boys can’t be nurses, only girls are nurses.”
My Dad added something about being a doctor or lawyer.
It was the 1960’s and boys couldn’t be nurses and for that matter boys couldn’t be girls either.
Now it’s 2015 and times have changed. Today boys can be nurses and girls can be doctors and lawyers.
What’s more, boys, who want to, can also be girls, and today for a short time I made right a wrong turn so many years ago. I was both!

Happy Halloween!

Candee
10-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Great story and you look great too!

stacycoral
10-31-2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the touching story, and Paula you look like your ready to go to work, watch for those old guys wanting to chase nurse down the hall, hugs lady.

bridget thronton
10-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Good post - you look great Happy Halloween

Samantha2015
10-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Great story Paula. Thank you for sharing.
I think nurses, male or female, don't get enough credit or thanks for what
they do.

paulaprimo
10-31-2015, 03:21 PM
you look great Paula, and yes dreams can true... :)

Dana44
10-31-2015, 03:43 PM
Happy Halloween to you Paula, I agree that the garage work was a bit grimy. I went the engineering route. Now am retired. Heh, boys can be girls.

Chriscrossed
10-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Your story was so very well written. Thank you.

Ally 2112
11-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Great story. These days you see a lot of male nurses times have changed

Billie R
11-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Great story Paula. It kind of hits home. Your story was very touching.

HerAngel
11-01-2015, 08:57 AM
awesome story that im sure that hits home for many of us

susie evans
11-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Hi PAULA

good to here from you, you look good hope things are well

Susie

Krisi
11-03-2015, 10:13 AM
That's a great story and you make a believable nurse.

Yes, times have changed. You don't need breasts to be a nurse and you don't need balls to be a doctor. Why did it take so long to figure that out?

Amy Fakley
11-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Well you definitely look the part!
It's a beautiful moment when life offers the opportunity to close such a massive arc so perfectly. :-)

Amy Lynn3
11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
You look great and a heart felt story along with the picture. :)

Sarah Doepner
11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your story Paula. While I don't have a singular touchstone moment like yours, I'm sure if I did around a little more I may uncover something similar. You have managed to make amends and look like you would be welcome in any situation where care is a primary concern.