PDA

View Full Version : A request for activism

Danitgirl1
11-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Hi All
Apologies, I don't normally do this kind of thing but we need some help.
If this breaches any rules, apologies to the mods but I think this is an important issue for our community and for the individual involved.
So here is the problem:
I have a MtF trans friend on Twitter.
She is transitioning and has had a REALLY rough ride her whole life.
She was actually intersex at birth seemed to have corrective surgery, never fitted with her body etc etc...

Anyway in South Africa you need to have an Identity Document. It is a photographic proof of identity required to get a job, open a bank account, get a drivers licence, vote, get a passport, get on a plane (even for domestic flights), buy a TV, buy a car and CRUCIALLY get medical aid (there is no state sponsored medical service other than BASIC healthcare for the unemployed)...

She has applied for an identity document with her 'new' gender. This is important as she can then get a medical aid as a woman AND her hormones and other medical care will thus get paid for. Right now the medical aid will not pay for medical care that a woman needs for a man...

Here is the trouble... She applied and received quite bad treatment from the staff, demanding stamps that were not necessary, her case was loudly proclaimed for all to hear, she was mis-gendered etc. After applying she waited the mandatory period and queried the state of the application. She was told. 'Oh sorry, this and that was missing, you need to reapply'. Which she did. Even though she had supplied the 'missing' information first time round.
She was told to wait 2 weeks.
3 weeks later NO JOY and she is getting no answers...

We are thinking this has gone beyond bureaucratic incompetence and is in fact a discriminatory practice.
Juanita lacks the $$$ to get lawyers involved and in SA we lack proper trans advocacy groups with access to human rights lawyers etc.

We were thinking that maybe we could get a bit of a twitter furore going and maybe even apply some international pressure?
Could I please ask that all of you with Twitter accounts tweet about this and ask all your followers to do the same?

#GiveJuaHerID is the hashtag we are using to get some excitement on Twitter.
@HomeAffairsSA is the twitter handle for the dept of home affairs
@mgigaba is the minister of home affairs
@juavanzyl is the affected person

Please help if you can.
Shout if you want more info.
Jua's story can be found here: http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-07-08-transgender-in-focus-into-the-light-juanitas-story/#.VjsCK7crLIU

Without an ID Jua's ability to function in society is compromised.
We need to show governments that they cannot discriminate in this way.
Please note this is not a legal issue, SA's laws are quite supportive the problem is that officials are just not doing their jobs...

Your help is appreciated.

Daniella

Robin414
11-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I'd love to help Daniella, I'm not on twitter but I'll start an account for what it's worth! As for getting a lawyer, do you think it would help (or doable)? If so how about crowd funding Juanita's cause?I'm no expert on CF by any means but I've heard it being used succesfully for MUCH less profound reasons.

Danitgirl1
11-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Hi
Thanks Robin... That is awesome!

It seems like Juanita's application moved forward a little overnight and she was contacted by an official and told it had been moved on.

Which is great for her BUT will it make a real change for other transgender people coming after her?

BUT she does not yet have the document. we are still waiting to see if it will arrive. The question remains why is it taking so long?
It seems that whenever a trans person goes down this path in SA a blaze of (unwelcome) publicity is required to get anything done.

I actually think we need to start a trans rights NGO to work for real systemic change rather than fighting the individual cases. We need to get to the point where this just happens when it needs to...

To do that we need $$$... Perhaps that is what we need to use the crowd funding idea for?

Thanks for the seed of an idea.

Watch this space

Danitgirl1
11-16-2015, 08:35 AM
So good news everyone. Juanita got her identity document today. Looks like the pressure paid off. Thank you and well done. :-)