PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else enamored with the "50's" look?

TracyDeluxe
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Maybe it's because I am older (well, over 35, at any rate, LOL!), but I just adore wearing 50's styles, with their full skirts and petticoats. Needless to say, I don't wear them out while doing my daily chores or working, but when "playing" (yes, I live and work as a woman 24/7, but still like to wear costumes) at home, they are my 1st choice. Other guys grew up wanting to be cowboys, firemen, or pilots, I always wanted to be Donna Reed, LOL!

Who else here has that compulsion to dress in the styles of that period?

jill_4
02-13-2006, 07:18 PM
;) sounds good to me,whatever turns you on.................Jill;) ;) :clap: :clap:

BeckyAnderson
02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Tracy,

I love the look of the fifties! Day dresses, bullet bra's, seamed stockings and open toed pumps. Problem is I have yet to come across any really nice day dresses and bullet bra's. I, too, loved the Donna Reed look and the way June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) dressed. Hugs, Becky

Laurie Ann
02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
June Cleaver in here dress, pearls and heels doing housework was my ideal of a woman.

SherriePall
02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
My wife has wanted me to learn how to cook for a couple of years now. I told her once only if I could wear pearls like Mrs. Cleaver (and the dress, too). Actually, my wife has a nice green shirt dress which looks like it could be from the 50's. I have seen some long skirt suits advertised in Blair catalogs which look 50ish. Oh, well, some day.

Shelby
02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
After watching the movie Pleasentville, I love the look. I enjoyed the scene where Reese Witherspoon is asking her brother if this is what women really wore back then as she models her new 50's look while sporting a bullet bra beneath. What was amusing is that she is asking him about women's fashions. I would love to wear anyone of those costumes from that movie

Sarah Rabbit
02-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I adore the 50's look. I have one such dress and always looking for more.
I think that look is the epitome of "feminine hood" I would imagine a lot of
modern GG's would not agree. I have a dual dillemma. Not only was I born
into the wrong gender. I was born into the wrong era.:cry:

AprilMae
02-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I preferred the '60's Laura Petrie look myself. But I do like open toed pumps.

Fallen Angel
02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
some of the clothes from the fifties were really eligent. But its more of the 80's culter of clothing I find thats works well for me

AprilMae
02-14-2006, 12:18 AM
In a lot of ways the 80's borrowed a lot from the 60's...Leggings and stirrup pants, big hair.....

vicki true
02-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Girls.

Iove 50's clothes and wear them most of the time.;)

RobynB
02-14-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm a child of the 50's, well, late 40's, and I adore the full skirts and petticoats.

KarenNY
02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I have always loved the fashions of the '50s, and I have often worn dresses with full skirts with a petticoat underneath (around the house anyway, as I dress much more conventionally outside the house). I just love the look and feel of full skirts and crinolines, ever since I was a teenager.

I also love '80s fashions because that's when I grew up with my supportive mother, so I had a lot of exposure to the ruffles, lace and puffed shoulders of '80s fashions -- I miss that era most of all, I think!