PDA

View Full Version : Coming Out and Creating Memories

LeaP
11-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Coming out in style is the topic.

This was strictly opportunistic and not planned, but I came out to our son yesterday. ... while standing at the front of a 65' catamaran cruising Kauai's Napali coast. Spectacular scenery, decidedly brisk trade winds, and 10-15' waves. "Exciting conditions," said the captain.

It went well. Acceptance, some questions, and then on to snorkeling. One more down.

Where have you come out?

CarlaWestin
11-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Just sitting here quietly in front of my computer. I came out to my Daughter. It went like this.

"How can I tell you, that I'm transgender?

It's really hard to hit the send button right now.

I love you, dearly. And, I love your mom.

Ok, here I go. Send."

And, like that, I was elevated from awesome to super awesome.

Jennifer-GWN
11-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Way to go Lea! not sure the ages but what a great casual location to float this topic and see how well it floats.

Cheers... Jennifer's

LeaP
11-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Age = 32.

PretzelGirl
11-26-2015, 09:04 PM
I don't know if I can ever reach that level of style. Pretty cool. Mine were all very deliberate, so they were sitting down and talking or over the phone. Creativity!

Rianna Humble
11-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Mine are pretty well documented and a couple of summaries come up on the first page of the "About 63,800 results" offered by Google when you search for my name.

Not half as exciting as Lea's location, but in approximate order:

I came out to my (then) 88 year old dad in our living room
I came out to HR in a meeting convened by me following a conversation with my managers
I came out to immediate work colleagues in private conversations in the office
I came out to a close family friend in my living room
I came out to former Council Colleagues by proxy following a phone conversation with the leader of my political group on the Council
I came out to the rest of my office block by proxy through their managers
I came out to the whole of my town through one of the local newspapers (with follow-ups in the other one)
I came out to much of the UK through the gutter press doing a hatchet job on the story in the first local paper
I came out to much of the rest of the world when the gutter press version went viral
I came out to some Canadian family members in a hotel room just after a wedding and to others via facebook
The most recent was by phone to a cousin in Wales whilst I informed him of my father's death last year

flatlander_48
11-27-2015, 07:22 AM
For me, coming out as transgender:

Individual discussions with 4 close friends in person
Individual phone conversations with my daughter and son
Individual E-mails to 3 close friends who live elsewhere
Discussion with my department manager in person

All this was in preparation for:

Mistress of Ceremonies of our SteppingOUT with Ian Harvie event in front of ~130 people, dressed as DeeAnn
Giving the monthly update for out LGBT affinity group to science and technology leadership, ~50 people, photo of DeeAnn
Presenting the transgender part of an Inclusion In The Workplace training session, 22 people, photo of DeeAnn

All of this occured in just under 1 month.

DeeAnn

Kate T
11-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I don't know if it counts but next March I will be coming out to over 100 veterinary colleagues as we compete in our veterinary associations sailing day (OK, compete is a loose word for drinking lots of alcohol and eating prawns :)) sailing 40' ers on Sydney Harbour (most beautiful harbour in the world. OK, so I'm biased :p).

LeaP
11-27-2015, 11:51 PM
Oh, it all counts. Some are just more cinema-worthy than others. We were on the beach today where they filmed Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific. Alas, no-one left in this vacation party who doesn't already know. Such a waste.

flatlander_48
11-28-2015, 02:06 PM
sailing 40' ers on Sydney Harbour (most beautiful harbour in the world. OK, so I'm biased :p).

K T:

I've seen Sydney Harbour from the roof of the Sydney Tower. While I don't know it it is the Most Beautiful, it is certainly impressive!

Happy Sailing,

DeeAnn