PDA

View Full Version : Transvirtual

AlleyKat
12-06-2015, 02:19 PM
I just wanted to share a story that is maybe a small glimpse into the future of this culture.

My son is just barely nine. Me and him both play a lot of video games, and I've noticed a trend. He ALWAYS plays transvirtual. In the latest Pokemon games you can customize your outfits, and he spent more time making sure Éllia's (his go to girls name) outfit was on point (with the aid of my SO at the time) than he did actually getting through the story.

Even though I'm doing nothing to encourage or discourage this. It makes me happy that at his age he has his own private world where he can explore that side of himself safely, and I wonder how many of the next gen cd's and tg's are already finding their place in a virtual world.

EllieMayxxx
12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Ive been playing video games since i was 4, (now about to turn 19 on the 28th!), and i think when i was 13 I started making female characters on my games and it really helped me explore this side of me. When ever i play a game when you can select your gender I always go with a female character. I remember the first time I was exploring myself i was playing saints row 2 and I made myself but as a female and i had never connected so well with a game before, it helped me learn a little about what clothes go with waht, the choices on that game were so wide because I think there were 4 shops and they all sold a different style in each so experimenting with different styles was so fun for me. That is why I love gaming.

Charlotte xx

MissDanielle
12-06-2015, 02:47 PM
There's been times I've played golf on the computer as a girl.

Brandy Mathews
12-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I ALWAYS play as a female character, just feel better that way.
Hugs,
Bree :)

Jamie Lynn
12-06-2015, 07:11 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere, Miss Danielle!:heehee:

MissDanielle
12-06-2015, 07:21 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere, Miss Danielle!:heehee:To be fair, I AM a girl on the inside. I just needed 31 years to realize it :)

Robin414
12-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I saw a you tube video about online gaming where a dude presented as a chic but it had audio as well and he...well...MASTERED a femme voice! The video was all about how amazed some guys he was online with were when he 'came out', nothing negative other that a couple wise cracks 😉

Ahh, technology...when we eventually transcend 'gender' will be a whole lotta...??? 😉

AlleyKat
12-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Omg how did I not think of that. That'd be such an interesting place to practice femme voice.

It's even easy to record to listen to yourself after!

EllieMayxxx
12-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Omg how did I not think of that. That'd be such an interesting place to practice femme voice.

I would definitely try this but my gamertag has my male name in it so it wouldn't work lol

IamWren
12-07-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm not a gamer nor have I ever been so I don't really know the culture. So it surprised me when searching youtube vids for how to practice a female voice that a bunch came up from gamers giving tutorials on how to do it for multi player games. Seems like I've heard that gamers can be very misogynistic so it's a curiosity as to why some gamers take on a female role with intent of trolling and fooling other males, which is what the tutorials said was the purpose of doing a female character and voice.

Any insight on that?

EllieMayxxx
12-07-2015, 07:56 AM
You go into a game lobby pretending to be a female so other guys will try and flirt with you. After a couple of games you put your man voice back on and the guys that were flirting normally start getting mad. If they get mad then you have done a good job.

crotchhiboots
12-07-2015, 09:07 AM
I like to play games that I can cross-dress my male avatar such as Saints Row 2, sa 3, sa 4, Fable 2 and Fable 3. Does anyone know about any other games on Xbox 360 that you can do the same?

Gabby6790
12-07-2015, 09:39 AM
My seven year old son downloaded a fashion app where he got to dress the girl. He had a lot of fun with it and and we didn't make a big deal. We just treated it like it was just like one of his drawings of a ninja but I was happy inside that he is able to express himself.

AlleyKat
12-07-2015, 11:05 AM
That's the same way I feel.
I'm glad he's having little chances to be comfortable with himself. If he does come out as a cd or tg when he's older, I know that both he and I will have hell to pay from his mom.
Maybe if he's had some safe time he'll be more ready to deal with what she slings at him.

Mayo
12-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Playing a woman for 8 years in a MORPG was a major step toward questioning my gender identity.

Lily Catherine
12-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Maybe not a video game in the strictest sense: there are more transvirtual Second Life users than anyone gives credit for. I'm one, I've spoken to many more (both MTF and FTM). There aren't usually hitboxes and agility at stake anywhere on Second Life so I'd say the usual pragmatic reasons (tied to character statistics) for choosing an opposite sex character don't apply here.

@Sue, regarding male gamers especially using female characters for trolling purposes, what came to mind first would be a stereotype of guys being generally patronising towards female characters and giving them a fair amount of freebies and stuff. Which is quite sad really. I don't condone this kind of behavior, though outside of dating ingame the gender of the gamer behind their screen is entirely inconsequential to me.