PDA

View Full Version : Big step for me today - Trying on clothes at the store.

Julie1123
12-07-2015, 11:35 AM
One of the things I've had the most trouble with clothing wise is getting tops that fit right. Either ordering them online or buying them at a store but not trying them on. Well today I finally did it! I tried a couple tops on at the store before I bought them. Now I'm sitting at home, wearing the top, feeling comfortable, and being happy.

Rachael Leigh
12-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Oh for sure trying on in the store is best even en drab I hate when things dont fit or look right
Now it will get easier each time you shop Julie

MissDanielle
12-07-2015, 11:46 AM
That first step in store is huge.

AlleyKat
12-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Congratulations!
Super jealous that you can dress at home, still haven't worn what I bought in store.

tanya_cd
12-07-2015, 12:06 PM
One of the things I've had the most trouble with clothing wise is getting tops that fit right. Either ordering them online or buying them at a store but not trying them on. Well today I finally did it! I tried a couple tops on at the store before I bought them. Now I'm sitting at home, wearing the top, feeling comfortable, and being happy.

Did you go en femme? Tell us more about your experience... reactions, etc... :)

Heather1
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
June,
I always try on at the stores with my forms and my bra, I can make sure of the fit so I don't have to return anything, SA's are very helpful if you are just up front with them
Heather

Jodi
12-07-2015, 12:54 PM
I most always shop in drab. I always try on before I buy. Mostly, I shop in the same 8 or 10 stores. The staff know me and are always eager to help. They automatically set up a fitting room for me. Stores where I shop consistently are Chicos, Soma, White House/Black Market, Banana Republic, Macys, BCBG, Coach, Ann Taylor, Ninewest, The Limited, New York & Co and Loft. Before they closed, I was a regular at B. Moss, Coldwater Creek, Cache, and Fashion Bug. As you can see I've shopped a lot of stores, and while shopping in drab, I have never had any problem shopping or trying on.

It has to do with attitude. Be positive, be honest, be polite, be friendly, and show you are a serious shopper. The SA's will fall all over you.

jodi

Beverley Sims
12-07-2015, 12:57 PM
First time trying on clothes left me scared as hell, an assistant saw me in a dress looked and said "stay there, I will get you a bra to make that dress look better."

I nearly dropped dead there and then.

I think it took me a week to come out of the clouds.

Karren H
12-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Congratulations! Can't even remember that far back but I do remember when I went into the dressing room... I was waiting for the "pervert" alarms to go off! Lol. But they never did and no one cared?

SamanthaP
12-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Congrats! I went on my first outing en femme just last week. Getting past the nerves was the hardest part, but it sure was exhilarating!

kittie60
12-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Great job June, it wasn't that hard at all once you got pass the nervousness.

Eryn
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
...I was waiting for the "pervert" alarms to go off! Lol. But they never did and no one cared?

I have the same memories, and I had the advantage of my spouse being along as a winggirl.

Seriously, though, the bottom line is that we are not intruders. We are customers and deserve the same consideration as any other customer. Retailers know this, and they also know that we tend to be heavy spenders, so we tend to be treated very well indeed.

The only exception is where an individual salesperson does not follow company policy and instead follows personal bigotry. This is very rare and in every case I've seen has resulted in a bad outcome for the salesperson.

Jenny123
12-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Congratulations. The first time is always the scariest, but as you found, it is a great feeling. Another thing I recommend is to just be honest with the sales associates - you will have a better shopping experience if you do.

jjjjohanne
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I recently made a new discovery about making tops fit me. I bought a few things that fit my shoulders, but weren't quite right elsewhere. I went to a seamstress and now they fit me so well. I feel so confident in them! It was fun standing there in the seamstress' shop in my femme clothes while she stood on the platform so she could reach my upper half.

Kevyn53
12-07-2015, 07:22 PM
I almost always try things on in the store. Then again, almost all of my femme clothing comes from second-hand stores and they really don't care what you're buying. and they're really friendly to everyone. Congrats!

Robin414
12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Way to go Julie, I think you'll find it gets easier as well!

One of my first fears was offending GGs.

"OMG, that gross sasquatch beast is going gross up the same《insert article of clothing here》I might actually buy, yuuuuck! 😠 "

But I've tried on clothing with other women browsing around and not a single word, and believe me I was listening 😉

Julie1123
12-08-2015, 07:24 AM
A few more details for those that were curious. I was in guy clothes and I kind of cheated. Had a hand basket with the clothes in them. I put a pair of guy jeans on top that I had no intention of trying on. I was a bit nervous going up to the dressing room desk as this store typically counts your items and gives you a card with the number of items on it. I lucked out and the SA was on the phone and she just waved me in. Even in the dressing room I was still nervous as hell. Paranoia over hidden cameras. :D Tried on the tops but couldn't quite bring myself to try on the bras I had picked out. Will end up having to return one of them. One of the tops was a bit tighter than I thought it should be. Walked out of the dressing room area. Returned the jeans to the shelf. Went back over to the women's section and swapped out the one top for the next size up and headed over to the cash registers.

JanePeterson
12-08-2015, 07:54 AM
You are so brave! I'm terrified to try this especially in a small town...

Julie1123
12-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Jane, if you went in looking like you do in your profile pic I don't think anyone would even bat an eyelash. You might turn some heads though.

JanePeterson
12-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Thank you!! My job is one where if I'm spotted by the wrong person it could have major complications... Hopefully I can work up the nerve to do what you did someday when I'm out of town

Julie1123
12-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah. Know what you mean. I'm not sure if I would ever have the nerve to go shopping while dressed.

bridget thronton
12-08-2015, 09:46 AM
well done

Krisi
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't try on women's clothes in the store because I would have to have my breast forms and padded hips with me. Krisi and Homer wear different sizes. I know about what sizes I wear and if I get them home and they don't fit, back to the store they go.

BTW: Sneaking around the dressing rooms and hiding things in your basket are good ways to draw attention to yourself. You will be suspected of shoplifting. It's best to just act normally and not try to hide anything.

Steph22
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Good job. I've done that once trying on capris while in drab but wearing panties of course. It was quite a thrill but scary too.

Jamie Christopher
12-08-2015, 10:11 AM
If I'm shopping in drab and I find a top or skirt, pants (whatever) I just take them to the men's dressing room and try them on; I've never had any problems at all.....

Jamie

Julie1123
12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
BTW: Sneaking around the dressing rooms and hiding things in your basket are good ways to draw attention to yourself. You will be suspected of shoplifting. It's best to just act normally and not try to hide anything.

Definitely. There was no sneaking involved though. Was all very casual. Just had the jeans laying across the top of the other clothes. I wasn't really trying to hide the other clothes, was just more of having something a guy would try on to show to the person at the desk so it wasn't completely obvious I was trying on women's clothes.

EileenW
12-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I have shopped in drab before but have come to realize I need my breast forms and padding to determine how the clothes will fit. I also appreciate the help that a good SA can provide in selecting the right clothes.

Last time I went shopping dressed was for jeans. I walked into the store told the SA what I wanted based on their website selection. She grab a couple of sizes and led me to the dressing room. Tried on the jeans, then showed them to her. She suggested I try a couple of other styles. After a dozen different jeans, found a pair that fit beautifully. Never would have found them with out the SA help.

Jodi
12-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Thank you!! My job is one where if I'm spotted by the wrong person it could have major complications... Hopefully I can work up the nerve to do what you did someday when I'm out of town

Jane, My shopping is done in stores at least 50 miles from my home. You just might want to do the same.

jodi

Petra1
12-12-2015, 07:45 AM
I did that earlier this year for the first time at Sears. No clerks at the dressing rooms. I did take in some drab clothes, too. Tried on a skirt and some Kardashian boots. A month or so again, I went in to a shoe store and, out in the open in drab mode, quickly snuck on a pair of heels to check for size. Trying on tops and dresses however, cannot happen without having the "girls" with me. Not ready for that, yet.

Tracii G
12-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Its not as hard as some make it out to be huh Julie?
The ladies at Chico's are the best they love helping us find that special outfit.
If you are in guy mode just walk in and when the SA asks if you need help tell her what you are looking for and they will take you right to the item.
Just be honest, cordial and act like its normal to wear clothes of the opposite gender.