PDA

View Full Version : What do they call me?

dannilyla62
12-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Today I'm a trans-female.Officially have changed name and gender.I'm Danni Lyla now.What do I have my daughters call me?I'm not their papa no more.I also have a grand daughter thats 2 years old.What should they call me?I'm open for any suggestions. Danni

arbon
12-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Wow! Your transitioned and have not figured that out yet?

The answer is - what they and you are comfortable with.

Bria
12-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Danni, you will always be their dad, no matter what, you will always be your grand kids grandfather. What you and they are comfortable with is the answer as Arbon says. I hope that you can become comfortable with the idea that you are still dad, even if by another name!

Hugs, Bria

PretzelGirl
12-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Ask them. It is that simple. My kids are all at Mom/Momma Sue except one daughter who still Dads me in private and then back to Mom in public. If that gives her comfort.... We change a lot for our family. If a name or personal address gives them comfort, I say go for it unless it really triggers dysphoria. If that happens, you are in a tough spot as we need to give some and not just demand. Love is a two way street. Good luck!

Aprilrain
12-09-2015, 03:22 AM
My kids call me April. Easy peasy.

AlyssaT
12-09-2015, 08:46 AM
How about Popette?

Jennifer-GWN
12-09-2015, 11:31 AM
I remain dad or by my first name. My son and I were talking to someone at a social event over the summer. My son knew the ladies son through sailing but I hadn't met her. When the question of who I was came up... So as to not make anyone uncomfortable I jumped in and responded that I was my sons Parent; hi my name is Jennifer.

Cheers... Jennifer

Nigella
12-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I know of one transwoman who told their daughter, outright, I'm no longer your dad, guess where that relationship went?

Our daughter still calls me Dad, and I wouldn't have it any other way, I am not that pretentious that I would want to take that away from her. Even her fiance call me her dad :)

If asked, which by the way has never happened, I would quite happily state that I'm her Dad.

Suzanne F
12-09-2015, 05:21 PM
My son calls me Fommy! My daughters call me their Suzanne.

Brooklyn
12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Congrats! My girls call me Ashley.

Eringirl
12-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Mine call me Dad. To others, I am their parent. I have dabbled with the thought of "Maddy"....but haven't chatted with them about that one. Bottom line...I know who I am, they know who I am, so what they call me really doesn't matter. What I hope the will do (and have so far) is refer to me as "her", not "him". That would bother me......

Ceera
12-10-2015, 11:42 AM
My 19 year old daughter says that if I ever do transition to full time female, she will continue to call me 'dad', since 'mom' in her mind will always be my late wife. She's very supportive of my feminine side, and when I am en-femme her personal preference is to refer to me to others as her 'aunt Ceera'.

Ask your kids what they prefer, and roll with it.

PaulaQ
12-10-2015, 12:51 PM
My sons call me "Paula." Its the easiest on all of us, I hope.

ReineD
12-15-2015, 04:32 PM
I heard an alternative on NPR recently.

The child referred to her parent as Mapa (combination of Mama and Papa).

It sounds feminine just on it's own, but it could also be a endearing way to call a dad too.