PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic parenting.

I Am Paula
12-12-2015, 09:53 AM
My little social/support group that meets once a month has started growing. Lots of new faces.
On Thursday, what was clearly a mom, and teenager came in. We meet in a coffee shop, so any age is welcome, although she was by far the youngest. The group has gotten to the size we can't talk to everybody at once, so the older, more extroverted of us try to move around, and see what's on everybody's mind.
I got to the Mom. She has known about her daughters gender issues all her life, and realized very early that transition was in the cards. Now, together, they have worked out a timeline for transition, and are working thru the steps. She has a therapist, endo next month, she's started laser on her face. They do this all together. These two have their act together!! Her daughter is not 'out' yet, so she only presents completely female at home, but they have their plan on how her coming out is going to work, and will deal with it when it becomes nessesary.
I can not give enough kudos to this terrific Mom. She totally gets it, and loves, and supports her daughter. I am convinced that this will be a transition that goes as well as one can.

antonyio
12-12-2015, 07:05 PM
its so nice to hear there is some out there was so supportive parents,good on her and you for the support

MissDanielle
12-12-2015, 07:29 PM
That's so great to hear how some parents can be understanding of their children's gender issues. I knew I had gender issues of sorts when I was 13 but I didn't say anything because I didn't realize that these were real issues at the time. We didn't have the education and awareness in the late 1990s that we do now.

I should have really known something was up when I turned to writing and reading trans fiction as a way of coping. When one shares a room with their brother and doesn't have a sister, let alone much privacy in a house, it's hard to really sort out their feelings. Long story short, it took me until I was 31 to realize I'm trans and woman enough to admit it. I've been reaching out to close friends to alert them so that they aren't shocked when I change my name on social media and email accounts in a few months.

My parents and brother were caught off guard because they buy into all the myths. To be honest, even though I knew something at 13, I didn't say anything from being teased enough as it was in school. Though it may explain some of my music, movie, and TV choices over the years (I still won't watch Lifetime movies except for rare instances).

EllieMayxxx
12-12-2015, 08:12 PM
That is great. I have so much respect for her to accept what is quite a difficult subject for some people.

PretzelGirl
12-13-2015, 12:38 AM
I have met many mothers who get it. For some it may take some time as education has to take hold. Kudos for her and with her child the best!

Eringirl
12-13-2015, 04:39 PM
That is awesome Paula! Good of you to get around to chat with her and make her feel welcome. We have young parents in my group that bring their 4 year old who presents female and are going with it for now to see how it all unfolds. It is so nice to see and sooo different from "back in the day" when I first started down this road....I hope she continues to come to your group.

Chat soon....

ReineD
12-16-2015, 03:44 AM
There are so many parents today who are on board. Good for them. Their kids will be much happier and will be spared from making commitments as the gender they are not. And the parents will be happier too, knowing that their kids are happy.