PDA

View Full Version : Sephora Appointment -can I do it?

JaimeCD
12-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I am very closeted around my dressing. A total of three people know (my wife and two very good friends). My holiday break starts Friday and my wife had suggested we go make-up shopping for Jamie. But she had forgot that she is helping in my son's classroom ;-(.
She suggested that I still go and have a nice day out. Last week I did some research around the local Sephoa, MAC and Ulta stores. I ended up picking Sephora because it is free but you have to spend $50 (the MAC charges $60 and Ulta $40) I told my wife and she said "oh you'll have no problem spending $50!" So I scheduled the appointment.
I am really excited about the thought of learning about how to do my make-up and developing a look (I asked for a daytime look and a vampy one). The plan is to hit VS and some other stores while I am out. I think I will be in drab unless I get the nerve to wear yoga pants and a top. But I don't know that I can do that. Of course a guy in drab sitting getting a makeover....
At the same time I am really nervous and keep asking myself can I go through with it. My wife keeps telling me how much fun I will have. But I am just scared. Any words of advice? Can I really go through and do this???

Laurana
12-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Just walk in like you belong there.

The days I got my mani/pedi and makeup tutorial I was wearing jeans and a tank top.

And yes,you will have no trouble spending 50 bucks. In fact be prepared for 100+

Sky
12-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Of course you can. The girls at Sephora are all amazing. Same at MAC and Ulta -they are there to help, they are all young, open minded and used to help cds.

Jamie Christopher
12-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Yes, you can do this; after you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. I adore the ladies at my local Sephora, and we do have a lot of fun; they're amazing!

Jamie

PaulaQ
12-14-2015, 05:10 PM
You'll be treated well at Sephora. It was the first place I went to get makeup, and to get a makeover. Pay attention, and get them to explain what they are doing, and that you are trying to learn. You'll get a lot out of this I suspect. They will treat you with dignity and respect. And yes, be prepared to spend more than you expect. Also, if they try to foist really, really expensive product on you, ask them for a less costly equivalent. Some of the Sephora and makeup forever items are really good, and way cheaper than some of the other brands they carry.

OCCarly
12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
I am mostly closeted too, but if I were getting my face done in a mall store like that, and shopping after, I am not going in drab. My battle dress of choice for that assignment would be skinny jeans and an oversize sweatshirt over a nice, feminine t shirt (bra optional), and I would toss a pair of sweatpants in the trunk of the car for chicken outs and emergencies. And I would carry my Coach messenger bag.

Robin414
12-14-2015, 11:11 PM
I had a private consultation at MAC a year ago (when the pink hurricane first hit me after 20+ years of calm weather 😉 ) and even though I was just getting advice (and a boat load of products) I was nervous as all heck! That said though the staff are super supportive and some even have TG makeup artists on staff (I've heard that TG ladies are the most talented, I kinda get that). I went in the morning on a weekday as well which helped, I wasn't so nervous about the staff as I was about the other customers...seriously beautiful young women...

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, it was a completely comfortable experience but just a couple things to phsycologicaly keep in mind ☺

Cheryl James
12-15-2015, 12:53 PM
It is on my bucket list. I'll be watching to read your report of how it went. Good luck!

JaimeCD
12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I ended up calling them to push the appointment back a half hour and they were so nice and friendly. They didn't even ask my name just went to the computer and came back and said is this Jamie. So that made me feel a little more confident.
Today I am still nervous but the excitement is definitely winning out. I only have dresses at home so at lunch I ran out to Target and got a pair of denim jeggings. Unfortunately, couldnt find a top that was not ridiculously too tight.
I know nerves will start winning out again but at the moment I just cannot stop thinking about Friday.

Kayla_K
12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Done it twice. Great experience both times. I go femme less wig and forms. For some reason I have a hard time feeling ok wearing them without makeup. Always nervous until they get the concealer on. After that I loosen up. Last time, they had me put the wig on after concealer was applied. Hmmm... now I want to go get another one. Maybe Thursday.......:)

LindaAnne
12-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Jamie I hope all went well. I have gone to Sephora several times. Even though I still dress in private, I wanted to learn more about (and experiment with) makeup, nail polish, etc. The first time I went I almost chickened out. However I got up my nerve, walked in, and wow was it amazing! I was treated just like the woman I know I am inside. The salesladies were so nice! At first (but only for a few minutes) they thought I was there to get something for my wife. All of that changed (and wow did this take a lot of nerve to say this) when I told her the nail polish I was looking at was for me. She never blinked and kept on telling me about it. She even put some on my nail to let me see how it looked. We had a great time talking and I purchased quite a few things that day. I love Sephora as they could care less who or what you are. They are all sweet as can be and I've been back several times. One thing i'd like to try is a consultation and get some really good advice on putting on makeup.

mersades
12-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Can you come back to the store later and have them help you remove the makeup?

KrissyP
12-27-2015, 11:29 PM
So glad this thread was started. I have been trying to get up the nerve to schedule my own makeover appointment. I have learned so much reading these posts. I was focused on MAC and did not know that Sephora and Ulta did this as well. I will call them and check. It also sounds like you are supposed to show up without makeup on your face. I guess this makes sense though I did not think about it.

Thanks Ladies!

alison1977
12-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Sounds amazing! I sometimes catch myself watching the women through the glass at the mall wishing it was me in the chair...

TerriM
12-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Just do it! My first makeover was in 1978. I was going to a cd party. I got changed in my van and walked in. She did a great job and styled my wig. Since then I have had makeovers in dept stores. I like estee lauder. The makeover is free and there is really no minimum purchase. I go dressed and have never had a problem. Life is short

Angela Marie
12-28-2015, 06:51 AM
I have had makeovers at MAC, Sephora, and high end salons. All except the last were done out of town since my wife, although understanding, would not appreciate someone we know seeing me in a chair getting a makeover. That being said women and men that worked on me were great. They are understanding and non judgmental and really put you at ease. It was a great experience which I plan to do again soon.

CarlaWestin
12-28-2015, 07:40 AM
I know nerves will start winning out again but at the moment I just cannot stop thinking about Friday.

Yeah, I suffered from the nerves at my recent first makeover. Amy was so disarming and enchanting. And that moment of actually seeing Carla, the real Carla, for the first time in the mirror I will never forget. I think I actually said, "Well, hello there, you!" I hope the makeover went well. Pictures?

Kandi Robbins
12-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Do it! I was you a year ago and since I have had at least 5 different makeovers and attended 4 Sephora Beauty Classes, all filled with women and me! These have simply been some of the most fun things I have done, male or female, alone or with friends, just a ball!

Check out my Flickr page below and you will see one picture of me and my Sephora teacher!

MissTee
12-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Sephora is awesome. My favorite place. Been there for make-up classes, too. Go, you'll have a great time!