PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing the VA for HRT

Danika140
12-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Hello all! It has been a really long time since I have posted here.

I was wondering if anyone has used the VA for HRT and how long it took with mental health before hormones were granted?

Mackenzie.

Leah Lynn
12-20-2015, 12:36 AM
I'm doing hrt through the VA, 27 months now. It took about three weeks to see the shrink and she wrote the letter following my visit. I was set up with a therapist that was worthless, but soon was connected with one that is fantastic. I'm still seeing her.

The VA won't do any surgeries, but they will do post-op care. The VA has established several transgender clinics at major facilities.

Hugs,

Leah

ErikaS
12-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I have been using the VA as my primary care i am seeing a wonderful therapist for about a year now and have been on HRT sense Aug. It has been good but my Endo told me he really was not sure what to do but he is talking to another VA location Endo and working it out. so far its been very slow but i am fine with slow.

Danika140
12-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the replies! I was very hesitant to address this with my Mental Health provider, but I really like him and feel he is sincere about helping. I was going to him for PTSD related anger when I mentioned that I identify as MtF. He was really receptive and understanding, which gave me the butterflies of anticipation of being able to move forward with HRT.

Hopefully within the next few months I can report back with great news!

Rianna Humble
12-21-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm glad your mind has been set at rest over this and hope it goes better than a couple of years ago. Please don't be a stranger and let us know how you get on.