PDA

View Full Version : NHS gender clinics?

debstar
12-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if any one here has transitioned on the NHS and can share stories of the first gender clinic appointment?

I have been referred by my doctor and am naturally nervous as to how the conversation will go and what I might expect to get out of it aside from hormones. I feel like my fate is in their hands, and they have all the power or am I wrong... sure hope so.

Even if the appointment is an hour long that seems like a very short time to express everything I have been through.

Hope someone can help

BTW: for any one interested the letter I received predicted an appointment would be scheduled within 12 months. However I have heard others state this is generally a safe overestimation on their part.

Thanks

Debs.

becky77
12-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Hi Debs

I did/am although I started hormones privately.
They don't tend to discuss hormones on the first appt. it's more an assessment session, you tell them your life story basically.

My advice be yourself and tell the truth otherwise what's the point?
What power btw?

I have just had my 2nd referral for surgery and they are balancing my hormones and given me speech therapy. It takes time but they are there to help us.

debstar
12-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Yes my plan is to be honest, I'm a little exhausted at this point of pretending I am some one I'm not. Although past habits die hard ( as you know from another post)

By power I mean - and yes related to that other topic - they will have a check list that I must get 100% on or else they will just say 'sorry not trans, next!' i know that may sound silly, but I'm really fearful of being rejected and then what? back to zero, back to being half a person for the rest of my life.

-- edit.

By the way I'm not going in to this looking for a diagnosis unless it is justified. I would really rather some one could fix me with out transitioning but in my mind at least it's looking like the most plausible explanation at this stage.

Debs.

Janice Ashton
12-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi Debs,

Like Becky says, the NHS Gender Clinic (I can only speak for the Laurels) are very good and make you feel at ease. The first visit is nerve raking but they soon make you feel at ease, They will build a profile about you and your feelings and how GD is affecting you, after which they will consider if you should see a Consultant Psychiatrist who may recommend to your GP hormone treatment. Your treatment will begin from this point toward maybe surgery if you and the Doctors are of the same mind and only if this is appropriate for you.
Good luck with the journey and welcome to the community.

becky77
12-20-2015, 03:19 PM
By power I mean - and yes related to that other topic - they will have a check list that I must get 100% on or else they will just say 'sorry not trans, next!' i know that may sound silly, but I'm really fearful of being rejected and then what? back to zero, back to being half a person for the rest of my life.

Don't listen to the old stories, times have changed. If you need help you will get it, contrary to GIC legend they will treat anyone with Gender issues they don't say 'Oh you're gender fluid? On your bike' in other words you won't be rejected.
Get this Trans enough thing out of your head and just go with it.

On the flipside if it turns out this is not the right path, wouldn't you rather they helped you discover that then try tick an imaginary check list and end up somewhere not right for you?

Teresa
12-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Debs,
You might find the whole process has slowed down some, so many budgets have been cut back. I was seeing a gender counsellor through Relate and it just folded after six weeks because their overspend. It didn't affect me as much as younger couples who were desperate to get important issues sorted out.
Don't be concerned about being wrongly assessed it is a lengthy process and they will be sympathetic, they don't want to be responsible for any chance of you self harming, be honest with yourself as well as them. Try and be patient, I know it's hard when you feel so mentally unsettled and you want to get through it to live a more settled life .

debstar
12-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes totaly. As I said I am not all guns blazing to transition tomorrow. The whole concept is so life altering that I know I could loose my job because of it so that's why I'm really half wishing when I meet with them they will say 'oh turns out you just have a vitamin D deficiency' or somthing stupedly simple like that.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to delagitimize the issue, but for me I have a lot to loose (as I suppose we all do), I am public facing for the company I work for and it's an especially manly man environment. Having said that I feel the job issue is somewhat irrelevant as the way I am feeling these days about myself is actually having a negative impact on the work front.

And also I'm pulling this discussion off topic and just ranting now.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Debs.

emma5410
12-20-2015, 04:35 PM
It is nothing to be worried about although I know how nerve wracking the first time is. I went to Charing Cross. I was so worried about missing the appointment I stayed in London the previous night.
They will not prescribe you hormones on your first visit. It is normally on the second. Although the protocols have changed they probably will not prescribe them at all unless you have changed your name and gone full time.

Others may disagree but I am not sure how useful they are to the gender fluid. Basically the psychs are gatekeepers. They control the supply of hormones and access to surgery through the NHS. I do not think they have any purpose beyond that. I am not sure how much in the way of treatment they can offer in one hour sessions.

I agree that they are a lot more relaxed and broadminded than they (allegedly) used to be.

becky77
12-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Others may disagree but I am not sure how useful they are to the gender fluid. Basically the psychs are gatekeepers.

Depends what you require? I was told they help all people with Gender issues.
I just threw in Gender fluid off the top of my head. I doubt very much they would prescribe hormones but they may arrange therapy. My point was they won't just say you don't tick the TS box off you go.

debstar
12-20-2015, 05:20 PM
...Although the protocols have changed they probably will not prescribe them at all unless you have changed your name and gone full time...

Thanks Emma,

The "Interim Gender Dysphoria Protocol and Service Guideline 2013/14" I am looking at (and I am not sure if they are even implemented yet) link below.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/int-gend-proto.pdf

Suggest, if you follow the flow chart on page 6, that RLE is required only for SRS, hormones may be prescribed from initial or followup consultations (I'm a little unclear).

FFS also I am unclear about it RLE is a prerequisite but I have not read that document in full yet.

Debs.

Janice Ashton
12-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Debs
Just clarify a few points;
When you commence with the clinic you will be allocated a Psychotherapist who will work with you through all your GD problems and what you feel you need to help you, after this if the clinic through you Psychotherapist's reports will either assign you a Consultant Psychiatrist or continue with your therapist. As said previously the Consultant Psychiatrist will liaise with your GP if he/she considers you should to start HRT. From an NHS funding point there is no fund allocation for FFS or in most cases Breast Implant. Funding if approved is for SRS and some Electrolysis (limited) may be available. The whole process is lengthy but there is a reason for this as they have to be sure that you are 100% sure you want to Transition and all parties agree this the right decision. Also remember your medical condition along with health and mental state will be taken into account. Finally you will have to live in RLE for a period of up to two years before a final Psychiatric report from an independent Psychiatrist who has to agree with you clinical reports before a decision on SRS is given.
I hope this helps?