PDA

View Full Version : Mission Impossible - Crossing Legs

Jenna1561
02-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I am a plus size girl weighing in at 265 pounds and standing 5'10".

My problem is that no matter how much I try, it is nearly impossible for me to cross my legs. I know part of the problem is my downstairs plumbing and I've never really figured out the art of tucking.

Any tips or suggestions - all would be appreciated.

Jenna

Julia Cross
02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Can a GG do it? I don't know, but I would think it would be a similar issue, without the plumbing.

J

Darlene Rochelle
02-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I can't cross mine either. I am plus-size too but even at a lower weight I still had huge thighs.:cry:

Heatherov
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey Jenna:

First off with a face and smile like yours, they won't be looking at your legs.

However, in answer to your question, watch plus size gg's, they keep their legs under the chair, or as close as they can, and cross their ankles. They still look great and don't show anything that they don't want to.

Hugs Heather

Julie Avery
02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure it's a plus-size or a plumbing issue, more a kind of geometry trick where women's legs start out farther apart at the pelvis, making it easier to angle them toward each other from there on down.

My thigh muscles get tired really quickly if I even try to sit with my knees together and my ankles crossed, as of course it would only be prim and proper for me to do ;)

Jenna1561
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks girls, that's pretty much how I do things now (ankle cross, and knees close together). Was just wondering if there were any secrets that might be helpful.

Thanks for the compliments Heather. As many have said, a smile and attitude go a long way in presentation.

Jenna

MarinaTwelve200
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I have always wondered about that----Is it that my GUT is in the way, OR is it that a woman's hips are WIDER, making it easier to cross her legs at the thighs.

I can barely manage to cross my legs---and even then I have to physically move them in place with my hands---putting the lower leg to the side a bit helps some---the legs being crossed together at an angle away from the body to the right or left---and I can never bring the back of my knee entirely down to the knee of the lower leg.===The pose looks passible but it is not easy by any means

The "Plumbing" really is not in the way as it rides between the thighs--above the center contact point when in a straight up sitting position.

Danai
02-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't got any crossing problem....
I don't wanna try to sound rude or something...but..why don't you try to lose some weight instead?
My heart's with you girl...good luck...

DonnaT
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I use to be able to cross my legs, as many guys can, despite the plumbing. Now that my upper legs are bigger, I can't do it any more, and unless I lose the extra fat in the legs, I'll never be able to do it again.

mmandy31
02-16-2006, 12:10 AM
all i did was practice alot so now i can cross my legs:bs:

Jenna1561
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Danai,

Lucky you.

I, like many, are on the roller coaster of weight gain/loss. I do want to lose weight, but apparently not enough to go out and do it and keep it off.

I'm down to 265 pounds from a high weight of about 335 pounds a little over 2 years ago. So I'm working it down slowly. This last year has been an up and down battle - No significant net weight change.

Thanks for your encouragement :)

Jenna

Deborah
02-16-2006, 01:04 AM
It isn't all cake and ice cream for us skinny girls either. Bone on bone hurts.:cheeky:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7111/crosslegs2vx.jpg

Danai
02-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Danai,

Lucky you.

I, like many, are on the roller coaster of weight gain/loss. I do want to lose weight, but apparently not enough to go out and do it and keep it off.

I'm down to 265 pounds from a high weight of about 335 pounds a little over 2 years ago. So I'm working it down slowly. This last year has been an up and down battle - No significant net weight change.

Thanks for your encouragement :)

Jenna

335 to 265?????God girl you sure know howe to give a battle!!!Good work sugar...keep it up!

Carole
02-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Try sitting slightly more biased on one cheek (side of bottom that is), thus raising the other slightly making it easier to place one thigh over the other.

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-16-2006, 03:18 AM
It's three issues: women's hips are wider, which makes the angle slightly less (and therefore easier); there's nothing in the way; and women are generally more flexible than men.

This stretch (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html) and this one (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband_str.html) for your iliotibitial bands will help. In addition to those stretches, if you've got a foam roller, lie on your side, then prop yourself up and slide the roller perpendicularly under your thigh like so. (http://www.power-systems.com/news/01_26_06b.aspx) With your lower leg straight, roll it up and down the outside of your thigh, which will loosen the IT band. It's not exactly comfortable, so you may want to use your other leg help support yourself and take some of the weight off your thigh.

bobbie anne
02-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Hello. I am 5ft 8in @160lbs, I can cross my legs but feel much better with legs together and cross ankles. Feels much more feminine. Bobbie anne

TGMarla
02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
I also have no problem crossing my legs. But it's unfortunately true that in order to do so, you'll probably have to lose a lot of weight. It sure is easier to put it on rather than take it off, though, so I sympathize with your plight. Weight loss and stretching excersises are likely the key here, though. So keep fighting the good fight, and maybe one day you'll get there. Good luck!

Laurie Ann
02-16-2006, 09:21 AM
I would love to be able to cross my legs but two bad kness make that very hard.

swiss_susan
02-16-2006, 09:22 AM
My thighs are very large for someone of my size and I have never had a problem crossing my legs. Actually I have been asked if its comfortable sitting the way I do before. Remember not all GG's sit the same way either.

Susan

Robertacd
02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
This stretch (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html) and this one (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband_str.html) for your iliotibitial bands will help. In addition to those stretches, if you've got a foam roller, lie on your side, then prop yourself up and slide the roller perpendicularly under your thigh like so. (http://www.power-systems.com/news/01_26_06b.aspx) With your lower leg straight, roll it up and down the outside of your thigh, which will loosen the IT band. It's not exactly comfortable, so you may want to use your other leg help support yourself and take some of the weight off your thigh.

There's your answer, stretch and practice, practice, practice...

I have aslo noticed most larger woman (like me too) do not cross their legs and much as skinny girls do anyway, specially if they are heavy in the thighs.

Jenny Warren
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Arthritis in my knww and hip make crossing my legs a chore.

It's not the actual crossing them, it's the ache I get after about 10 minutes, plus the fact that when I stand up again I can't walk very well.

Ahh to be young again......

Jenny

cd-Jennifer
02-16-2006, 10:21 AM
It helps allot if I set on one cheek before I cross and then I can stay crossed for a long time.

Jenny

KathrynW
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
It isn't all cake and ice cream for us skinny girls either. Bone on bone hurts.
Oh yeahhhhh....you skinny girls have it SOOOOO Roughhhh!
NOTTT!!!! ;)

JoAnnDallas
02-16-2006, 11:12 AM
As you can see from my avatar, I have NO problem crossing my legs. In fact I usually sit that way even in drab. I even find myself at times placing my hands on my leg right in front of my knees. At times I will also switch legs and have noticed that usually keep my legs close together as they will rub against each other as I change postion. I hardly every cross mine like a male does.

Cheery GG
02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
|From a gg's point of view.....and in response to an earlier post in this thread, i too cannot cross my legs, at least not comfortably....i think its more to do with leg length and width, than the size of your package.....lol

cheery
xx

Kimberley
02-16-2006, 02:03 PM
|....i think its more to do with leg length and width, than the size of your package.....lol

cheery
xx
I LOVE British humour!!! Too funny!

BTW. It is natural for me to sit legs crossed. (No jokes Cheery) One of the things they didnt beat out of me as a kid.

Lindahexi
02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Crossing my legs comes naturally to me, I find I'm very comfortable sitting that way, like JoAnn I find I almost always cup my hands together and rest them in my lap.

Jenna1561
02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks again everyone :) This really is such a great group for support and advice.

Roberta, thanks for the links, i will try those stretches/exercises tonight when I get home from work. I don't have a "roller" but will find something I might substitute for a while.

Jenna

Cheery GG
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I LOVE British humour!!! Too funny!

BTW. It is natural for me to sit legs crossed. (No jokes Cheery) One of the things they didnt beat out of me as a kid.

KImberely,

Actually that was me being serious.....for once.....lol, however if he cant cross his legs because of the size of his package, i wouldnt mind meeting him.....rofl....

cheery
xx

Kimberley
02-16-2006, 02:53 PM
KImberely,

Actually that was me being serious.....for once.....lol, however if he cant cross his legs because of the size of his package, i wouldnt mind meeting him.....rofl....

cheery
xx
Cheery,
If that is the case, playing hopscotch would have been h**l

Robertacd
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks again everyone :) This really is such a great group for support and advice.

Roberta, thanks for the links, i will try those stretches/exercises tonight when I get home from work. I don't have a "roller" but will find something I might substitute for a while.

Jenna

Actulay they were Marlena Dahlstrom's links, I just quoted them...

But you are welcome anyway...

Jenna1561
02-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I must have missed the first links, probably read them while I was tired or something. But thank you Roberta for giving credit where credit was due.

For someone out of shape like myself, the stretches can really be felt!

I'll let you know if they help with the leg crossings, but I'm sure they'll help overall fitness.

Again thanks, and sorry I missed them in Marlena's post.

Jenna