PDA

View Full Version : Visiting 'traditionally male' enclaves' en femme?

Helen 2
12-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Last Saturday I had a lot of things to do and it was the last day before my wonderful but DADT wife returned from a trip. One of the items on my 'honey-do' list was visiting a Firestone store to remove the all-weather tires and wheels on her car and install her snow tires (Blizzaks) and wheels so as u can imagine, I had the 'do I/don't I' dilemma. Of course, the 'pink fog' prevailed.

I chose a sweater dress w/tights and a nice pair of mid-heel boots, typical Northwest wear for this time of year and went to the shop at my appointed time, after I had run a few errands, visited a wig shop to try a few different wigs and to a beauty supply store to get 'stickies' for my stick-on nails.

Two male customers at the tire shop and a few others that came in and out while I was there. Of course I was clocked by the service attendant and the tech and probably by a lady customer who also came while I was there and yes, I felt that maybe I had gone too far in my 'pink fog'.

Any other narratives of similar 'outré' outings to more traditionally male venues?

Merry Christmas!
Helen

CynthiaD
12-24-2015, 12:17 PM
I often shop at cigar stores en femme.

Tracii G
12-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Good for you Helen represent!!!

Helen_Highwater
12-24-2015, 01:27 PM
I have been into that revered of all man caves the DIY superstore a couple of times. Never anywhere I needed to sit and wait as you did; well done you.

docrobbysherry
12-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Not a chance in hell. I prefer a root canal over going out to vanilla venues dressed for no reason!

I think that was very brave of u.

Rachael Leigh
12-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Helen sounds great, yes you got clocked but you were dressed as you wanted and you had a good time.
Good for you

Beverley Sims
12-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Helen,
If I am likely to get clocked in male enclaves I choose not to be brave and go there.

I will drop the car off and let them change the tyres whilst I do other shopping.

Buying hardware and building supplies does not involve the amount of scrutiny as a tyre shop.

Lorileah
12-24-2015, 02:52 PM
so THAT'S why the world stopped spinning Saturday...it didn't did it? So you got made, no one cared and you got the work done, right?

Early on for me someone told me, act like you are supposed to be there and no one will really care that you are

Rachelakld
12-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Tyre shop, mechanics work shop, tool shops, just anywhere & everywhere. Pretty much clocked most places, just don't care anymore
Did I mention visiting war ships?

jenniferinsf
12-24-2015, 03:15 PM
i have not visited warships but i am with rachel....everywhere and anywhere..no worries no problems

Allisa
12-24-2015, 03:16 PM
I go to any venue in femme if I need to do or buy something. I find it very reassuring of my femme self in the world. Being "made" (clocked) is just second nature now and sometimes even turns into an informative discussion. Until I see a sign forbidding me from entering I will go anywhere I feel a need to, if they don't want my money I'm sure I can find someone who will. Glad you had the "nerve" to step out of the "box".

pamela7
12-24-2015, 03:56 PM
i'm still wary, sometimes I do go to the diy store dressed andro, other times it's just easier to put on old working clothes.

Eryn
12-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Well, does the Reagan Library count? That's a pretty macho venue!

I shied away from visiting male venues like auto parts stores while dressed, but one day I lost the oil filler cap from my car due to stupidity. I needed a cap right away so I zipped down to the local Autozone. I forgot that I was in casual femme until I was ma'amed by the counter guy!

So, no problem at all.

Lorileah
12-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Just a thought here. I am a single woman. I don't have the option of a male SO to do things for me, so why, may I ask is it a problem? Every lumber store here has female SAs, I have seen female plumbers and electricians. One of the best mechanics I know is a woman. So why are you worried? Will you be doing something that will call attention to the fact you are biological male? I do understand that you have fear being out. I get that, but why would you think being in a tire store, or DIY store, or auto parts store be different than being in a candy shop, or dress store, or makeup place? I stay from places where physical harm is possible, a tire store isn't one of them. In fact, last time I was in one, I was treated better than as a male. No I have not lost my ability to change a tire or add oil...

The OP even states a cis woman came in. Did she look nervous. Did she hesitate with all those men? What was the fear trigger for you here?

reb.femme
12-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi Helen,

No, I can't even equal your feat let alone offer a better version. I shall go out on Boxing Day and buy a bonnet, so that I may doth it in your direction.

I often shop at cigar stores en femme.

I think, *ugger me, could you pick a more man style place?...kudos to you too.

I really am a wet wimp in the presence of you two, now get lost and stop making me feel useless. :heehee:

Becky x - doling out big respect

Judith96a
12-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Does a Model Engineering show count? 99% male and 100% nerdy! I'm still trying to decide whether to go drab or en-femme.

Heidi Stevens
12-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Wow Helen, Firestone is a pretty macho place. So what would you do if you went into a Bass Pro? I did last month and had a great time!

Eryn
12-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Just a thought here. I am a single woman. I don't have the option of a male SO to do things for me, so why, may I ask is it a problem?...

It isn't. It seems to be a phase that TG folks pass through if their journey carries them far enough. I certainly did it and still do to a point.

Mimi and I are in the process of buying a new car. I "boyed up" to go to the dealer. Black, baggy polo shirt, jeans, hair tied back, tiny gold studs in ears. Didn't work, as I still was gendered as female by the first salesperson we encountered!

...So what would you do if you went into a Bass Pro?...

Check the price on bricks of [unmentionable]? Girls gotta have fun too!

One of the places Persephone took me when I was first going out was Bass Pro, after a long day of outlet shopping. I love the Islamorada restaurant!

I don't see it as particularly masculine. Lots of things for women there!

http://www.basspro.com/Sleepwear-%26-Loungewear/_/S-12600002007

jjjjohanne
12-25-2015, 07:42 AM
I go out as a man in a skirt, etc. Masculine from the neck up. I have gone to a big-box hardware/building supplies store. I was SO nervous. No one cared. I avoided most people. But no one cared. I once was in a hotel lobby watching the television when a bus load of soldiers walked in. I think they just returned from a deployment. I decided to make my way out of there. They are serving in tough situations, and here I am lounging in pantyhose and a cute top. I am sure they would have treated me with respect... Sporting goods stores are not very macho places. I guess that's about all I can think of I have done. These days, I think I could go almost anywhere dressed. No one has ever given me a hard time while I was out dressed. I'm getting rather comfortable.

Angela Marie
12-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Interesting. I have been in many places fully dressed; makeup, etc. but never drab with female clothes. The closest I have come is wearing leggings out to shop. I did get a few looks but nothing bad. Credit to those here who go out in full dress mode. Would love to try. Maybe some day.

kittie60
12-25-2015, 08:12 AM
You did great, so what if you were clocked you enjoyed being out thats what's important. I do everything in female mode and enjoy it especially the time when I went to one of those rental places for construction equipment and rented a small excavator to help a friend put in a new waterline in. The looks I got were hilarious. Just keep in enjoying yourself,and don't worry about it.
Merry Christmas to you

Kim_Bitzflick
12-25-2015, 08:12 AM
I've been to more places than I can remember while dressed pretty. Going to the typical "male" venues is something I just don't do in EITHER MODE. I rarely go to the auto parts store or auto repair shop (my wife usually does that stuff while I'm at work). I do go to the box box hardware/lumber store in boy mode, but never in girl mode. My girl side doesn't like to do that.

HOWEVER, I did go to get the oil changed in the car one time dressed in girl mode. It all went fine. No big deal.

Maria 60
12-25-2015, 08:18 AM
That's great, takes a lot of courage to do that. Even though you were dressed in fem it takes a lot of balls to do what you did.Lol. All kidding aside you should be very proud of yourself. What's nexts?

Rogina B
12-25-2015, 08:55 AM
People should just relax and go anywhere any woman would go to get whatever she needs. Once the newness wears off,you will never think about it again.

grace7777
12-25-2015, 11:13 AM
A few months ago I went to an auto repair place dressed en femme, and it turned out to be no big deal. Now I pretty well go everywhere en femme.

Kimkandy
12-25-2015, 09:05 PM
I've sometimes been to cinema dressed en femme

Sandie70
12-25-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't know if Walmart or Ross or Payless would be considered a "male enclave." However, I've gone to all these places, and many more, "en femme."

I know I've been clocked, but not that much. In fact, I was almost overwhelmed one day when a police officer held the door open for me and smiled at me when I entered. And it still gives me a flush when a clerk addresses me as "ma'am." Also, I remember the day I braved the entire day shopping for hours... in heels. It may have been my imagination, but the heels seemed to have removed any doubt in the eyes of "clockers" that I was anything other than a GG. Since I can parade around in 3 1/2 inch heels better than most GGs... it helps me to "pass."

However, since I seem to get eye rolls from yellow-toothed good ole boys who look like they just came from overhauling an engine... I still hesitate going to auto parts and home improvement stores.

And one note: as my wardrobe improves, so does my attitude. When I am wearing beautiful clothes, I interpret any looks I get as a compliment on my attire and nothing else.

jeni
12-26-2015, 12:57 AM
Congratulations on your venture. When I owned my repair shop, I used to get cd a in my shop, and you know what they were my best customer. I did fire one of my techs cause of remakes he made to and about them. I may be new to my female side, but all the post I I have read so far gives me some hope.

Launa
12-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Wow Helen, Firestone is a pretty macho place. So what would you do if you went into a Bass Pro? I did last month and had a great time!

One of my best friends that has gone full time and well on her way to transition works at Bass Pro Shop. She loves it there.

Launa

Krisi
12-26-2015, 08:44 AM
It's fine if you want to go out to stores, etc. dressed as a woman (from your description I can't tell if you were trying to pass as a woman or just a guy wearing woman's clothes), but if your relationship with your wife is DADT, what happens when it gets back to her? Isn't that a bit like "telling"?

Won't you feel a bit weird going back to the same store later dressed as a male?

For folks living as females, it's no big deal, you get up every morning, strap on your boobs and wig and go about your business. For part timers, it's different. You can't be a woman one day and a man the next in front of the same people unless you're willing to out yourself as a crossdresser. And your wife is willing as well.

Helen 2
12-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi Krisi, others...
First off, thanks for the many compliments and good thoughts....
Yes, I was definitely trying to pass and were it not for my voice -meaning, with whom I verbally interacted with- I did. The male customers who were in and out did not bat an eyelash or gave me much of a second look so yeah...as it is 90% of the time, I passed. The lady who came in and sat while I was still there....I have the suspicion she knew. Then again
a) women are much more attuned to CD'ers than men and
b) I really don't care

I must admit that once there, I felt a bit out of my comfort zone and would probably not do it again, but overall, it was a positive experience. I was treated well, nothing untoward happened...

;o) and hugs

Leslie Langford
12-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Sometimes, I really get annoyed and frustrated by this whole concept be being "clocked" and the mental prison we tend to construct around ourselves because of this fear.

Everybody gets "clocked" by others for one reason or another. If you're exceptionally tall, bald, have multiple tattoos or body piercings, you get "clocked" for that. If you are a "visible minority", openly gay, or wear clothing typically associated with a particular ethnic group or religion, you get "clocked" for being a member of that community. If you are a black woman who grows out her hair and dyes it blonde, you also stand out, as that is outside the norm as well. If you wear a three-piece suit and tie while the rest of the world around you wears sweats, flip flops, cut-offs, or assorted other casual clothing, people will make certain assumptions about you and your profession. It's just human nature to compare and sometimes even to judge in comparison with our own prejudiced standards that are largely based on our upbringing or other environmental influences.

So, within that context, we get clocked as crossdressers??? Who cares? Move along, folks, there's nothing to see here, and I don't think that the peasants bearing torches and pitchforks will be coming along anytime soon...

ChristinaK
12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
I've had my oil changed twice at the same place. The first time I was androgynous but with light makeup and nails. Stayed in my car. The attendant working with me was pleasant and did not display any negative issues. The guys working kept looking from an angle. Two started talking and looking at me, but we're both smiling.

TThe second time I was full en femme. I received the typical check out the lady in a sweater look from several, complete with smiles.

It worked out much better full on dressed. I have no idea if I was clocked. Gives one confidence, that's for sure.